The Riddler

Not looking good for Cod.

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Read the book, "Cod" a biography of the species. New England coast had so many at one time. One of the reasons the first settlers stayed in NE.  Cod fishing hasn't been good in 40 years or better

Cod fishing is a shadow of what it once was , mismanagement , overfishing by commercials bait decimation , you name it killed the cod fishing !

Gulf of Maine has been shut down for taking cod for several years by hook n line anglers . Certain areas they are so thick you can't get thru them when chasing haddock or other ground species !

So I'm not sure what Portland paper is referring to , maybe a limited commercial catch due to closure . 

12 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

So are the black sea bass.

ASFMC approved recreational black sea bass measures for 2019 while finding the black sea bass stock to be above the biomass target and not experiencing overfishing.

14 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

Stripers are heading in this direction

Yep, which is why we need to fight to stop it.

I concur, the book Jimmy Z references is an excellent read. First time I set foot on a party boat was a Viking cod fishing trip out of Montauk . I was a little kid . Pool fish was bigger than me. My last cod trip was close to 20 yrs. ago. Stellwagon Bank jigging trip. 6 of us +the capt. & mate, averaged 13-1500 lbs. of market sized cod, + a few wolffish , pollock. My crew & I would try to go twice a year. In a way , I can’t help but feel I contributed to the downfall of this fishery , along with the garbage cans full of whiting we took to the commercial smoker. Funny thing is , I can count on a hand & a half all the stripers I ever kept. Same thing with the Quincy flounders , I participated in the overfishing of that resource also.Confession is good for the soul . This also explains why I’m so aware of issues pertaining to conservation as I aged . I wish I had a solution . To think there are a lot of younger fisher folk who will never know the wonder of healthy fisheries is unfortunate . Bill J 

4 mins ago, oneeyewilly said:

I concur, the book Jimmy Z references is an excellent read. First time I set foot on a party boat was a Viking cod fishing trip out of Montauk . I was a little kid . Pool fish was bigger than me. My last cod trip was close to 20 yrs. ago. Stellwagon Bank jigging trip. 6 of us +the capt. & mate, averaged 13-1500 lbs. of market sized cod, + a few wolffish , pollock. My crew & I would try to go twice a year. In a way , I can’t help but feel I contributed to the downfall of this fishery , along with the garbage cans full of whiting we took to the commercial smoker. Funny thing is , I can count on a hand & a half all the stripers I ever kept. Same thing with the Quincy flounders , I participated in the overfishing of that resource also.Confession is good for the soul . This also explains why I’m so aware of issues pertaining to conservation as I aged . I wish I had a solution . To think there are a lot of younger fisher folk who will never know the wonder of healthy fisheries is unfortunate . Bill J 

Im one of those younger people you speak of only 2 years in. Garbage cans full of whiting eh? Yeah Id say that did some damage along with all the other people doing the same thing plus netters etc. Don't beat yourself up over it...hindsight is 20/20. I would have done the same thing. Thanks for sharing the experience and your brutal honesty!

While I agree that the GOM cod population is a shadow of what it once was if I'm not mistaken draggers have had a 200 pound trip limit for a few years after the recent drastic cutbacks which also led to the total rec shutdown, so to compare landings and value of the catch to the past is a bit misleading, lets hope the cutbacks work. 

Gee wiz, they overfish for generations and wonder why the resource has dwindled down to nothing.    :kook:

and yet these same ignorant people will petition to be allowed to go out and catch what little is left.

53 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Gee wiz, they overfish for generations and wonder why the resource has dwindled down to nothing.    :kook:

and yet these same ignorant people will petition to be allowed to go out and catch what little is left.

Same thing happened in Canada, earlier than it happened in the GOM, and no one ever accused the Canadian fishermen of "overfishing." Something is going on with the population and its not because anyone is catching too many fish. The Canadian population started to rebound several years ago, again, no one can say why. The GOM population looks like it might be starting to turn the corner, a few more years will tell. No one, commercial or recreational is targeting them anymore, and they haven't been targeted for a few years now. Everyone is trying to stay away from them so as to avoid going over their quota and having to stop fishing entirely.

10 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Same thing happened in Canada, earlier than it happened in the GOM, and no one ever accused the Canadian fishermen of "overfishing." Something is going on with the population and its not because anyone is catching too many fish.

So if not into nets, where did they go?