The First Ever..

Rate this topic

RedGreen

..rod built on this blank, of which only three have ever been rolled. 

Dramatics aside, I wanted to film myself casting a TH rod designed to throw 750 grains out front in an overhead cast. It's nice to see the flex profile from the side as it's pretty exaggerated just looking down the blank when casting. 

The rod is 16.5 ounces with a 2.5 ounce counterbalance and the reel with line added brings it to around 2 lbs overall. So it's not a feather but far from being unwieldy even at 14'. Yesterday we had winds from 10-20mph according to the forecast and I had no issues pushing this rod through the wind at all. 

Just wanted to post the video for giggles and for the TH guys to see. Cabin fever is pretty bad but I went fishing yesterday so it's better than it was a week ago. 

And I know my casting sort of sucks, it's been five months since I had any serious practice or routine. At least I could be worse!

There is some Creep and then you hit very hard and rod bends too much when blank is long and heavy. I can't see the line but I think there comes big tailing loop. Heavier line and smoother and bit longer casting stroke is better when TH casting. High stop on back cast and then Drift.

Esa

"Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once" 1939 Lee Wulff

Slow beginning and fast finish is better and then rod does not begin to straighten too early. I have tried to fix it on my TH casting last two years but it is damn hard when it has "built to muscle memory" so try not let it happen to you.

Esa

"Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once" 1939 Lee Wulff

Gotcha Esa. As I said, been five months. I have a lot of kinks to work out. 

Not increasing the line mass though. I want to have the rod actually be responsive and not be soggy. 750 grains is plenty for me to load it. I have a hard cast for a reason. 

I agree I am creeping a bit and I have issues with smooth acceleration. Lots of work for me to do. 

Esa Red does have a very  fast aggressive style. After  a couple of hours, fatigue might slow,him down a bit for the better.

I agree slow in fast out. Especially with longer TH rods.

It is his first outing so we can give him some slack and it was cold and a bit windy. LOL.

The small format was not easy for me to follow well.

750 is somewhere close for this blank depending on style used.

Yep if rod straightens prematurely it’s not helpful.

Bit of tuning up should do the trick.

It was  very illuminating seeing how world class Casters were casting at the world Comps last August. Pretty deliberate rod strokes to get the cast set up. That day it was tough with a very strong tail,wind.

These Guys and ladies were very smooth.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

Dougie don't be too envious my fingers hurt a lot on Saturday with heavy winds and 49 degree air temps. Harder to cast then than on this day though it still was blowing pretty good as you can hear. 

Good thing I didn't fall in. If you can believe that I didn't that is. 

I skunked too. Didn't even see fish in the shallows. Probably still too cold. I doubt I'll hook up with anything before April comes and even then middle of the month I'll begin to expect actually catching fish on my outings. I'm more self medicating my cabin fever than anything else right now. I can't stand to wait any longer. 

Like I said, been a long time since I cast any fly rod at all so I have kinks to work out. My casting always sucks the first hour but it cleans up a lot with time. Saturday when I fished my casting was way better when into the second hour and I was getting tight loops, smooth acceleration and a lot better casts. 

I am a bit punchy but it's something I'm working on. My biggest issue is getting smooth acceleration with the aggression I like while maintaining tracking and not overpowering at the beginning of my casts. 

This cast was cherry picked from several that were recorded. Some made me grimace. I have a lot of work to do.