victorjg

Envirotex yellowing on whites?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi

I love make lures and parr of them or complete I like to paint it white color. Looks awesome, but as final clear coat, the whites turns yellowing or a kind of brown is not very aggressive but enough to see that isn't real white.

Does anybody knows how to avoid it? Or if any other epoxy doesn't make this? 

Thanks

Victor G

Posted (edited) · Report post

How old is the resin ?

The resin does yellow with age and that affects the color of the cured epoxy, but if its fresh and the resin is clear there's no reason the epoxy isn't clear (or is it the hardener that yellows, mental block, but either way, principle is the same....)

I save the old stuff for heat sealing before paint

Edited by Sudsy

Were the plugs sealed with boiled linseed oil? Sometimes the sealer yellows beneath the clear epoxy, especially in the white areas, it's more noticeable.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks, I seal my plugs with water base polyurethane before my first coat of primer usually white, then I paint it, I don't have an airbrush I use spray can, when is finished the lure looks very nice the whites are whites.. I put the clear coat of envitorex (new) and the whites aren't the same they looks like yellow, if the lure is all white, it loose his purpose..

Edited by victorjg

Sealing with a water based paint poly or primer will not seal the tannins in the wood from bleeding through. Especially if you are using a cedar.

I like to use Kilz or Coverstain oil based stain killing primer, thinned down 40% with mineral spirits. 

Other guys prefer different sealing methods, but a water based sealer will not prevent the wood from bleeding through. 

37 mins ago, capesams said:

oil sealer with hardener's in it

2 coats oil primer

1 coat of oil flat white

color

finish.

T hanks to all for the advices, when you mention "oil sealer with hardener in it" you mean mix the envirotex with the oil sealer and apply to the lure , then 2 coats of the primer alone, then oil base white paint, ectt?

Thanks

urethanes...anything that is for exterior/marine use...not polyurethanes.

rule of thump.....you can put water base over oil but never put oil over water base.

On 3/17/2019 at 6:06 AM, capesams said:

urethanes...anything that is for exterior/marine use...not polyurethanes.

rule of thump.....you can put water base over oil but never put oil over water base.

Well that tidbit of information just changed my process. Thank you!