Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin Technician

FORE GRIP vs REGULAR ON A 11 WT.

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

FT

It really is not difficult to remove the extra grip. Take your time and use right tools and you can do it yourself.

Seems like a lot of money but it is the time it takes and the blank needs to be re finished once the epoxy is cleaned off.

scraping the epoxy off is the most skilful part of the process as you can’t risk the blank.

mike

I made a call to Sage today and at first spoke to someone in the repair department who was not sure if the were able to remove the fore grip, so he transferred me to a "technician" who said that they would not attempt to remove it do to possible damage to the blank. I can see his point of saying that this is their policy. The heat and scraping could ruin the rod he stated. I was told it is the exact same blank as my RPLX-1190 2 section and that he felt that the fore grip will not hinder or change the casting characteristics and that both 11's should feel similar.

His final advice was to ignore the fore grip and leave well enough alone. Another bit of information that he did mention was that even if I sent the rod in for a new butt section do to normal breakage, Sage always rebuilds and repairs to the original specs and format, which is a good thing. I actually said to him that I would never intentionally break a rod to get an upgrade, he said that too many people pulled that and that is the reason for orvis, ll bean and others changing their lifetime guarantees.

Regards,

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

Removing the cork if done carefully should not be that big a deal, the cured adhesive under it can be an issue. Options are careful application of warming and peeling, and there are several chemical options. If you want to try it when you're in my area we could mess with it, but it's risky. I was exposed to some chemicals doing disaster relief that left me with a permanent skin condition and pretty much ended my plan to play music in retirement, so you have to be really careful with some of this stuff. But we could start with milder solvents and slowly work our way up, then use some rod resin to give it a nice finish. Once the stripers start running let me know your travel plans, we can experiment.

Edited by stormy monday

2 mins ago, Fishin Technician said:

I am going to keep it as it was made..................why mess up a 1967 Corvette!  :-)

You want to borrow it for PR?

FT

Ah thanks man, leaving at 6:15 am tomorrow! From shore though most anything I'm going to catch will be fine on a 9 weight (has 2 tips just in case!). Last time I threw my 10 it killed my elbow and although I'm mostly healed now I'm gun shy! The only place I know where I can get into a legit 10 weight tarpon puts me in the company of 12 weight bull sharks so I'l be content with the juvies and live to see another day

OK, No problem.

Myself, I prefer a good old 10 wt over a 9, but again Spring of this year has not sprung and maybe my past abilities in body are now degraded to a level 8 rod!. I was always the young kid on the team and there is no team left except me.  I could be a #7  for all that I know.

:)

FT