Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishin Technician

FORE GRIP vs REGULAR ON A 11 WT.

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I like a long grip on any fly rod 8wt and up. My 10wt has a 10" foregrip and a 4" fighting butt. I extend the bottom section of my rods so I don't lose effective length when doing this. 

I personally subscribe to the philosophy that having more options is better than having less in almost any situation, so I prefer to always have a longer handle as the only real downside is a tiny bit of added weight. 

My opinion?  Who cares?  If you want it build it, what does it matter?  

BTW, thanks for your efforts in the PG forum. I just don’t know how to address the madness there. You are a better man then I. 

2 hours ago, Fishin Technician said:

Just wondering what the feeling is on fore grips versus none on 11 weight or 12 fly rods.

Regards, 

FT

A lot of current thought goes against foregrips, because the elevated hand position kind of eliminates the butt section of the rod from the fight. Check out the Andy Mills series on fighting big fish, tarpon, where he points the rod at the fish to get that fight right down into the butt section - a foregrip moves the fight towards the tip and less stiff part of the rod. 3 more days till my next Puerto Rico DIY tarpon trip, I'll only be using a 9 but can't wait!

49 mins ago, stormy monday said:

A lot of current thought goes against foregrips, because the elevated hand position kind of eliminates the butt section of the rod from the fight. Check out the Andy Mills series on fighting big fish, tarpon, where he points the rod at the fish to get that fight right down into the butt section - a foregrip moves the fight towards the tip and less stiff part of the rod. 3 more days till my next Puerto Rico DIY tarpon trip, I'll only be using a 9 but can't wait!

You can still point the rod at the fish with a fore grip. . .

Edited by Oakman

That was my point in asking this question. I have always used  regular rods , I have a 2 piece Sage RPLX 11 wt. that works for me, but I was just gifted the same rod in 3 sections with the fore grip. It feels awkward and in my opinion hinders the butt power of the rod compared to the 2 sectioned rod .

I might just send it to Sage and have them remove the fore section professionally, and go from there.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

I could see it for a REALLY heavy rod, something you'd use for bluefin or marlin, but not tarpon. Hell there's a lot of people looking at 10 weights for large tarpon these days. You could also remove the foregrip and grab a piece of pipe insulation, and if you felt you needed a foregrip slip the pipe insulation on there. But for an 11 you could also just grab the blank higher (which could contribute to high sticking if you're not careful)

Sage has gotten away from the fore grip.  Now you have the option of regular grip or the extended grip.  My wife likes the extended grips on her 11 and 12 wts.  I am in the other camp.  But I do like the extended grip on our 13s and 16s for billfish.  Jake Jordan uses his straight rod method on billfish and the extended grip males it much easier.   Personal preference

Fore grip update!  I went to Sage online and typed in " replace tip top guide, and remove fore grip" $150.00. 

I do love my RPLX'S  but I have just very quickly got use to the fore grip idea,  leave and don't use it unless I need it. I have two other regular grip 11's so this is going to be a back up rod.  

The older I get the more I think of 40 pound fish.......smaller is better and easier.! My 10 's are more than capable and more of a pleasure to use.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

I only have one rod with a fore grip - the Redington CPS 12w.  It's such a lightweight tool for a 12w that I think the fore grip is not really appropriate for it.  But the added cork adds so little extra weight that I don't find it to be a problem.  I just don't use it.  The funny thing to me is that I am nearly convinced that the 12w CPS is simply the 10wt CPS with a fore grip added.  They take the same lines as far as I can tell with both the 10w and 12w preferring an 11w tarpon line.  I also have no fore grip on my other 12w rods (Ross FC 12s).

If I had a bluewater rod with more guts (like a 13 - 14+ weight) I'd probably want to have a fore grip or an extended composite cork grip like in the Beulah heavyweights.