Knee replacement info needed

Rate this topic

nightfighter

Had MRI late afternoon. Had the tech crank classic rock on the headphones. Machine is loud... still almost dozed off... Very anti climatic. Now wait for it to be read and report sent to my primary doc. Have someone trying to get me in to see a top surgeon that is not taking new patients. Sit and wait around til Monday

Had my knee done in ’08 due to severe damage from an accident in ’02.   First off, the hospital for special surgery is highly regarded but it’s not perfect or a panacea.  Personally know someone who had his hip done there and had to have it done 3x before they got it right; there are no guarantees.  Don’t overlook a good hospital closer to home if it has a good reputation for doing this operation and has good surgeons; it could make life a lot easier for you.   

PT after surgery is painful, no getting around that. Just deal with it, give it your all and in the long run you’ll be glad you did as range of motion generally comes at a cost; pain in PT after surgery.   For me the healing process produced some sharp pain from time to time out of nowhere for maybe six months.  Was told this was nerve endings re-meshing, that it would pass and it did.  Kneeling was painful for almost two years after the surgery and required a cushion under my knee during that time.

Now going on 11 years and have had no problems since the original healing cycle.  One thing I will say contrary to some of the hype you may see/hear/read is about playing tennis and running; I have never felt the replacement was made for that and never will.  My surgeon advised me an artificial knee is never as good as the original equipment and to treat it with caution and respect;  I think he gave good advice. Best of luck luck with your surgery!

"I started out with nothing and I still have most of it"

On 3/15/2019 at 1:49 PM, nightfighter said:

Right knee folds up behind me, and I land on my back with the leg pinned under me and my heel hitting my butt.

Had this happen to me two years ago on a slight hill in my backyard because of loose, wet soil and it was quite painful.  It was nighttime and I was grabbing some wood for the stove.   I was able to roll over and get up after I finished cursing under my breath.   I limped in and new it wouldn't be long before the replacement.   My history with that knee is pretty much on par with yours as far as past surgeries.   Playing football and skiing definitely were the main reason for the injuries to my right knee.   

I'm getting my replaced next week and will be dealing with PT all next month to get my range of motion back.   I'm gonna fight for as much of it as I can get.   I'll need both wheels running at full capacity when the Albie season approaches next September.   Can't run the Hobie after Albies with zero range of motion in one knee.   Those little bugges will give you the finger and split.   LIckety quick.  

Good luck with your decision and possible surgery.

"For our discussion of kayak angling is no trifling matter but is the way to conduct our lives, nobody untrained in fishing may enter my house."- Fly's Plato

Had my knee done in '14, number two guy ar the time in NYS, Dutchess county area.  64 minute long procedure.  Out of hospital in 31 hours, on a stationary bike within 96 hours.  10 miles bike rides within 6 weeks.  Only first day home was painful.  No meds on time.  PT is a must.  Still can't kneel on the sucker without a pad.  not even for the catholic thing.  It just flat out hurts to kneel on it.  Doc some can most won't.  

When I had my right knee replaced last year (Dec 2017) I drove the next day and walked into the pharmacy on the way home to pick up my meds. 

I was in in the hospital a total of 10 hours, 3 hours in surgery.

Never went to PT for either knee, just kept bending it to get mobility, walking, biking, and climbing stairs.

i attribute my outcomes to a very good doctor and his ability to program the robotic cutter that was screwed to my shin bone and femur. You can’t get the same precision cuts doing it by hand - it makes a big difference. 

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, nightfighter said:

Marblehead. about twenty miles to Baptist, which is where I always thought I would have it done someday. Going to meet with a guy I have known in passing, who sells the replacement hardware and sits in on the operations. Want to know which hardware, who is really good at the operation AND has low/none history of infection.

Ironically some of the most advance techniques for Shoulder, hip and knee replacement, a majority of the procedure is done by robot rather than by a doctors hand. Thats part of the reason why athletes come back so soon. I would definitly look a sportsmedicine ortho.

I had Doctor Sastry do my operation he is just 30 minutes north of you Portsmouth and York. He uses the latest techniques   Look around on his site for info regarding the technique,

https://seacoasthipandknee.com/knee-surgery/

People come from all over for his procedure including europeans & Canadiens

also make damn sure everyone is "in network" for insurance reasons. No exceptions. Anesthesia alone can run up to 6K or more.

From what I understand knee replacement can be tough, tougher than a hip and easier than a shoulder, follow the post opp PT to the letter, no short cuts.You'll be glad you did.

Stryker is propably the leader in replacement "parts". They did have some issues with their ceramic products a decade or so ago but now use Titanium  and other materials.  

11 hours ago, nightfighter said:

So how long did it take to get your first appointment with surgeon and how long after that for surgery?

From my intitial visit, consultation &  x rays which was november ( after golf season) I decided I would my surgery done after the Holidays. I wasn't lame but still active. My doctor works in two nearby hospitals. I called him to schedule surgery in mid to late January. The big hospital could get me in in mid March, the other a "not for profit" could get me in in mid Febuary. I went with this one.  Same doc, same procedure and same equipement but the the non profit hospital was about 10-12% cheaper over all. 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, nightfighter said:

Going to meet with a guy I have known in passing, who sells the replacement hardware and sits in on the operations. Want to know which hardware, who is really good at the operation AND has low/none history of infection.

I was in the business 20 years ago, pick the surgeon who does the most knees, he's likely the best. Knees require varying degrees of soft tissue balancing to restore pain free function and ensure implant longevity. I doubt there's a robot for that ;) 

The PCL is what keeps your femur from sliding off your tibia when you descend stairs. Since your PCL is torn, you'll likely require a posterior stabilized implant. Back in the day, HSS (NY) was one of the few centers that routinely used PS implants for primary cases. Back then, the Zimmer Insall Burstein implant had the longest/best track record, due in no small part to the surgeons that advocated it and did a ton of them. Posterior stabilized implants require a larger femoral resection to accommodate the "box" that corresponds to an elevated spine on the tibial insert that replaces the PCL.

Find a surgeon that routinely sacrifices the PCL, they will likely serve you best. Good Luck!

:v:

Edited by gadwall8

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

On 3/20/2019 at 9:01 AM, gadwall8 said:

I was in the business 20 years ago, pick the surgeon who does the most knees, he's likely the best. Knees require varying degrees of soft tissue balancing to restore pain free function and ensure implant longevity. I doubt there's a robot for that ;) 

The PCL is what keeps your femur from sliding off your tibia when you descend stairs. Since your PCL is torn, you'll likely require a posterior stabilized implant. Back in the day, HSS (NY) was one of the few centers that routinely used PS implants for primary cases. Back then, the Zimmer Insall Burstein implant had the longest/best track record, due in no small part to the surgeons that advocated it and did a ton of them. Posterior stabilized implants require a larger femoral resection to accommodate the "box" that corresponds to an elevated spine on the tibial insert that replaces the PCL.

Find a surgeon that routinely sacrifices the PCL, they will likely serve you best. Good Luck!

Gad, Not sure I understand that last sentence about sacrificing the PCL.  Could you please explain?  My reason for asking is because both of my knee implants look like the PS you referenced.  My implants have that "stem" in the middle.  Is that a good thing?

Thanks!

An 8 oz sinker and a bunker head will only fly so far...

2 mins ago, GoBow said:

Gad, Not sure I understand that last sentence about sacrificing the PCL.  Could you please explain?  My reason for asking is because both of my knee implants look like the PS you referenced.  My implants have that "stem" in the middle.  Is that a good thing?

Thanks!

Virtually all tibial implants have a stem that fills the medulary canal, many also have "fins" to resist torque.  On the femoral side, back when I was in the business, I don't recall a primary knee system that had a stem. I don't think you can have a femoral stem and a functioning PCL.

In any event, my experience ended 20+ years ago, if your gear is working there's nothing to worry about.

Here's an IB II implant, you can see the "box" on the femoral implant, you can't see the corresponding spine on the tibial implant because it's UHMWPE (plastic).

IB2.gif.6794bb04e2ee5e586ac44b418b246b08.gif

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace