nightfighter

Knee replacement info needed

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I blew out my ACL in 1975 or 1976. Partial tear of MCL then too. Meniscus was cleaned up from a tear. Then second meniscus surgery within the next ten years. Fast forward to yesterday. Been living with bum knee full of arthritis for many years. Stepped forward with good leg onto foam mat at jobsite. Mat was to keep us out of water from melting snow... Left foot slides forward on the mat, which is sliding on the melt. Right knee folds up behind me, and I land on my back with the leg pinned under me and my heel hitting my butt. Doc thinks I have torn the Posterior Cruciate now. Scheduling MRI....

So... it may be time. I am a self employed contractor, or was when I woke up yesterday. Not being able to kneel on it would be a concern. But if I have any rehab ahead of me, I would like to be as pain free as possible on the other side of it. What do you know? 

And I am 61 years old.

my BIL is  a union tin knocker and had it done. had some complications duo to not being religious about the PT, but he was back to work relatively quickly and is still doing it....)his biggest issue, honestly, is his weight). 

I've had both mine done. Everyone is different and have different results. I cannot kneel on my knees without pads and even then, only for short time frames. So activities or work that required kneeling generally morphed into sitting to get the job done. Overall, much better than prior to surgery so I would say there's no reason not to get it done. 

I'm a candidate. I have no ACLs in either knee, surgically repaired meniscus in both knees. Recently each knee has been alternating giving me pain and walking problems. I know what's involved and have several close cousins who have had knee replacements doe. My ortho is recommending it, for both or either knee. I saw first hand what rehab is like and I went through rehab for my hip replacement, I've decided to put it off for as long as I can.

I had one done and I have to get the other done.

I kneel on it, but it feels weird, doesn't hurt.

I usually put a little foam thing down and it's fine.

Took me about 4 weeks to be 100%.

You have to push the PT as hard as you can, the key is range of motion very quickly, the strength can take a while, but you have to get the motion right away or you never will.

1 hour ago, nightfighter said:

I blew out my ACL in 1975 or 1976. Partial tear of MCL then too. Meniscus was cleaned up from a tear. Then second meniscus surgery within the next ten years. Fast forward to yesterday. Been living with bum knee full of arthritis for many years. Stepped forward with good leg onto foam mat at jobsite. Mat was to keep us out of water from melting snow... Left foot slides forward on the mat, which is sliding on the melt. Right knee folds up behind me, and I land on my back with the leg pinned under me and my heel hitting my butt. Doc thinks I have torn the Posterior Cruciate now. Scheduling MRI....

So... it may be time. I am a self employed contractor, or was when I woke up yesterday. Not being able to kneel on it would be a concern. But if I have any rehab ahead of me, I would like to be as pain free as possible on the other side of it. What do you know? 

And I am 61 years old.

Where are you cause i was gonna say go to Boston..........

Marblehead. about twenty miles to Baptist, which is where I always thought I would have it done someday. Going to meet with a guy I have known in passing, who sells the replacement hardware and sits in on the operations. Want to know which hardware, who is really good at the operation AND has low/none history of infection.

IMHO best bet, if you can afford it, is to have it done at the Hospital for Special surgery in NYC. I don't know if y son's knee guy is still there, his name is Dr. Wikowitz, but he was great. 

Funny how we all give and take advice on a fishing site about knee replacement. For those that have experienced the process, it seems clear that the PT is the hardest part. Not claiming to know a thing but you may want to investigate a doctor that uses laser for cutting the bones, supposedly its a new process and not many are using it yet. The main benefit is the recovery time due the the exactness of the cuts and less tissue, muscle and bone damage. I wish ya' luck, at 61, you have no choice, do it now when you know your able. 

I had both done one year apart. The second knee was done the week before Christmas. Both times I was back to work in a week, walking with a cane.  The only pain was the the incisions in the flesh, muscles, and nerves - the knee felt great from the start.  I never dit PT for either and I walk now with no pain or limp. I climbed stairs and walked every chance I had, that was my PT. Riding a bike works good too. 

Kneel and putting weight on the knee that was done 3 months ago is uncomfortable, and that just in the nerves, not the knee joint. It will fade over time, nerves take years to completely heal.

6 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Marblehead. about twenty miles to Baptist, which is where I always thought I would have it done someday. Going to meet with a guy I have known in passing, who sells the replacement hardware and sits in on the operations. Want to know which hardware, who is really good at the operation AND has low/none history of infection.

You might consider Dennis Burke md in milford, mass.

There is a lot to consider before undergoing this surgery. Do you have any concurrent medical issues such as diabetes, heart disease, compromised immune system, are you carrying more weight than you should? I don't mean to sound accusatory, however, co-mobidities can dramatically  impact the outcome of knee replacement surgery. if you are overweight, lose the weight first and then get the surgery. My Dad had Type II diabetes, a compromised immune system and was on steroids to suppress an autoimmune disorder. All three of those left  him vulnerable to infection and he does not heal quickly from routine cuts like most people do. He was also extremely overweight. Those were all red flags that any thorough surgeon would have said made him ineligible for knee replacement. No, a UPenn "Superdoc" said he was a prime candidate and he replaced both of Dad's knees in one shot. Long story short, both knees had to be replaced three times, Dad developed osteomyelitis and was on Vancomycin for six months. He could walk before the surgery but is now wheelchair bound. This doctor is a top-notch surgical mechanic, meaning, his technique is flawless. Where he fails is that he does so many knee replacements that complicated patients like Dad fall through the cracks and don't receive the follow-up care that they need. Think this one through carefully as once the surgery is done, you can never undo it. You could of course experience an outstanding outcome and I hope you do. Just trying to show that there are two sides to this coin and to take all of a surgeon's rosy talk with a grain of salt. Good luck.

My mom suffered with bad knees for years. It reached the point where just doing daily activities was an effort. They hurt all the time.

She had her first knee replaced at 72 and her second at 75. In both cases text book surgeries. 3 days in the hosp, then off to rehab. In both cases she was driving within a month.  She often told me she waited years too long to fix her knees.