JerseyBros

Why the hate: Penn Torque gen1

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Looking at picking up a Torque 7 gen1 to jig and pop tuna off Jersey, (under 150lb fish).

Other than the fact that they look goofy, a little heavy, and had some early issues with the rotor flexing (which penn updated) why do these things get looked down on? Everything I read about them was really old and all negative... is there any recent opinions about them?

I can't think of anything negative about the gen 1 Penn Torques. I used the 9s for sharks in Delaware in Florida and the reel's drag functioned great, no issues with any other part of the reels either.

The only negative comments I hear are people parroting how they heard that the Torques are not as water proof as Van Staals. I don't know anything about that, I don't skish.

I have two Torque 5. I also use VS reels. There are teo main issues that I have with the Torque.  The spindle for the handle is part of the arm and is aluminum. Sand and grit inevitably ends up in there and wears down the spindle resulting in play in the handle. Second is that the handle on the Torque 5 is horribly uncomfortable. The handle for the Torque 7 is more comfortable so that won’t be an issue for you. 

In terms of other issues, the Torques are

much less refined a product than VS.  Both of my Torques are very geary feeling. Also, it is a much less refined looking product. You can see clear casting marks on the arm and other parts of the body. Neither of these affect function but may reduce you ‘pride of owbership’  Personally I don’t care about that but I do care about the first two issues I mentioned. Having said that, I bought my reels for little more than the price of a Saragossa and it is well worth that price. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

I have two Torque 5. I also use VS reels. There are teo main issues that I have with the Torque.  The spindle for the handle is part of the arm and is aluminum. Sand and grit inevitably ends up in there and wears down the spindle resulting in play in the handle. Second is that the handle on the Torque 5 is horribly uncomfortable. The handle for the Torque 7 is more comfortable so that won’t be an issue for you. 

In terms of other issues, the Torques are

much less refined a product than VS.  Both of my Torques are very geary feeling. Also, it is a much less refined looking product. You can see clear casting marks on the arm and other parts of the body. Neither of these affect function but may reduce you ‘pride of owbership’  Personally I don’t care about that but I do care about the first two issues I mentioned. Having said that, I bought my reels for little more than the price of a Saragossa and it is well worth that price. 

I have a black torque 5 and mine doesnt feel geary at all but I know what you're talking about. it really differs from reel to reel. I thought about getting the new torque handle for mine which is supported by ball bearings and is much nicer. They are bulletproof reels though just like the vs but with more ball bearings, better line lay, and alot more drag. Definitely not as pretty as a vs and maybe not as waterproof but they found a middle ground and for the time it came out it was a great reel. The other plus is easier self service. And as far as being waterproof unless it's under water I've had no problems. I got knocked off a jetty and it sat at the bottom in 5 feet of water for 10 minutes until I found it and even though a little water got in it it was still functional and just needed a cleaning afterwards. 

Edited by Big Will

20 mins ago, Big Will said:

I have a black torque 5 and mine doesnt feel geary at all but I know what you're talking about. it really differs from reel to reel. I thought about getting the new torque handle for mine which is supported by ball bearings and is much nicer. They are bulletproof reels though just like the vs but with more ball bearings, better line lay, and alot more drag. Definitely not as pretty as a vs and maybe not as waterproof but they found a middle ground and for the time it came out it was a great reel. The other plus is easier self service. And as far as being waterproof unless it's under water I've had no problems. I got knocked off a jetty and it sat at the bottom in 5 feet of water for 10 minutes until I found it and even though a little water got in it it was still functional and just needed a cleaning afterwards. 

Which handle are you referring to? I ask because I want to upgrade the handle on my torque 5.

2 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Which handle are you referring to? I ask because I want to upgrade the handle on my torque 5.

The torque 2 handle 

I switched the “T” shaped knob to the “Power knob” which is basically the 7 knob and it is more comfortable to me.

I have one of the first 5's, sn006. I think its smoother than vs. Line lay is better. Agree with the handle problems. Its been reeled under water with no water intrusion, but I do change the seals once a year. For smaller fish I prefer my 150 due to weight but for bigger fish I like the 5 better than the vs200 and 250, again weight difference.

Edited by i07nyc

I used to have a 1st gen torque 5.  Only complaint I had was the uneven line lay out of the box.  Most of the line would collect towards the bottom of the spool.

I had it sent out for the updated main shaft & drive plate, but still had line lay issues.  No way to shim the spool when line collects towards bottom of spool.

One feature I did like on the reel was the option to go auto-to-manual bail with a flip of a switch.

I feel like the Torque is the one spinner Penn makes that doesn't get continually flamed for the horrendous quality control their Chinese made reels always get. Where is anyone singling out the Torque? All the super spinners occasionally fail and they all need routine maintenance, some will grumble here and there (similar to what the others get.) What am I missing?

6 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

I used to have a 1st gen torque 5.  Only complaint I had was the uneven line lay out of the box.  Most of the line would collect towards the bottom of the spool.

I had it sent out for the updated main shaft & drive plate, but still had line lay issues.  No way to shim the spool when line collects towards bottom of spool.

One feature I did like on the reel was the option to go auto-to-manual bail with a flip of a switch.

If it lays on the bottom all you have to do is shim under the rotor. There is plenty of room under the torque rotor for shims. 

1 hour ago, Big Will said:

If it lays on the bottom all you have to do is shim under the rotor. There is plenty of room under the torque rotor for shims. 

I thought would raise the rotor making the line lay more towards the bottom?

Just now, Captain Ahab said:

I thought would raise the rotor making the line lay more towards the bottom?

Nope. I can tell you this as a matter of fact since I have done it multiple times. shimming under the rotor on top of the pinion bearing will raise the rotor (in effect raising the line roller) bringing the line more toward the top. 

But heres the trick to that. With the torque you need the right size shim for this to work properly. There is a c clip on top of the pinion bearing. So the shim must fit around the pinion and also fit inside the clip. So you're going to need to test out some shims. If I can find a caliper I'll measure the one on mine. Real easy to get under there too. Take off spool, take off locating washer, take off two screws, take off plastic retainer, shaft seal, and then a wrench will slide right over the shaft and you'll be able to take the rotor off without taking the side plate off and removing the shaft like with other reels.

Edited by Big Will