jjdbike

Freezing m, dough, pizza?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I’m making some pizzas this evening. As it turns out, I’m going to have dough for one too many pies. 

I’m in need of advice for what to do w/ it as not to waste it. It going to be completely proofed & in need of using right away. Can I make it into a pizza & freeze it uncooked? Can I stretch it out (pizza size) & freeze it pre-assembled? Is it just wasted? I hate to waste food! 

JD

I’ve partially baked crusts and frozen them, enough so it’s set but not brown.   Top and bake later.   You can freeze dough as ccb mentions but not sure how it works if the dough is already fully developed.  Usually want to freeze it before it’s final proofing. 

1 hour ago, JimW said:

I’ve partially baked crusts and frozen them, enough so it’s set but not brown.   Top and bake later.   You can freeze dough as ccb mentions but not sure how it works if the dough is already fully developed.  Usually want to freeze it before it’s final proofing. 

Yes, that’s what I was thinking.

Thanks!

JD

Just make an extra pizza, and put that in the fridge. It will last a couple of days, at least, in the icebox, and it will get eaten long before that.

2 hours ago, Belmo said:

Just make an extra pizza, and put that in the fridge. It will last a couple of days, at least, in the icebox, and it will get eaten long before that.

^^^   I do this.  

I think the only time I’ve frozen pizza dough is par cooked shells so I could make 10 pies in about an hour. 

13 mins ago, JimW said:

^^^   I do this.  

I think the only time I’ve frozen pizza dough is par cooked shells so I could make 10 pies in about an hour. 

When I make pizza, it's usually on a Friday night, and I make way more than we can eat that night, because eating it the next day, and the day after, is so great. Leftover homemade pizza rules.

You can make the dough, do the first bulk fermentation, shape the basic pizzas, then immediately into the freezer.   When you're ready to use it, you can go right from the freezer into a proofing step, do the final shaping and make the pie with good results.  Not as good as fresh, but it gets the job done if you've made too big of a batch of dough.

9 hours ago, JimW said:

I know my wife buys in in Publix, frozen and gets it at home in Market Basket all the time.  

I allways get partial baked pies from my local pizza joint.

They cook them about halfway,throw a handful of extra cheese when they pull it out of the oven.

I finish them when I get home or put them in the freezer..

Been getting them from the same place since 1974 when I worked there.