Rob greenpond

Lamiglass GSB 120-1L or GSB 120-1M ? Opinions

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I build a majority of 120L. Cut and stock length. The blank casts what u want.  In stock form it handles 1/2oz bucktails to SS DARTERS great. Around 3 oz u notice the tip starting to bottom out. With this a power lob cast remedies this condition. I remember 1 yr on Block eeling. Had only snakes left and no choice but to use. Layed the rod back and let it go. Worked ok. 

I recently did a modified (as I call it ) rapid choke /ngc set up in 10' length.  Double foot KW30 w/ remaining guides single foot. Total weight 10.8oz. With a vr150 < 27oz. Casts great and thats with Fireline 20lb. A rod which will serve a majority of needs. I own an M also. My boulder field , big water rod. Go with the 1201L.

3 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Dublin, not too bad but this season I started using  VS 150s with 30 pound test braid ( Daiwa or Spiderwire) on the rod(s) and liked the outfit much better. The smaller reel makes the rig a lot lighter but it still can handle better fish and heavier lures. Casting distances are much better too with the 30 lb. braid. especially with lighter stuff. Btw, just for your info, I prefer the custom GSB 120 IL cut 10 to 12" from the butt (Montauk Live Eel Special) to the new production Lamiglas Skinner rod. The "Skinner" rod has a little different action. It's okay but I prefer a custom built 120 1L set up with a new concept guide setup.

Thanks for the info! I've thought about using 30lb spiderwire or suffix on my vsx200 for better casting distance on a 9' rod, just worried about break offs in rocky areas. Time to save for another VS I suppose.

1 min ago, dublin401 said:

Thanks for the info! I've thought about using 30lb spiderwire or suffix on my vsx200 for better casting distance on a 9' rod, just worried about break offs in rocky areas. Time to save for another VS I suppose.

You can certainly use a 200 with 30 lb. It will just be a bit heavier. 

On 3/15/2019 at 7:59 AM, Rob greenpond said:

Hello all,

I'm going to the RI saltwater sportsman show next weekend and planning to purchase either a Lamiglass GSB 120-1L (1-3 oz) or bump up one size to the GSB 120-1M (2-5 oz) and wondering which to pick--keep going back and forth, as I've never actually held one in hand.  Wondering if anyone can provide any "first hand experience" from actual use with either of these two rods.

Might even consider a GSB 9' one piece in the either power L or M.

I'm planning to use the rod fishing beaches, jetties, flats...etc. around Falmouth, Massachusetts. I might even venture to other spots around the cape, such as Dennis, Barnstable, Sandwich...etc..  I mostly like "light weight outfits" that are more fun to cast as opposed to being a chore to lug around.  Also. most of the lures that I throw tend to be from 1.25 oz SP minnows to needlefish (1.5--1.75 oz); and poppers, swimmers (2--2.5 oz).  Also like to use soft plastics 7"--9" hogy or Sluggos types...etc.

Haven't even given a thought yet to a reel....but do have an "old Green Penn 710 spinning reel" that I've had since I was a kid (long time ago--haha) and may put that on just for fun (hardly used it--still like new).

Open to opinions on a super light weight reel that might be nice on this rod as well.  Thought of Van Staal, but they're a lot of money and hard to reel...and will not be swimming with it....maybe some splash or "accidental fast dunk" (but will try not to).

Many kind thanks to all who reply in advance.

Rob

So what did you end up going with?I'm looking at the same two rods right now,what one did you go with or did you get something els?

Hi everyone 

thanks for all of the input.  To close the loop here wanted to let everyone know that I ended up purchasing an ODM DNA 10’ 3/4 to 4 oz.  I held both the GSB 101L and the ODM side by side and went with the ODM because it was less tip heavy and would balance easier with a lightweight reel.  

Put a Shimano Ultegra 5500 on it and it’s super nice and casts a mile

Posted (edited) · Report post

Honestly it's tough to settle on either one alone.  If you're new to surf fishing or using rods in this class then I would suggest you go with the 10L but not just because it's a lighter blank.  The softness will give you some forgiveness on timing and the casting stroke, you can easily load the rod with less force on the cast and it's a great rod to get a feel for what a good cast feels like.  The rod is great for early season schoolies, open beach fishing and I bellieve it's also a great jetty rod as well.   If you cant turn a fish with this rod then you might want to look at the reel your using with it, it turns fish in 90% of what you'll likely be doing.  I say go with the 10L..... your step-up big rod for heavier conditions would then be the 11m.  Both rods are mandatory if your going to be fishing a surf environment.  Then you can round out your quiver with a 9L and you have the only three rods you'll ever need.  It's worth having all three, you'll be lucky if you stop there.....iv got 6.

Also, I regularly fish my 711 ( lefty version of a 710) on 10' rods and love the balance.  It's a touch small for a 10' rod but if the blank is built lite the smaller reel absolutly enhances the rod's ability to perform during a cast through crisper release and unencumbered loading during the stroke.  10L also handles a 704 perfectly, throw a 706 on there and the rod will fish super loose and handle eels that much better...weight of the reel plays a huge role in rod action as you'll come to find out.  The 10L is a great eeling rod when a bigger reel is also desired, 10L is my vote.

Edited by DeepBlue85