Rob greenpond

Lamiglass GSB 120-1L or GSB 120-1M ? Opinions

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, Rob greenpond said:

Hi Michael--funny you mentioned ODM.  I was also thinking of an ODM Nex1 10' one piece.  I'm not an expert here at all but heard great things about these rods and definitely want a sanded smooth blank.  Again not sure, but also believe you can only get blanks for these rods so they have to be custom built. 

Wonder is they'll be at the RI show?  Also risky in my mind to get this one built for me without holding the final product in hand before paying and/or getting first hand opinions (super valuable).

Rob - might I suggest you bring the reel you intend to use when purchasing the rod.  Attach it, string it up and hang the heaviest plug you intend to use on it.  It will give you a good idea and feel of what it will handle. 

DZ--That's a good idea!  As to reels right now, I have a Penn 710 (old green from the 80s) that I received as a teenager.  Thought it might be fun to get a bailess conversion kit and put that on it.  The reel is in like new condition too ...not so much as a nick in it.  The only down side is I remember someone sat on it a few years after getting it so it has a "gold" replacement handle instead of the frosted silver.  I wished I could order a new frosted silver handle somewhere but can't find one. 

I'm going to hunt for the "perfect reel" but will use the greenie for kicks to start out.  Just checked out Diawa--liked their Saltist Back Bay LT4000.  Diawa's are always sized bigger that their rating so thinking this might be like a Penn Spinfisher 5500, which would make a nice light set up.  All speculation at this point though....need to see one in person.  Sexy black color looks cool too.

R

10 hours ago, Dah seee said:

Go with the 1M if the majority of your fishing is around rocks/jetties and inlets or the 1L for the beaches, flats, and backwaters. 

I own the 1201m and it covers the majority of fishing I do which is around the rocks and jetties. 

Yup.

To the OP:  I also throw SP, poppers, metalips, tins and sluggos and the M has been good.  I asked Ted Zack  for the one "Jack off all trades rod" for surf... mainly out front.  He said the 1201M blank is what he would recommend.. I travel to fish so I chose the 1202M blank, low riders, ALPS reel seat.  Talk to Ted at the RISAA show.  Aquidneck Rod Builders. He's a really good guy.  A simple custom rod is a lot less expensive than you might think. Ted also brings used rods that guys want to sell, so another reason to check him out.

I started with a 704 Z on this.  And then changed to a Shimano Spheros SW 6000 and that has been a nice balanced lightweight setup.  Very comfortable...cast for hours and I'm not young any more.

4 hours ago, Rob greenpond said:

DZ--That's a good idea!  As to reels right now, I have a Penn 710 (old green from the 80s) that I received as a teenager.  Thought it might be fun to get a bailess conversion kit and put that on it.  The reel is in like new condition too ...not so much as a nick in it.  The only down side is I remember someone sat on it a few years after getting it so it has a "gold" replacement handle instead of the frosted silver.  I wished I could order a new frosted silver handle somewhere but can't find one. 

I'm going to hunt for the "perfect reel" but will use the greenie for kicks to start out.  Just checked out Diawa--liked their Saltist Back Bay LT4000.  Diawa's are always sized bigger that their rating so thinking this might be like a Penn Spinfisher 5500, which would make a nice light set up.  All speculation at this point though....need to see one in person.  Sexy black color looks cool too.

R

Like I said...I started with my old 704Z. At one point I tried the bailless kit but I found it to be super challenging on this reel and lost several plugs when the line got hung up on the roller prior to casting (in the dark). Not for me.

But it's the wind knots that are going to bug you with the old Penns.  Fireline is supposed to be the solution but it is a weird line.  Sort of like dental floss...it fuzzes up. I don't like it. I had fairly good luck with Sufix 832 but it still throws wind knots.

I owned and used both. The Penn 710 in my opinion is far from my first choice with any 11' rod. While they both have an overlap of useable plug casting range my preferred max on the L would be 2.5 oz or under. You can cast to 3 oz but it will be more of a lob. My preferred weight range with the M is 2 - 3.5 oz. These are my opinions but also agree that for sand I would pick the L and around rocks I would choose the M if I was predominantly casting a weight in the overlapping of useable range of both rods

I have both a factory 1201L rod and a custom 1201m rod. The L is awesome for lighter stuff like bombers, redfins, bucktails under 1.5 oz, but also launches little neck poppers etc. The M has a lot more backbone however. It will absolutely launch tins and some lighter stuff, just with less freedom. Basically the L would be my northshore rod, M for jetties, open beach, anything with heavy current and rocks.

Thanks for the great thread here!!

You guys have pretty much convinced that the 120-1L will be the best choice for my described fishing plans, e.g., beaches and flats...etc.  using SP minnows, redfins, soft plastics....up to SS poppers and Gibbs dannnys to 2.5 ozs.

However sounds like I need to rethink my plan for using my old penn 710 greenie as a fun rememberence thing.  I didn’t realize the line lay on that reel would cause wind knot problems.  I plan to use 30lb J braid and sense this would be a problem with this reel.  Someone mentioned fireline as the fix but I hated that stuff.  

Anyone have a recomendation for the “perfect” light weight performance reel that balances welll with this rod?  Thinking DIAwa BG 4000, 14 oz  and can get 300 yards of 30lb.   Any others around this size and weight?

Just looked around online and also thinking a Shimano Saragosa 6000 would be the perfect reel for the 120-1L....at least on paper. More $ though.  Will check it out at the RI show.  

The gosa 6000 weighs 16.2oz and holds 290 yards of 30lb.  

Thinking this would balance well w the 120L.   Like balance slightly tip up if possible.

im not much of a reel afficionado, but if  the Saragossa is on the pricier side, maybe look at the Spheros

still partially sealed i think, good value, my buddys was a workhorse

2 hours ago, Rob greenpond said:

Just looked around online and also thinking a Shimano Saragosa 6000 would be the perfect reel for the 120-1L....at least on paper. More $ though.  Will check it out at the RI show.  

The gosa 6000 weighs 16.2oz and holds 290 yards of 30lb.  

Thinking this would balance well w the 120L.   Like balance slightly tip up if possible.

Be careful with the saragossa. I had one, phenomenal reel donet get me wrong. However the flat non angled reel foot caused me a lot of headaches finding a factory rod with a guide layout it liked.