Rob greenpond

Lamiglass GSB 120-1L or GSB 120-1M ? Opinions

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm going to the RI saltwater sportsman show next weekend and planning to purchase either a Lamiglass GSB 120-1L (1-3 oz) or bump up one size to the GSB 120-1M (2-5 oz) and wondering which to pick--keep going back and forth, as I've never actually held one in hand.  Wondering if anyone can provide any "first hand experience" from actual use with either of these two rods.

Might even consider a GSB 9' one piece in the either power L or M.

I'm planning to use the rod fishing beaches, jetties, flats...etc. around Falmouth, Massachusetts. I might even venture to other spots around the cape, such as Dennis, Barnstable, Sandwich...etc..  I mostly like "light weight outfits" that are more fun to cast as opposed to being a chore to lug around.  Also. most of the lures that I throw tend to be from 1.25 oz SP minnows to needlefish (1.5--1.75 oz); and poppers, swimmers (2--2.5 oz).  Also like to use soft plastics 7"--9" hogy or Sluggos types...etc.

Haven't even given a thought yet to a reel....but do have an "old Green Penn 710 spinning reel" that I've had since I was a kid (long time ago--haha) and may put that on just for fun (hardly used it--still like new).

Open to opinions on a super light weight reel that might be nice on this rod as well.  Thought of Van Staal, but they're a lot of money and hard to reel...and will not be swimming with it....maybe some splash or "accidental fast dunk" (but will try not to).

Many kind thanks to all who reply in advance.

Rob

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rob, I used both and I prefer the GSB 120 1 L blank. I think it will be better for you based on what you described in your post. The 1M blank would be better if you fished the Canal a lot but overkill for all the other areas you mentioned. By the way, the 1L blanks makes a great custom 9 or 9 1/2 foot rod if you cut 12" or 4" off butt and 2" off tip respectively. I prefer either to the stock 10 foot blank. Also, if you don't want to go the custom route, check out the GSB "John Skinner" rod from Lamiglas. It's the 1L blank but cut 10" off the butt. Great rod

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Hi VanStaalSteve,

Thanks for the reply and great info.  I'm leaning towards the stock 120-1L because I looked at the Skinner 9'-2" 120-1L rod and noticed it comes with old fashioned guides (instead of nicer K-guides) and I also liked the shrink wrap grip much better than cork tape like on the skinner rod.

If they made a skinner rod with K-guides and a shrink wrap grip that might be the ticket. 

-Rob

Like Steve I use both.  I use the L a majority of the time with the exception of when I want to throw larger plugs or eels then I tend to switch to the M as the L will tend to "fold" during casts with heavier offerings like large eels.  The L is also much more efficient with smaller/lighter presentations like 5 inch redfins, etc, and a lot more enjoyable with the "smaller bass" trend we've been seeing the past few seasons.  

Go with the 1M if the majority of your fishing is around rocks/jetties and inlets or the 1L for the beaches, flats, and backwaters. 

I own the 1201m and it covers the majority of fishing I do which is around the rocks and jetties. 

i like the 120M,, but for smaller lures, i like the new Black Hole Suzuki rod, 9'6" 3/4-3, or 10' 1/2-2, these rods were made for lighter lures, schoolie bass, Albies, but i have landed bigger fish on these rods(20lb.), NP, check them out the the R.I. Show.....they are priced very good also..

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

One more question--"critical actually"--what is the "Real World" no kidding lure weight handling capability of the 120-1L?  It's rated for 1-3oz, but most rods do not handle well at all near the top of their ratings.  Is it reasonable to say this rod can fire out lures 1oz to 2.5oz?  .....or can it really fire out up to 3oz as it's rated.

Also same question for the lower end--how does it do with 1 oz.  

BTW--I'll be spooled with 30lb J-braid 8x

Thanks.

For what you said in your post i would say 1201l. i fish both 1201l cut to 9'6 and one with 8 inches cut off the but and am making another. I like them the best for fishing plugs under 2.5 ounces. especially redfins and plastics smaller eels etc. I fish a vs 200 on both. for larger plugs, chunks and eels i like the 1201m better.

8 mins ago, Rob greenpond said:

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

One more question--"critical actually"--what is the "Real World" no kidding lure weight handling capability of the 120-1L?  It's rated for 1-3oz, but most rods do not handle well at all near the top of their ratings.  Is it reasonable to say this rod can fire out lures 1oz to 2.5oz?  .....or can it really fire out up to 3oz as it's rated.

Also same question for the lower end--how does it do with 1 oz.  

BTW--I'll be spooled with 30lb J-braid 8x

Thanks.

The L will be very efficient from 1/2 ounce - 3 ozs.   Over 3 ozs it is still usable but efficiency starts to degrade.  When I first started using the L I ended up dropping two inches off the tip so as to give the rod more power to cast heavier offerings while still maintaining an adequate backbone at the butt end - realize I'm fishing rocky/boulder filled areas where this is desired.  Not as critical if you're fishing mostly sand beach/back bay areas.

Thanks to all so far for chiming in.  So to summarize and to make sure I have it correct--The GSB 120-1L standard factory rod (leaning hard towards now) will definitely be "very efficient at throwing 1/2 to 3 ozs." 

If I have this correct--it will be perfect to through everything from SP minnows to SS poppers (2 3/8) to 6" metal lip swimmers (dannys 2.25 to 3 oz). That's a huge range for efficiently throwing lures without folding--- so hoping I summarized this correctly. Please anyone who has this rod, let me know if I got this right. 

Thanks again--these rods a not cheap so want to just get it right the first time. 

Rob

I have both and use the 120-1m as my go to eel fishing rod. I have used it with Sluggo’s but only in a pinch. The rod is just to heavy and you won’t be able to feel what it is doing. The 120-1L is much better for plugs and Sluggos. That said, the 120-1L has become a back up rod to a 10’ ODM Genesis which for me is much lighter and gives a better feel of what your plug is doing. Not pushing this rod there are many others that are light with good feel. 

If this is the rod you want Id look for a used first generation one. Strip it down and rewrap it. 2 and third generation from what I was told never came close to the original. I had two guys in a bidding war on one that I got with a VS I bought.

Hi Michael--funny you mentioned ODM.  I was also thinking of an ODM Nex1 10' one piece.  I'm not an expert here at all but heard great things about these rods and definitely want a sanded smooth blank.  Again not sure, but also believe you can only get blanks for these rods so they have to be custom built. 

Wonder is they'll be at the RI show?  Also risky in my mind to get this one built for me without holding the final product in hand before paying and/or getting first hand opinions (super valuable).

15 mins ago, Rob greenpond said:

Hi Michael--funny you mentioned ODM.  I was also thinking of an ODM Nex1 10' one piece.  I'm not an expert here at all but heard great things about these rods and definitely want a sanded smooth blank.  Again not sure, but also believe you can only get blanks for these rods so they have to be custom built. 

Wonder is they'll be at the RI show?  Also risky in my mind to get this one built for me without holding the final product in hand before paying and/or getting first hand opinions (super valuable).

I don’t see them on the vendor list for the RISSA Show.  I would expect that there would be a vendor selling them there. ODM will be at the MSBA Show on 3/30&31.