xsailor

9 FT. 8 WT. question

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

It is difficult to asses any rod by catalogue or review. It is a crap shoot in reality.

what floats  my boat may sink yours.

Some of the descriptions and reviews make me smile.

It is worth a journey to a good fly shop and trying out a few rods. 

Mike

6 hours ago, gman1253 said:

A bit late but echo 3 S are on closeout -- really nice 8wt's for the salt. 

Scott Tidals are very nice as the St. Croix's Legend Elite's - all better than the BVK, IMO.

Colton's Tradewinds XS too.

Gman - were are you seeing the Echo3 rods on sale?

To the O.P.: don't forget to look at the Orvis Recon, and the TFO Axiom 2 rods.  Someone else mentioned the Redington Predator series and I would check those out as well as the Coltons, Scotts and St. Croix.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There can't be too many bad rods these days so it all boils down to taste and budget.

As aside, I had a cast of an original 8wt GLX 4 piece I had squirrelled away the other day. I'd forgotten how good this was - super light, brilliant fittings (single leg guides), quality handle/reel seat and hook keeper. I love the matt finish too. Not fast by todays standards but lovely to throw a Wulff TT line on. I'll be taking it with me on on my next bonefishing trip. 

Edited by JRT

I could not find the weights of new Orvis Clearwater series of rods but previous were great because they were very light weight and I hope they have not changed them too much. I have many TFO and Orvis rods and out of "brand rods" the Clearwater is best spent money by quite big margin. Most TFO rods I have bought heavily discounted and I think they are not worth their cost because they are heavy. Also Echo and Colton rods I have or have seen are heavy.

Esa

Esa

Could it be that some rods are light but on the limit structurally.  

light rods that maintain same or better strength than heavier rods are ahead in the technical stakes. I wonder if a degree of specmanship goes on with some brands.

lightness I don’t think is the only important differentiator when comparing quality.

mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

There has to be a correlation of lightness and durability in my opinion. Having one without the other isn't practical let alone ideal, you can have the lightest rod but if its as fragile or brittle as a pretzel what good is it ? and vice versa, you can have a beast of a fighting stick but can only tolerate casting cast it so much because it weighs a ton. 

Edited by sidelock

30 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Esa

Could it be that some rods are light but on the limit structurally.  

light rods that maintain same or better strength than heavier rods are ahead in the technical stakes. I wonder if a degree of specmanship goes on with some brands.

lightness I don’t think is the only important differentiator when comparing quality.

mike

Some are and some are not but strength relation to weight is not direct!

I just think that if we buy poor gear they evolve slower! I've read stupid recommendations to go gym :) but there are also peaople who understand better!

Esa

3 hours ago, Killiefish said:

Gman - were are you seeing the Echo3 rods on sale?

To the O.P.: don't forget to look at the Orvis Recon, and the TFO Axiom 2 rods.  Someone else mentioned the Redington Predator series and I would check those out as well as the Coltons, Scotts and St. Croix.

e auction site - bunch out there in mid 200's

Esa

Some Rods Out there as we both know are using very old hat pre preg. Good in its day but rods made with it tend to be heavy .

Dull feeling rods are not much fun.

I can’t underdtand why you buy so many TFO.

The collective cost has to be way more than one or two rods which are in a different bracket.

mike

Just now, Mike Oliver said:

Esa

Some Rods Out there as we both know are using very old hat pre preg. Good in its day but rods made with it tend to be heavy .

Dull feeling rods are not much fun.

I can’t underdtand why you buy so many TFO.

The collective cost has to be way more than one or two rods which are in a different bracket.

mike

Mike-- it's the $$ .... though now the TFOs have moved up in price so we will see how that plays out.  Just wish they had kept the TICR around.

I had an older (5 years) 5wt Clearwater -- not that impressed by it, but as has been said, it's an individual thing.

Light does not mean strong, and old does not always mean heavy.  There are  some great older  rods that are quite light, and also some newer rods that are heavy.  Some new rods are light but overly prone to breakage.   Some of my most used and treasured rods are older rods that I believe walked the line between lightness and strength.  When I compare them to newer, supposedly "better" or latest technology rods, I find that the difference is often marginal and the increase in joy ephemeral.  One can become very unhappy while chasing perfection.

Kille

Yes me to. It is what I call my middling rods that have given me most satisfaction across all the important  parameters.

I have three stand out SH rods in this category but the one that always amazes me is my old Zaxis 9’ 6” 7 wt. I fish it a great deal.

New rod recently acquired and falls into low middle  price point is the Daiwa Lexa Still Water 9’ 6” 7wt. which  is rapidly gaining favour. 

Mike