xsailor

9 FT. 8 WT. question

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2019 at 8:50 PM, xsailor said:

BFD I have never been lucky enough to get a Snook that big on the Beach or any where else for that matter. I used to only do a couple of guided trips on Estero bay or up in the Sanibel area when I was on Estero Island but last year I decided to try the beach fishing and it worked out well, had some good mornings on FMB caught  quite a few trout, and jacks but only a couple of snook hopefully this year will be even better.

I don’t know where you fished in FMBi, I don’t fish area very much. If I am over that way I fish Barefoot Beach all the way down to Higgens Pass. The further you walk towards Higgens the less people. The other area I will fish is Lovers Key State Park. Like anyplace onthe salt it always good to check the wind direction to find places to put the wind at you back.

from what you’re saying with regards to what you’re catching would be typical for these two areas as welL Snook tend to travel in pods and will usually pod up in the same size range. Big Snook will pod up sometimes but more often than not will be found as singles.

I just did not know if you knew of thes areas so I thought I would throw them out there.

Thanks for sharing BFD I stay at the Estero Beach and Tennis Club Condos, beach access is difficult in that area if you are not staying in one of the buildings on the south end . Some mornings I can look down from the deck and see the Snook off the beach but they are mostly smaller, generally speaking you will see one or two large ones surrounded by a lot of smaller fish generally in the 18 to 22 in. size. It is hard to get a shot at the larger ones because if the snook are in a feeding mood one of the smaller ones grab the fly before you can drag it past the big fish.

I have had good luck on the grass flat above New Pass bridge fishing for Red fish on the rising tide. 

I have not tried lovers Key although it is only about a mile from me but if the snook are on the beach next month I will try it. i was wondering about access to lover key park early in the Am. or do you park at the Carlos Pass bridge and walk along he beach towards Lovers key

Have you ever tried Bunche Beach I have been told it can be good when the wind is south west .

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/15/2019 at 11:35 AM, Mike Oliver said:

Killie

Out of interest what do you consider as short.

I make my SH handles 7.5 inches long nominal which is probably 1/2 inch longer than a lot of handles.

FB 1.5 inches.

oly

Oly,

I can't give you an exact measurement because the TFO BVK 8wt I had I sold.  All the hype about that rod made me eventually buy one to test.  Several things about the handle bothered me.  One it was shorter (total length) than any other 8wt I have owned by at least a full inch.  Two - it had a very small set of reel seat rings that were hard to tighten down sufficiently, and a tiny too short fighting butt that I felt was useless.  Three, the overall weight savings (intentional I think) in the 8wt handle to make the rod seem lighter (in spec and in comparison with other rods in magazine tests) combined with the rod's taper being very strangely designed resulted in the rod being tip heavy.  Finally I actually measured the rod and it was not a full 9' long, but almost a full inch shorter.  

I have rather large hands and the grip just  felt too short and wrong.   Hard to describe.   Here is a photo of the 8wt BVK compared to the 9wt BVK.  Even though the handle is longer in the 9wt, I would avoid the 9wt BVK as well - because the cork grip where my hand goes is the same as in the 8wt, too short for comfort by around 1 inch.  Might be fine for someone with smaller hands though.

BVK-8wt-vs-9wt.jpg

Edited by Killiefish

On March 16, 2019 at 7:36 AM, xsailor said:

Thanks for that RJ I was wondering about the St. Croix  as I have a 9 ft. 6 wt. trout rod. I have also read everything I can find on the Edge rods but haven't found a lot of information, does anyone on here own an Edge rod if so please let me know what you think.  

I own 2 Edge Rods a 4-6 weight ! If your an average caster they are user friendly . My impression they cast very siliniar to the old IMX rods but are lighter ! The woven graphite handles transmit feel better then any cork handle and the grip transmits a unique feel to the cater , in other words you can feel the Rod load thru this handle and timing is not lost ! 

My 4 weight 4- piece  rod weighs in at 3 OZ . I luv the two I own ! 

image.jpeg.84909e1bb5f8ab472a02d86443d35803.jpeg

thanks for that info Capt. Lou I just looked on the edge web site and there is an on line sale this week $385. for a 9 ft 8 wt. I own an older Loomis IMX 9 ft 7 wt. and have always liked it, must be 25 - 30  years old . 

I am reluctant to buy a rod without test casting it but for that price I am tempted.

Killie

just goes to show how valuable hype is.:howdy: Mind an aweful lot of noise over last year or two regarding BVK so hard not to be intrigued . I did pick one up once and gave it a waggle but never got the chance to fish or cast one .

Hard to determine length by counting the shives as they might be longer than std 1/2 inch. If they are 1/2 inch they are very short.

The handle is such a key component on a rod as it is our connection point.

ok this is personal but my minimum length would be 7 inches with 7.5 preffered and I have small hands.

Handles are often the deal breaker on ready made rods. I just got tired of it and decided some years ago to build my own rods from blanks.

This did cause its own restrictions as not all makers sell blanks. So this left me with Sage and CTS as my blanks of choice. Sure  relatively expensive but in reality for NE salt water I only need a 9 foot 10 wt in a SH so not as bad as someone who has a quiver of Rods.

The bullet is bitten in terms of sourcing the most dense cork shives to give a good handle. Cheap cork mostly is soft and that isolates us from the blank.

Cork varies as you know greatly.

I think if I had to go back to ready mades that my first look sees would be with Orvis and St Croix in the mid price point sector.

mike

1 hour ago, xsailor said:

thanks for that info Capt. Lou I just looked on the edge web site and there is an on line sale this week $385. for a 9 ft 8 wt. I own an older Loomis IMX 9 ft 7 wt. and have always liked it, must be 25 - 30  years old . 

I am reluctant to buy a rod without test casting it but for that price I am tempted.

Well, my understanding is that they have an 120 day trial period , that may allow you to exchange rod if your not satisfied . I'm not sure of all particulars on this policy , however check it out with factory !

It seems like a win , win to me ! 

I was back on the Edge site and added a 9 ft 8 wt to my cart but notice a 2 - 3 week delivery time and I am going to be at the beach fishing in 2 weeks so i will wait until tomorrow and give them a call hopefully I might get on quicker . If not I will buy a new rod when I get there. I have a 9 wt. winston at my friends house in Bonita and will use it until I find a new 8 wt.

I was back on the Edge site and added a 9 ft 8 wt to my cart but notice a 2 - 3 week delivery time and I am going to be at the beach fishing in 2 weeks so i will wait until tomorrow and give them a call hopefully I might get on quicker . If not I will buy a new rod when I get there. I have a 9 wt. winston at my friends house in Bonita and will use it until I find a new 8 wt.

If you order try using this code Lou102019 when you order , may expedite rod order !

I would read this before you give them your money !

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/edge-rods.62324/#post-550770

Edited by sidelock

11 hours ago, xsailor said:

Thanks for sharing BFD I stay at the Estero Beach and Tennis Club Condos, beach access is difficult in that area if you are not staying in one of the buildings on the south end . Some mornings I can look down from the deck and see the Snook off the beach but they are mostly smaller, generally speaking you will see one or two large ones surrounded by a lot of smaller fish generally in the 18 to 22 in. size. It is hard to get a shot at the larger ones because if the snook are in a feeding mood one of the smaller ones grab the fly before you can drag it past the big fish.

I have had good luck on the grass flat above New Pass bridge fishing for Red fish on the rising tide. 

I have not tried lovers Key although it is only about a mile from me but if the snook are on the beach next month I will try it. i was wondering about access to lover key park early in the Am. or do you park at the Carlos Pass bridge and walk along he beach towards Lovers key

Have you ever tried Bunche Beach I have been told it can be good when the wind is south west .

Xsailor, sounds like you got of information to sift through about what rod to select and I gave you my choice so I am going to let you make your choice without trying to muddy up the waters on you.

Based on what you telling me about what you can see from the condo sounds like a good deal and it is good to keep in mind that when you see a pod of fish in the 18 to 22 inch with one or two big fish is actually a exciting thing to see but at the same time it will be frustrating because the fish are now moving out onto the beach this time of the year and getting into the “spawn mode” and have one thing on thier mind and it is not eating. As the water continues to warm that mind set will continue. What your faced with is two choices, fish  a pod without a big fish or with a big fish. The big fish is the female and males with them around means they are not interested in eating. That does not mean they won’t, after all  we all have to eat at some point so if it is up to me I will fish the pods with the big fish and hope I get lucky. Snook will stay in the Spawn Mod through gather summer into the Fall until the water temps drop and start eating which is why the fall (oct-nov) fish so well when the fish are now more interested in eating. Snook are free spawners and that why you see them surrounded by so many males, the female will release her eggs into the currant and the males will move in to fertilize the eggs. The currant them carries the eggs away for Mother Nature to do her thing.

As far as Bunche beach is conserned, it is at the end of a two lane rod that allows parking along the roadside but as people park you end up with some very long walks to get back to the beach. The beach is a very large sandy flat and if you walk to the right you will hit the mouth of an estuary. This is a beach I don’t fish very often unless I get some hot intel. It is also beach I would wear wading boots.

thats all I have for now, it turned out longer than I intended, sorry about that

Thanks for the heads up sidelock I think I will reconsider any purchase from Edge, perhaps a local purchase in SW Florida might make more sense. There is a good fly shop on Bonita Beach Road and another on Sanibel, perhaps supporting a local business is a better idea.

BFD thanks again for your insight I am not in FMB yet but I see the Snook pods that I described each year about the 3rd week of April.

There is one particular spot where they seem to gather year after year . There is some structure a little further along the beach that is a good spot for Jacks Trout and Snook if you PM me I will describe exactly where it is and how to get access to the beach.

A bit late but echo 3 S are on closeout -- really nice 8wt's for the salt. 

Scott Tidals are very nice as the St. Croix's Legend Elite's - all better than the BVK, IMO.

Colton's Tradewinds XS too.

Edited by gman1253