xsailor

9 FT. 8 WT. question

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Heading to Florida FMB at the end of the month and will fish the beaches on Estero and Sanibel island I have a 9 wt. setup down there already but am thinking of getting an 8 wt. to use when it is not too windy .

I would appreciate input from forum members on what you feel is the best bang for the buck in an 8 wt. salt water rod . I would like to stay under $600 and have been thinking of the following rods

TFO BVK, Thomas & Thomas zone, ECO Boost salt 9 and Orvis recon but I am wide open to your suggestions and want to keep an open mind when selecting a new rod.

thanks in advance.

I would look at the Redington Predator as well.  I've heard good things about the Recon.  I have cast the BVK in an 8wt and did not like the weird grip and the rods was just OK. Having said that I have never cast any of other rods since I make my own.

No matter which one you end up with I would get a 7wt not an 8wt.  The difference between an 8 and 9 is not huge especially between two different companies.  You might end up with basically the same rod line class.

qecfly thanks for the response I have a 7 wt. Loomis IMX  but it is a 2 pc and not as travel friendly as I would like, the shop I deal with in Bonita beach will let me test drive the rods so perhaps a 7 wt might be an option . I have read lots of reviews for various rods but I feel that  hearing from guys that actually use the rods for extended periods might give me more insight . I don't want something that goes mushy at 50 or 60 ft. but don't want a broom handle either.

If you’re going to be be sight fishing in addition to blind casting off the beach the preferred weapon of choice  on Sanibel is a 9 ft 8 wt with a clear sink tip. My favorite rod is the TFO Mangrove

Thanks BFD I have a RIO 8 wt flats pro stealth tip line on an Orvis Hydros IV reel that I plan to use on the rod when I get one . I have looked at a lot of reviews that say the BVK as a great deal but I see some complaints about the reel seat . have you had any issue with the reel seat ?

Reel seat on the TFO Mangrove is different and better than on the TFO BVK.  Both rods have relatively short handles though with the 8wt BVK being too short for comfort, IMO.

Killie

Out of interest what do you consider as short.

I make my SH handles 7.5 inches long nominal which is probably 1/2 inch longer than a lot of handles.

FB 1.5 inches.

oly

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mike I own a TFO 8' that I use for Int.line for Striper fishing I also own a few Recon's the difference other than the price is the weight, the TFO is definitely heavier, and is a bit stiffer.  Its held up from lots of abuse but feels a bit less refined/responsive.  The recon's ive owned have felt like they struggled with sink tip lines weighted for them.  For sink or int. I would go TFO over the Recon , I agree with the above in that the handle is weird for lack of a better word, like it should be sanded in the middle down a bit to get a better grip on the rod.  Ive also hauled in catfish with the TFO, hasnt broken yet and its been beaten.

Edited by scooleen74

8 hours ago, xsailor said:

Thanks BFD I have a RIO 8 wt flats pro stealth tip line on an Orvis Hydros IV reel that I plan to use on the rod when I get one . I have looked at a lot of reviews that say the BVK as a great deal but I see some complaints about the reel seat . have you had any issue with the reel seat ?

I think the line and reel you have

will work fine,  I have no complaints about the reel seat at all, the cork grip is a bit shorter than other rods but it doesn’t bother me. I think that’s something TFO is doing on all their rods, I see it as a cost saving measure to shorten the grip by a 1/2 inch. 

I will I’ll say this, I would not have gotten a second Mangrove to replace the first one if I was not happy with the first one. Any rod that can handle Snook up to 43 inches off the beach is all I ask, this rod does that very well,. It also has countless Stripers to its credit.

i really like the rod a lot, the rod had lots of backbone and it has a bit of a softer action which I what I want off the beach in Florida. The other thing to keep in mind is not all the fish you get on the beach in Florida will be monsters and you want to enjoy them.

TFO HAS GREAT TURN AROUND TIME  ON SERVICE AND I EVER HAVE TO REPLACE THIS MANGROVE IT WILL BE WITH A THIRD ONE.

I got interested in the Echo Base because I heard Steve Rajeff designed it to be a true match for it's line weight rating. It's only a medium fast action but I like it because is easy to cast for hours on end and if you wanted a little faster you could underline it with a heavy 7 line. (It'll also save you about $200)

Thanks everyone for your input I am considering both the Mangrove and BVK as well as the other rods I mentioned but I will defiantly try to cast the rods under fishing conditions not on grass hopefully that will be an option. 

BFD I have never been lucky enough to get a Snook that big on the Beach or any where else for that matter. I used to only do a couple of guided trips on Estero bay or up in the Sanibel area when I was on Estero Island but last year I decided to try the beach fishing and it worked out well, had some good mornings on FMB caught  quite a few trout, and jacks but only a couple of snook hopefully this year will be even better.

12 hours ago, xsailor said:

qecfly thanks for the response I have a 7 wt. Loomis IMX  but it is a 2 pc and not as travel friendly as I would like, the shop I deal with in Bonita beach will let me test drive the rods so perhaps a 7 wt might be an option . I have read lots of reviews for various rods but I feel that  hearing from guys that actually use the rods for extended periods might give me more insight . I don't want something that goes mushy at 50 or 60 ft. but don't want a broom handle either.

The Loomis Pro 4 and the St. Croix Legend Elite are both excellent 9 foot rods for Salt Water. JMHO

Thanks for that RJ I was wondering about the St. Croix  as I have a 9 ft. 6 wt. trout rod. I have also read everything I can find on the Edge rods but haven't found a lot of information, does anyone on here own an Edge rod if so please let me know what you think.