tomkaz

Are College Cheating Parents Disproportionately Liberal Dems?

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

all I hear are folks screaming about "I told you so" in terms of the rich elite and the fix....but doesn't this story actually say the opposite? I mean these uber rich and powerful fuqs had to lie cheat and steal to get their dumb ass kids into these schools. no?

But HD, in the old days, 20+ years ago, just getting in was not enough, they had to do the work, take the tests and get grades that were sufficient to graduate, almost always in 4 years. Today, not so much as almost every schools has take the view that if the student can get in, the school will do everything it can to get them to graduate. Diplomas become participation trophies rather than actually learning. 

My undergrad engineering school. Freshman orientation, 1980, I am on the stage as student government leader and I get to say to the newbies, “Look to the right of you, look to the left of you, and look at yourself, in four years one of you will not be here.” That was the school’s mantra back then and the attrition rate was more like 40% in reality. That was showing our exclusivity and the rigor of our program. 

Same school, recent student pamphlet brags about a 95%+ graduation rate (within 5 years from start). Bragging about the support, tutors, remedial programs, pass-fail options, etc. Make me puke!

From “We are so rigorous that a third of you will drop out” to “Don’t worry dear children, we will hold your hands and help you graduation.”

Edited by tomkaz

still doesn't negate the fact that these powerful people had to cheat to get their kids past, what seems to be an at least somewhat fair application process. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

2 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

still doesn't negate the fact that these powerful people had to cheat to get their kids past, what seems to be an at least somewhat fair application process. 

yes,

it's fair toward ALL who can't afford to buy their way past it.

and as I said before,

this is the nouveaux riches that has this problem,

generational wealth can play this game out in the open.

it's all about legacies and endowments.

the application process will allow dumb kids to get in,

so long as the family name is a good one.

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

Reasonable assessment.  Process should apply to every student and be transparent. Don’t know how prevalent this is.   The other side of the coin:  I’ve been opposed to sports recruiting and athletes that aren’t really students but I think I’m a slight minority there.  

3 hours ago, tomkaz said:

My undergrad engineering school. Freshman orientation, 1980, I am on the stage as student government leader and I get to say to the newbies, “Look to the right of you, look to the left of you, and look at yourself, in four years one of you will not be here.” That was the school’s mantra back then and the attrition rate was more like 40% in reality. That was showing our exclusivity and the rigor of our program. 

Got that exact same spiel.  Probably was 1980s engineering school boiler plate.

7 mins ago, Slacker said:

Got that exact same spiel.  Probably was 1980s engineering school boiler plate.

Back then college wasn't such a lucrative business.

Sure they made some money, but they didn't have the feds pumping borrowed money at the schools to keep the kids in.

Now, keep the kid in school for 5 or even 6 years, and they will owe a house note before they leave the ivy covered walls.

Go back to your school and look at all the new administrative buildings, kids still using the same labs, and classrooms, but there is three times the admin for the same number of kids.

20 mins ago, Slacker said:

She adds a bit to the campus, dumb or not.

5c8c2c7e3128e_oliviajade.jpg.6d13c1b5c61291c1747273fac84b3c48.jpg

Only the deplorables would miss the main story line

So let me help you. Sit down pay attention.

that YouTube girl was BFF with the head of the daughter of the USC Trustees who is... wait for it.. a Republican.  And on his yacht in Carib when all this came down. Yeah like any of them sweated over grades and test scores and extracurricular activities to get in.  I’m sure they had all their lecture notes to study on that yacht 

Lol

Tomkaz you out there? You getting this?

meanwhile the big guy in all this is ....Morrie Tobin. 

Deplorables, read this a few times, it’s important 

you see Morrie was a Yale student who was going to take a fall for a pump and dump stock manipulation. You know, this is the kind of oversight Righties and libertarians are against. We don’t need no stickin government 

anyways spineless Morrie was upset he was going down so he gave up his kids. That’s right. One kid was getting into Yale’s via a bribe to the tennis coach. Other kids had already graduated from Yale. 

So Morrie threw his own kids under the bus by offering the FBI details about the bribe scandal.

so his kids go down but maybe he gets a few less years in the big house.

thats who is involved in all this. ugly 

Is anyone surprised Phil Mickelson’s daughter used this guy to get into Brown? 

Of course, his daughter wasn’t involved in any scheme and they are “shocked” at the news. 

27 mins ago, JohnP said:

that YouTube girl was BFF with the head of the daughter of the USC Trustees who is... wait for it.. a Republican.  And on his yacht in Carib when all this came down. Yeah like any of them sweated over grades and test scores and extracurricular activities to get in.  I’m sure they had all their lecture notes to study on that yacht 

Lol

meanwhile the big guy in all this is ....Morrie Tobin. 

Deplorables, read this a few times, it’s important 

you see Morrie was a Yale student who was going to take a fall for a pump and dump stock manipulation. You know, this is the kind of oversight Righties and libertarians are against. We don’t need no stickin government 

anyways spineless Morrie was upset he was going down so he gave up his kids. That’s right. One kid was getting into Yale’s via a bribe to the tennis coach. Other kids had already graduated from Yale. 

So Morrie threw his own kids under the bus by offering the FBI details about the bribe scandal.

so his kids go down but maybe he gets a few less years in the big house.

thats who is involved in all this. ugly 

You must keep up, we were talking about the rat in Boston yesterday. I think I might even have started a discussion about rats ratting on rats or rat autophagy. 

And I know we were taking about the mega yacht yesterday. Didn’t know he’s a Republican but don’t see how that’s relevant to this thread given the trustee is not implicated in any wrongdoing. 

So Dear John, you cetainly have some attitude for a guy trying to run yesterday’s news and comments on our faces. You must keep up. 

Edited by tomkaz

18 mins ago, tomkaz said:

You must keep up, we were talking about the rat in Boston yesterday. I think I might even have started a discussion about rats ratting on rats or rat autophagy. 

And I know we were taking about the mega yacht yesterday. Didn’t know he’s a Republican but don’t see how that’s relevant to this thread given the trustee is not implicated in any wrongdoing. 

So Dear John, you cetainly have some attitude for a guy trying to run yesterday’s news and comments on our faces. You must keep up. 

Dont look at the smoke 

i kniw. It’s tempting 

look at where it’s coming from 

1 hour ago, JohnP said:

Lol

John, don't be so deplorable. Really? Did you actually read that somewhere or make it up. If he is a Republican, he's one who gives as much money to Democrats as he does to the GOP, more in some years. That's not a Republican, that's an opportunist looking to game the system by playing both sides. Case in point, his effort to bribe the entire LA city council to get a building built. From LA Times, Dec. 2016:

Real estate developer Rick Caruso has been a reliable benefactor at Los Angeles City Hall, giving donations big and small to the city's politicians and their pet causes.

Caruso, known for the Grove and other shopping destinations, has donated to all but one of the city's 17 elected officials. His charitable foundation provided $125,000 to a nonprofit set up by Mayor Eric Garcetti. And his companies recently gave $200,000 to the campaign for Measure M, the sales tax hike Garcetti championed in last month's election.

Add in money from his employees and his family members, and Caruso-affiliated donors have provided more than $476,000 to the city's elected officials and their initiatives over the past five years, according to contribution reports.

Now, Caruso wants Garcetti and the council to approve a 20-story residential tower on La Cienega Boulevard, on a site where new buildings are currently limited to a height of 45 feet. Opponents of the project view Caruso's donations with alarm, saying the steady stream of contributions has undermined their confidence in the city's planning process.

Morrie Tobin is a small fish.  He is just the guy that flipped on the scheme to save his ass.  Other than that he is not any more of a player than Lori and Felicity.