tomkaz

Are College Cheating Parents Disproportionately Liberal Dems?

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

I bet a friend a dollar when this story first broke that the parents caught up in this will turn out to be disproportionately liberals, Democrats, big money donors to Dems. Our threshold is 60/40% Dems. 

The Hollywood talents are a given, but the others?

I am waiting for a definitive list but details are starting to emerge. In the story below, I am waiting for Kamala Harris to come out and say she is donating this guy's prior donations to an educational charity. Feel free to post similar details for,others into this thread. 

Napa Valley Vintner Caught in Varsity Blues College Scandal Is Hefty-Political Donor

Agustin Huneeus paid $50K to ensure daughter entry into USC; gave hundreds of thousands to CA Democrats

Of the 50 arrests made in the nationwide college admissions scandal involving exam cheating and athletic recruitment schemes, is Agustin Huneeus Jr., 53, of San Francisco, CA, a Napa Valley vintner and son of Quintessa estate’s founder Agustin Huneeus.

Huneeus Jr. is one of 33 parents charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud by hiring William “Rick” Singer to falsify SAT scores and high school athletic experience.

Agustin Huneeus has hosted swanky fundraisers for the political elite. In 2016, his family hosted a Democratic mega-donor lunch and wine pairing at their Quintessa Winery for Rep. Nancy Pelosi, with Google’s executive chairman Schmidt as the luncheon speaker.

The Crime(s)

Federal prosecutors allege Agustin Huneeus participated in the tax fraud and cheating scheme in 2017 and 2018 to ensure his daughter would be admitted to University of Southern California.

William Rick Singer, 58, of Sacramento and Newport Beach, Calif., owner of the Edge College & Career Network and CEO of the Key Worldwide Foundation, was charged with racketeering, conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy, conspiracy to defraud the United States, and obstruction of justice, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Singer allegedly arranged with certain clients to disguise bribe payments as charitable contributions to theKey Worldwide Foundation, thereby enabling clients to deduct the bribes from their federal income taxes.

“Huneeus allegedly conspired to bribe Donna Heinel, senior associate athletic director at the University of Southern California, and Jovan Vavic, the water polo coach at USC, to help his daughter gain admission at the Los Angeles university as a water polo recruit, according to the indictment,” the Santa Rosa Press Democrat reported. Huneeus paid $50,000 to the dubious non-profit Key Worldwide Foundation, the operation at the center of the cheating scandal run by William Rick Singer. Prosecutors are calling the Key Worldwide Foundation a “purported charity,” given that parents took a tax deduction on the money they paid to Key Worldwide Foundation.

In the indictment, Singer instructs Huneeus to send a $200,000 check to his foundation. “…you’ll get your letter, thank you, with your write off, tax ID write off stuff, and then Jovan [Vavic, the water polo coach] will call me and say, ‘Okay, this is how I want the money split,’ and so on and so forth. And that won’t happen until around April 1st.”

Huneeus acknowledged in the call that his daughter was not qualified to be a USC water polo recruit, and expressed concern, and asks Singer, “And is there any risk that this thing blows up in my face?” Singer replies, “Hasn’t in 24 years.”

On or about September 22, 2018, Singer advised Huneeus that since his daughter had not sent a photograph of her in water polo gear in time, he used a photograph of someone else in the profile.

Big Money Political Donor

Agustin Huneeus has been a popular big money-political donor to California’s Congressional Democrats from the San Francisco Bay Area, and Napa Valley. Since 1998, Huneeus made 37 contributions to Rep. Mike Thompson (D-Napa Valley), amounting to nearly $50,000. California Globe contacted Thomnpson’s office to ask if the Congressman had plans on returning Huneeus’s contributions since he tried to corrupt a venerable California institution. UPDATE: Alex MacFarlane, Rep. Thompson’s Director of Communications responded back and said her records showed that all of the political contributions were from Agustin Huneeus, Sr. However, the records California Globe used at OpenSecrets.org do not identify if the political contributions were from Huneeus Sr. or Jr., and they all state the occupation as “Quintessa/Huneeus Vintners,” “Huneeus Winery,” “Vintner” or one or the other name.  Huneeus Jr., currently 53, was appears to be a part of the family business even back in 1998 when he was 32 – the date of the earliest political contribution. A Wine Spectator article from 2003 says Huneeus Jr. graduated UC Berkeley in 1989. the Huneeus website has taken down his bio.

Huneeus has made seven contributions to House Speaker Nancy Pelois (D-San Francisco), totaling $18,300, and $10,000 to Pelosi’s political action committee, PAC to the Future. California Globe also contacted Speaker Pelosi’s office to ask if she had plans on returning Huneeus’s contributions, but phone calls were not returned.

Agustin also made:

•  six  contributions to Sen. Kamala Harris (D-San Francisco), totaling $21,600.

• six large contributions to the Democratic Congressional Committee totaling $118,500, as well as contributions totaling $33,200  to the Democratic National Services Corporation.

• a $500 contribution to Amanda Renteria, former political director for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign, and a Democratic candidate for Governor of California, who lost the primary on June 5, 2018.

• a $1000 contribution to Michael Eggman, a Democratic candidate for California’s 10th Congressional District in the U.S. House. Eggman unsuccessfully tried to unseat Republican Rep. Jeff Denham.

• $1,000 contribution to Jessica Morse, a Democratic candidate who unsuccessfully tried to unseat Rep. Tom McClintock (R-CA), of California’s 4th Congressional District.

• contributions of $5,000 to Hillary Clinton, and $2,500 to Barack Obama.

Defendants in the Varsity Blues college scandal include CEOs, actresses, university athletic coaches, college exam administrators, and wealthy parents.

If I were someone that bribed powerful people I would probably get good traction with the Democrat party.  They dont really believe in representing the people, they clearly favor a society ruled by elites and that kind of mentality lends itself to bribery and graft.  As a matter of practicality I would bribe Democrats.

Someone will certainly cross reference the list of those arrested to the voter roles and come up with an answer. 

I know where my suspicions lie.... 

1 min ago, JohnP said:

I’d have to say yes only because I’d think most righties care so much less if their kids go do college 

OR, the righties kids are smart enough and don't need to cheat.

2 mins ago, Riverboat33 said:

Or their parents are honest, and realize there are other ways to make a decent living with out cheating to get into a college. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, JimG said:

IThey dont really believe in representing the people, they clearly favor a society ruled by elites and that kind of mentality lends itself to bribery and graft. 

Yep.  The very people who brought us the tax cuts that disproportionately favored the super rich. 

Oh wait- that was the GOP.........

Edited by mrl

Posted (edited) · Report post

Are College Cheating Parents Disproportionately Liberal Dems?

As are the Esteemed Institutions that took the Bribes:dismay: 

Edited by Harf

4 mins ago, dena said:

Or their parents are honest, and realize there are other ways to make a decent living with out cheating to get into a college. 

Or, they are just not liberal scumbags.

7 mins ago, Riverboat33 said:

Right.  Like Kushner, who needed to have daddy give a couple of million to Harvard to get him in.  Or GWB, who as a C student would never have gotten into Yale if daddy hadn't been an alum :rolleyes:  

All of this is affirmative action for rich white people.  Surprised that you guys haven't been complaining about that kind of AA until now.

1 min ago, mrl said:

Yep.  The very people who brought us the tax cuts that disproportionately favored the super rich.

And the Admininistration appointees that violated all kinds of ethical standards,

Everytime I read someone say "disproportionately favored the super rich" .. I tend to ignore everything after because it's a programmed talking point put in to their heads.  Just an FYI

3 mins ago, mrl said:

And the Admininistration appointees that violated all kinds of ethical standards,

It's ok comrade.  Eventually, you will have your way and there will be milk and honey for all, just like Venezuela.  

10 mins ago, Riverboat33 said:

Nah

the whole emphasis on the importance of education and grades etc. that’s a lefty trait 

righties care about how kids do in sports and if the sons GF has big cans 

2 mins ago, mrl said:

Right.  Like Kushner, who needed to have daddy give a couple of million to Harvard to get him in.  Or GWB, who as a C student would never have gotten into Yale if daddy hadn't been an alum :rolleyes:  

All of this is affirmative action for rich white people.  Surprised that you guys haven't been complaining about that kind of AA until now.

Can you grasp the difference between legal and illegal?