Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Stupid question here but I never really thought about it before.  I read briefly about NC putting a moratorium in place in certain areas for striped bass.  Does this type of ban only affect the ability to keep fish or does it ban catch and release as well?  The latter would seem rather unlikely because stripers aren't the only species in the ocean so they would effectively have to ban all fishing which is ridiculous.  Am I wrong?

There is no limit to the ridiculousness of our elected representatives and appointed officials. Just tell em you were fishing for bluefish and the damn striper didn't read the rules!

1 min ago, Good2Go said:

There is no limit to the ridiculousness of our elected representatives and appointed officials. Just tell em you were fishing for bluefish and the damn striper didn't read the rules!

Is there a hard definition to "moratorium" where it always bans all fishing?  I guess if there is a bite wire that pretty much sells the intent. 

If I’m not mistaken, some moratoriums like the one in NY back in the day banned “targeting” and harvesting striped bass. Correct me if I’m wrong though. 

If you're in the middle of a bass blitz and have landed a few it would be hard to claim you're not targeting them. Fish and Game have a way of watching and recording before they show themselves.

14 hours ago, teedee said:

As I read it the ban is on possession for both recreational and commercial. Not on fishing.

I read that too but my question was more in general terms.  I fear that with all that I've been reading about the striper populations this could become far more common in other places.

13 hours ago, bentstick said:

If you're in the middle of a bass blitz and have landed a few it would be hard to claim you're not targeting them. Fish and Game have a way of watching and recording before they show themselves.

yeah I'm sure they would and rightfully so if the law is written that way.  My confusion is from the fact that I can't find specifics even from source articles.  How would they expect us to abide by the rules if they're not clear.  If they say "no fishing for striped bass" and you target a blitz like you said than I think that's pretty egregious, I just don't want to have a problem just for blind casting and hooking one.  Fingers crossed it's much clearer or just doesn't happen in MA/RI where I usually fish.

13 hours ago, baldwin said:

As in any effective legislation, it should spell out what is meant in that particular law or regulation by "moratorium".

should, but I couldn't find it easily

On 3/14/2019 at 9:28 PM, secampb1 said:

Stupid question here but I never really thought about it before.  I read briefly about NC putting a moratorium in place in certain areas for striped bass.  Does this type of ban only affect the ability to keep fish or does it ban catch and release as well?  The latter would seem rather unlikely because stripers aren't the only species in the ocean so they would effectively have to ban all fishing which is ridiculous.  Am I wrong?

this is strictly an inside waters of NC issue.  it effects the Pungo, Pamilco, Neuse rivers.  The ocean bass are managed by the Feds.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, bhorsley said:

this is strictly an inside waters of NC issue.  it effects the Pungo, Pamilco, Neuse rivers.  The ocean bass are managed by the Feds.  

gothca, I'm more wondering for the big picture.  I was reading a number of articles recently saying the ocean run stripers from virginia are not doing great in numbers.  I know some states have discussed changing size and bag limits.  I don't personally care about that I just don't want it to get to the point where i can't even catch and release.  Some of the stats I was reading were not promising because they were saying significant numbers of released fish were not surviving long.  I'm sure this has more to do with baited hooks and gut hooking them but the legislators won't know the difference. Fingers crossed

Edited by secampb1

13 mins ago, secampb1 said:

gothca, I'm more wondering for the big picture.  I was reading a number of articles recently saying the ocean run stripers from virginia are not doing great in numbers.  I know some states have discussed changing size and bag limits.  I don't personally care about that I just don't want it to get to the point where i can't even catch and release.  Some of the stats I was reading were not promising because they were saying significant numbers of released fish were not surviving long.  I'm sure this has more to do with baited hooks and gut hooking them but the legislators won't know the difference. Fingers crossed

Ocean stripers are in serious trouble many people believe.  We had an unbelievable winer fishery here on the northern outer banks from 1997 until around 2006.

It is no more.  Know my friends in the Va Beach mouth of the Chesapeake Bay say their striper fishing is just a mere shadow of what it once was.  In the EEZ (outside of three miles) you can not even catch and release bass.  I do not keep up with much anymore as we do not see any.  But I talk to my buddies who are guides in NY, Mass and they are very concerned.  

We do not gut hook fish but some Fly Guys take for  ever to Land even small Bass which is not helpful.

But Cand R mortality is not the reason Stripers are in trouble. It is mans  greed yet again.

Mike