odiemike86

Kayak Color for max visibility

28 posts in this topic

I almost got run down by a party boat in a bright yellow kayak with a bright orange flag, on a calm flat afternoon on Raritan bay

In other words, it doesn't much matter, it's up to you to pay attention and stay alive out there

16 hours ago, BillZ said:

Whenever i see a boat approaching in the distance i always turn the kayak sideways to give him a bigger profile to see.....

I do the same exact thing.  If I see a boat approaching my way, I turn sideways also.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Black - it's been proven that in most light conditions black stands out more than any other color on the water. 

Edited by JRT

On 3/15/2019 at 6:08 PM, drudedon said:

Sharks are attracted to high contrast colors, not only yellow. This is just a fun fact. If I kayaked in dangerous shark infested waters, this fact might have played a role in which color I picked. I had a papaya Pro Angler 12 and now I have a Revolution 16 the same color. My concern was being visible to boaters and also looks of course. Below is a picture of my X..

I misss you gurll!!!!!!

6BDD20C2-C333-4B7F-AF36-EE674EA5ED66.jpeg

I noticed you have her rigged up for sailing what was the overall experience with the sail was it worth the setup trouble

1 hour ago, fishfinder401 said:

Out of these 2 colors what would you guys think would be the most visible?SmartSelect_20190317-113630_Chrome.jpg.87b97cb540bd99d318d301e0f261e318.jpgSmartSelect_20190317-113756_Chrome.jpg.a6d1a10ad186c14f4cac7a600db7af5c.jpg

It’s a tie!!! In the Atlantic the blue one.

In the Pacific the green one.

Wear an orange top because neither one stands out :)

9 mins ago, cheech said:

It’s a tie!!! In the Atlantic the blue one.

In the Pacific the green one.

Wear an orange top because neither one stands out :)

Well I just found out the blue isnt available at the place im getting one, so I guess green it is... i do have a bright orange pfd though snd plan on a flag

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went to see a used Papaya '18 PA12 on Friday and it was completely faded from the sun. Looked like crap. Went to a shop on Saturday to see a new one, what a difference in color. Then a yellow/green Outback caught my eye and it was like a magnet. WAY more visible. If it were me, I'd go with the yellow/green color.

Edited by Fishtale7

I just bought a new kayak today and chose a lemongrass (bright yellow/green) color. My buddy also went me and bought a camo colored kayak. We were both happy. I came close to getting a camo one too but have plans for getting another kayak later this year and my new green one will be a 2nd / 3rd for family and guests. Considering this, I prefer the bright colors for their safety, including making it easier for me to keep an eye on them should I not pay attention and get too far ahead. Think about this for yourself if the worst case situation were to unfortunately occur and if the coast guard is ever called to go look for you.

Blue colored kayaks sometimes stick out more than other colors. Depends on the background time of day whatever and everyone is different. Buy the color you want and **** everyone else.

The seagrass, papaya, and red hobie color options all seem to stand out very well. Seagrass may be the most visible out of these, at least on a sunny day. It always helps to have a bright vest as well, too.