odiemike86

Kayak Color for max visibility

28 posts in this topic

I'm going to pick up a new Outback this weekend and am trying to decide what color to choose for maximum visibility.  The sea grass color look neon green so i was leaning towards that but maybe red or papaya will be more visible?  

Reds always good,  that neon green would probably be good too.   A flag is always going to help regardless of the kayak color figure your what maybe a foot off the water at tops doesn’t take that big of a roller/wave for you to disappear from the horizon.

This doesn't make sense but...out of all the kayaks I fish around, my friend's OG blue revo by far the easiest to pick out on the horizon.

9 hours ago, Mojoboy said:

Always felt like the yellows stand out nice. Papaya would be my option. 

Agreed! This is also my color. 

Side Note: Supposedly, Great White sharks like this color also. Yikes! LOL

3 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Yellow = yum yum for great whites.  I think it makes you look like  a sea turtle ? 

You think hobie’s sea grass qualifies as yellow?  That’s my first color choice if I’m going to get an outback 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, MVDCGTO said:

You think hobie’s sea grass qualifies as yellow?  That’s my first color choice if I’m going to get an outback 

Sharks are attracted to high contrast colors, not only yellow. This is just a fun fact. If I kayaked in dangerous shark infested waters, this fact might have played a role in which color I picked. I had a papaya Pro Angler 12 and now I have a Revolution 16 the same color. My concern was being visible to boaters and also looks of course. Below is a picture of my X..

I misss you gurll!!!!!!

6BDD20C2-C333-4B7F-AF36-EE674EA5ED66.jpeg

Edited by drudedon

I would think red orange or green would be best for visibility, I usually stick to bright green colors since i heard green is the easiest color for humans to see.

Surprisingly the brighter blues rank very high in visibility. Whatever the color, a yak is low to the water. Orange paddle blades and flags are visible at much greater distances

1 hour ago, G8trwood said:

Surprisingly the brighter blues rank very high in visibility. Whatever the color, a yak is low to the water. Orange paddle blades and flags are visible at much greater distances

Makes sense, good to know. 

Whenever i see a boat approaching in the distance i always turn the kayak sideways to give him a bigger profile to see.....

I burned my brain out at a time trying to assess this. I think you will hear pros and cons for all colors. 

• Blue blends in with the water. Yet, you will read about how sea robin blue is very visible from longer distances. 
  • Red is harder to see at sunrise / sunset. ...add that some percentage of people are color blind. 
  • Orange, same as red in the sunrise / sunset. More visible than red and known as a safety color.
  • Yellow is very visible and great whites have it on the menu as yum, yum yellow. 
  • Bright green.. again, some folks are color blind but as visible as yellow. 
  • Camo and/or gray are likely the hardest to see but by design. 

If you want to be seen get a brighter color that you like. If you don't like any of the brighter ones, a bright flag on a pole, bright colored paddle, and bright life jacket will all make you more visible than something that within 10" of the surface of the water. Still worried? bring a flare gun. At night straight up, so they can see you and right at them during the day if they don't see you. 

Good luck!

And one more note on the great whites liking yellow, there have been studies done against actual shark attacks and to me the numbers were too small to build a reliable conclusion. We don't know all of the details like were most of the yellow kayaks fishing and the other colors that got hit (less) not fishing? Time of day, repeat attack areas, depth in the area, etc.

Kind of like when you go out fishing and one color is producing better than others then the next day or week later it is not and it is another color. I just don't think the yum yum yellow theory is true. 

I promise you I don't feel in safer in going into sharks waters just because my kayak is not yellow. 

Now, if you are trying to buy a used kayak off of someone, the yum yum yellow mention may get you a better deal. :)