MikeFlyGuy

Sage RPLX versus RPLXB Fly Rods

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone by any chance know what the difference is between the Sage RPLX and RPLXB  fly rods?

I know at one point they changed the fighting butt from a rubber cap to a foam cap. But wondering if

there was something different about the blank as well.

Thanks!

Identical blanks, the one without the B is factory made. The B is stated because it’s sold as a blank only and someone besides the factory built it. 

On 3/14/2019 at 9:00 PM, MikeFlyGuy said:

Does anyone by any chance know what the difference is between the Sage RPLX and RPLXB  fly rods?

I know at one point they changed the fighting butt from a rubber cap to a foam cap. But wondering if

there was something different about the blank as well.

Thanks!

Perhaps you were thinking about the RPLX vs the RPLXi - former is 2 piece. latter is 3 piece.  Former has slower recovery than latter, but was also better for classic Fly Fishing techniques such as mending into a drift.  Latter (which I have) in 10wt is an excellent shooting head rod for throwing things like wet Grocery Flies. 

RPLX rods had superior butt power over the later RPLXi. I own them in all configurations from a 6wt to an 11wt in 2 & 3 sections. They are considered moderate action by today's standards. The blank walls are tougher than today's rods and can handle a hit from Clouser or gunwale.

FT

1 min ago, Fishin Technician said:

RPLX rods had superior butt power over the later RPLXi. I own them in all configurations from a 6wt to an 11wt in 2 & 3 sections. They are considered moderate action by today's standards. The blank walls are tougher than today's rods and can handle a hit from Clouser or gunwale.

FT

and they came in both 2 and 3 piece like you stated ! I still have four of them #7, 8,10,12. in 3 piece and three 2 piece, 7'9"  bonefish, #10 and #12. Five of them I build and two are factory. 

Reasonable to assume but I wasn't confusing with the RPLXi with the RPLX. I had a 9 weight RPLXi for a while and still have a 7 weight.  

What happened was I built a 10 weight RPLXB in 1990 or so and always loved the rod. Recently a factory built came up for sale online which I purchased. My old one was designated RPLXB with a different typeface than the factory built RPLX. I knew the butt cap on the factory built changed at least once, but I should have guessed the "B" stood for blank only and nothing else. Sometimes my brain is slow. 

On 3/17/2019 at 7:16 PM, Fishin Technician said:

FT

Im still an RPLX fan. I do like the 10 more than the 9 for lift but like the 9 a bit better fir casting. 

I like the loomis GL3 as well 

I know what you mean I have owned two Sage Rplx 10 weights both factory built, but each had a different fighting butt, I have one I just bought from a guy that was never fished new in tube with the rubber end cap, probably going to sell it being I got it for cheap and don’t really need it, it’s cool to see this rod new in tube though.