Capt Billy

Which Penn Slammer III Matches an ODM Frontier-X NXFX-1064

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

New to the world of High end fishing rods, was a long time Ugly stick guy and have narrowed down to an ODM 10' 6" NXFX-1064 rod based on whats the rest of the gang says (I looked at a lot on line, nothing close to view any others than the ST Croixs).   I have held the 10'6" St Croix Legend but >$600 seems a lot for a rod.....  I live and fish in Central FL, Bluefish during the late fall / early spring (5 - 10lbs) and whatever else bites the rest of the year.  Planning to toss pencil poppers, buck tails, and an occasional live bait / chunk bait - all from the beach.   I don't need a Van Staal and have narrowed down to the Penn Slammer II 5500 or 6500 w 30lb braid as a likely match.  Looking for any feedback on which size would match the ODM Frontier-X 10' 6" NXFX-1064.    Any suggestions? - purely via searches and reading the boards, I have evaluated "virtually" (online only) a lot a different rods / rod types and even the definitions to make sure I know what I want.  Any ideas / thoughts / suggestion are very welcome.   Thanks a bunch

Tight lines,  Capt Billy

I'm into smaller gear so I'd recommend the 4500 (I use a 15 oz reel on a 10ft rod). The 4500 will also hold 200 yards of 30 which is more than you will ever need. The next size up is 22 oz which is a tank and unnecessary unless you are targeting big fish consistently or just like heavy gear.

Thanks for the feedback - since I fish in Central Fl, I'm always worried about hooking into a large fish (Tarpon / Drum / Snook) and several hundred yards of line makes me feel like I have a chance!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I commonly fish a 10’6” as well. Seriously consider the 4500. Maybe drop down to 20 pound test if abrasion is not the issue in your planning on 30 pound. I’ll double down on this if most of your fish will be 15 pounds or less.

Consider the 5500 if you have bigger fish in your future and/ or you think you may need to bump up to 30/ 40 pound test.

Or get both!

While 200 yards is fine in many cases, my preference is 300 or more. This way I can break off 20-30 yards ( maybe even twice) and still have enough to fight a bigger fish.

I wouldn’t consider the 6500 unless you are targeting much larger fish. And at this juncture you would probably start considering a heavier rod.

my 2cents....

Edited by Alferd Packer

The slammer 4500 is rated for 250 yards of 30 pound braid. I just had one machine spooled with 30 pound fins braid and it took 275 yards

12 hours ago, Capt Billy said:

Thanks for the feedback - since I fish in Central Fl, I'm always worried about hooking into a large fish (Tarpon / Drum / Snook) and several hundred yards of line makes me feel like I have a chance!

Im probably moving just south of Daytona in two months.

I fish Blackhole rods and penn slammers .

On my 10 ft 6 I have the 5500 and on my 9 ft 2 I have the 4500.

I have bass in 30 to 35 lb on both reels in heavy inlet current up here in NY. Never a problem turning a fish. I also have 15 lb blues and hundreds of Albies. The drags are smooth as hell.

I plan to use both rods in Ponce and Sebastin inlets .

The reel you want for 10 6 rod is 5500. The 4500 doesnt balance correctly .

I have a 5500 on my 10’6 rod and it pairs well. I only use that setup at the canal. It is a tank though compared to the 4500 which would also work on a 10’6.  

Guys - thanks for the great feedback.  Steve from ODM rods called me earlier today and walked me through the options.   The 5500 Slammer III seems spot on while the 4500 could work also.  I really appreciate the time you all took to get me comments and feedback, and shared experiences.   Looks like I need to finalize my future rod and reel purchase with my other half.......................  Frontier-X 1064 + Penn Slammer III 5500 w 30lb Braid.................  Wish it was a simple deal, they just don't understand the fisherman's passion................and to have the BEST tools for the job!

Take care and Tight Lines

CB

14 hours ago, youngsalt said:

The slammer 4500 is rated for 250 yards of 30 pound braid. I just had one machine spooled with 30 pound fins braid and it took 275 yards

Yep.

Mine took 255 yds of Jbraid 30 pounds.

^..^

Posted (edited) · Report post

SLAIII 4500 with 300 yards (possibly 292-5) 30#PP. Spooled tight, it took the entire 300yd spool(no backing). Note the fill line at the back of the spool. That's all you need. I have the 5500 and 6500 as well. Love the 4500 on my 9'2" Lamiglas GSB. Almost 1/2lb lighter than the 5500. 

The only other option I'd throw out there, if you must have a 5500 size Penn, look for one of the lighter models. I have 2 Torque5s which both feel lighter in the hand and on a rod than the SLA 5500. Whether the 2-3oz is worth the extra coin, you have to decide, but cheaper and lighter Penns are available as well. 

20190315_163304.jpg

Edited by RockRonin

1 hour ago, RockRonin said:

SLAIII 4500 with 300 yards (possibly 292-5) 30#PP. Spooled tight, it took the entire 300yd spool(no backing). Note the fill line at the back of the spool. That's all you need. I have the 5500 and 6500 as well. Love the 4500 on my 9'2" Lamiglas GSB. Almost 1/2lb lighter than the 5500. 

The only other option I'd throw out there, if you must have a 5500 size Penn, look for one of the lighter models. I have 2 Torque5s which both feel lighter in the hand and on a rod than the SLA 5500. Whether the 2-3oz is worth the extra coin, you have to decide, but cheaper and lighter Penns are available as well. 

20190315_163304.jpg

Even though Penn bills it as a better reel in my opinion the Slammer is better reel.

4 hours ago, reelfire said:

Even though Penn bills it as a better reel in my opinion the Slammer is better reel.

The Slammer III looks like the better reel on paper, cant wait to hold one.   With all the features, its a sweet surf reel.

12 hours ago, reelfire said:

Interesting that you say this.  Personally, owning and using both, the Torque is a much better reel.  Much more solid.  The only thing about that the Slammer is better is the knob