surf fisherman

what is best to load plugs

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, night owl said:

I've loaded many lures and do so regularly. The best material to load a lure depends on many things. Without having to write a book or get too technical, I'll give a nutshell answer.

Water is not good for loading because it evaporates. It also leaks easily due to it being so thin. If you must use a liquid, use oil. It's thicker. Olive oil is a good option as far as a liquid goes. But....... I try not to use liquid unless it's necessary. Like when I want to add weight but don't want any rattle. 

BB's are the best material to use most of the time. It never evaporates or leaks out. As far as which BB's to use, that depends too. When you need MAXIMUM weight per BB volume, use lead. I usually use #8 lead birdshot. If you need lighter weight BB's, use steel BB's (or any other light metal) or use plastic BB's. Think airsoft. Now why would you ever want to use a lighter BB? It's all about the center of gravity inside the lure.

Sometimes I want as much weight in the back of the lure as possible. Lead is best here. Other times I want the weight more forward or spread out inside the lure. A lighter BB is needed here. The center of gravity (or balance) totally changes the way the lure flies in the air, rests in the water, and swims during the retrieve.

Take distance for example. In order for your lure to achieve perfect flight, the FOC (front of center) of the lure must be perfect. If not, the unloaded part of the lure (near your clip) will fishtail and porpoise during the whole flight killing your distance. It will fly like an incorrectly balanced arrow. So getting your internal balance just right will make your lure cast like a bullet every time. That extra distance due to correct loading will separate you from the boys when the fish are waaaaay out there. I could go on and on about loading. Good luck out there. :th:

Great write up thanks, never thought of using plastic bbs. 

If loading cordells with plastic would I load the same weight I normally do with metal bbs? 

On 3/14/2019 at 5:57 PM, newportrockhopper said:

something i have not tried but i think would be worth a shot is the stick on weights the freshwater guys use on swimbaits. you will probably have to mess around with placement but seems like a good alternative plus its easy to add and remove weight to get the right action

I use Storm adhesive strips to add a little casting weight on some stick baits. It's hard to do much more with the stick on strips.

40 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

If loading cordells with plastic would I load the same weight I normally do with metal bbs? 

Which Cordell lure do you mean? The pencil popper? If so, in 1 oz or 2oz? Cuz the answer is totally different do to their internal construction. 

1 hour ago, night owl said:

Which Cordell lure do you mean? The pencil popper? If so, in 1 oz or 2oz? Cuz the answer is totally different do to their internal construction. 

Yes the smaller of the 2 Cordell pp's

I do 2  3/8 and get good results with bb's

VanStaalSteve, 

Thank you for the reply and info. 

Do you have any idea how to make red mineral oil for the Sebile refill to be the same as it was before, see the picture.

Thanks, 

Rick

sebile-stick-shadd-114-sinking.jpg

2 hours ago, Mahigo said:

VanStaalSteve, 

Thank you for the reply and info. 

Do you have any idea how to make red mineral oil for the Sebile refill to be the same as it was before, see the picture.

Thanks, 

Rick

sebile-stick-shadd-114-sinking.jpg

Very cool

Red food coloring?

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Very cool

Red food coloring?

Is that easy……

I never thought about it.

Thank you, I appreciate.

6 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Very cool

Red food coloring?

Food coloring is water based, oil and water don't mix ......

Maybe if you get powdered food coloring  ...

21 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Food coloring is water based, oil and water don't mix ......

Maybe if you get powdered food coloring  ...

Hmmm that's no good...

I will buy the food coloring tomorrow and try to mix it with oil.

On 5/27/2019 at 4:44 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

If you load that particular size Cordell with plastic BB's, it would be less tail heavy. The weight balance would be more forward. It would swim (and sink) more horizontal. It would give the lure some spook swimming abilities. It would also sink slower which is good in skinny water. But it would be harder to thrash the lure if you like using it like a pencil popper. 

As far as airsoft BBs go, they are mostly 6mm in diameter and come in many different weights. A BB can weight .2 grams, .3 grams, .4 grams, etc. You can buy the weight you need. :)

23 mins ago, night owl said:

If you load that particular size Cordell with plastic BB's, it would be less tail heavy. The weight balance would be more forward. It would swim (and sink) more horizontal. It would give the lure some spook swimming abilities. It would also sink slower which is good in skinny water. But it would be harder to thrash the lure if you like using it like a pencil popper. 

As far as airsoft BBs go, they are mostly 6mm in diameter and come in many different weights. A BB can weight .2 grams, .3 grams, .4 grams, etc. You can buy the weight you need. :)

Ok thanks,maybe i will stick to metal bb's then

Posted (edited) · Report post

I drill a tiny hole by the head offset slightly from center, use mineral oil with a medicine dose syringe, then allow oil to settle toward rear, wipe with area with a little solvent, and repair and smooth hole with s little epoxy. Trim or sand epoxy as needed. Sounds like a lot, but I get good mileage. 

Edited by D1fishr