surf fisherman

what is best to load plugs

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Looking for the best material to load plugs. I have used water, 6 cc,s in a 5" Redfin.

Don                                                                           '"

something i have not tried but i think would be worth a shot is the stick on weights the freshwater guys use on swimbaits. you will probably have to mess around with placement but seems like a good alternative plus its easy to add and remove weight to get the right action

1 hour ago, surf fisherman said:

Looking for the best material to load plugs. I have used water, 6 cc,s in a 5" Redfin.

Don                                                                           '"

I use water, but in a 5” Redfin only between 3-5 cc’s.

Mineral Oil does not evaporate, and does not affect the buoyancy of the plug as much, as it is less dense than water.  I cannot remember the cc's I use, as I gradually add oil until I hit my target weight on a scale - 1oz (w/o hardware) for 5inch Redfins, 1 1/2 oz for 7inch Redfins.  I have never loaded anything else, but have been thinking about loading Redfin Pencils.

57 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Copper BB,s

i used copper BB's for everything and it has worked well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like Mack 26 stated many substances will work but water is the easiest and works just fine in a plug like a 5 or 7" Red fin. Just be sure to seal hook hangers and nose ring with super glue. I use Zap-A--Gap. This will prevent leakage and water will remain in the plug for a long time. Let dry over night then drill a small hole in top of head area of Red fin. Don't drill hole directly on seam. Then fill with water. I have found 10 or 11 ccs works best in a 7" plug ( weight 1 1/4 oz.) while 4 ccs is good in a 5" version ( total weight 5/8 oz.). After filling to appropriate amount, soak the tip of a round tooth pick in the super glue then jam it in the hole. Cut tooth pick flush with plastic of plug with sharp scissors or cutting tool  then put drop of super glue on the top of tooth pick. Let dry.

Edited by VanStaalSteve