adams54

Best peanut bunker swimmer

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I purchased a few Rattle Trap lures and their finish got destroyed when the Blues were around. What I did was paint a couple white and a couple black .. The white one was very productive for Fluke and the black one was very productive at night for stripers... Great little lure...

Edited by sytheteacher

Rat-l-trap on left and Live Target on right. Picked up the Live Target at a show recently because I thought it looked very realistic, we’ll see.E6039BE2-34BF-4331-8D65-343772C965E5.jpeg.5c6c9cd35bc18ee89a7aaff71a19fa48.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mojoe said:

Rat-l-trap on left and Live Target on right. Picked up the Live Target at a show recently because I thought it looked very realistic, we’ll see.E6039BE2-34BF-4331-8D65-343772C965E5.jpeg.5c6c9cd35bc18ee89a7aaff71a19fa48.jpeg

I like that color but I don't think its a

Rat-L-Trap.

8 hours ago, big popper said:

kastmaster.

I wish Kastmaster made 2 or 3 oz gold for exactly this reason. They don't so I use gold, 2oz Pt Jude Sea Scallops instead.

I can see why a suspending lure would imitate a pnut and produce. I usually don't have one on me, tho, but still do well with 4" swim shad (Storm Wildeye Bunker) and silver Kastmaster. Like was said above, I'd throw a gold Kastmaster if I could find one. I also do well at night with the Kastmaster. I tried it out of frustration (hearing a seeing feeding fish, but not catching) and now it comes out of bag sooner.

9 hours ago, adams54 said:

Interesting...not too familiar with twitch baits. What is the best way to work those? Am I varying the rate of retrieve, pausing etc? Or should the action be imparted with the rod like on a surface plug?

Basically the same thing as a jerkbait but I work it with a less aggressive jerk, a twitch. Super slow retrieve accompanied by frequent small jerks of the rod tip from side to side and intermittent pauses.... they have been deadly for me, I wish yozuri made them in larger sizes.. 

10 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I wish Kastmaster made 2 or 3 oz gold for exactly this reason. They don't so I use gold, 2oz Pt Jude Sea Scallops instead.

gold would be nice.i used to have a gold 2oz spoon but it was a knock off and never really swam that well

When the peanuts are around, I like slow swimming the smallest SS littleneck with an occasional gurgle or two. Not really popping it. The blue and white always seemed better to me. A white bucktail siwash off the rear with some added flash is a standard on my small SS's and seems to work well. When this bait is around that would be the largest lure I tend to use unless I feel larger fish are around. The mostly forgotten about creek chub striper strikes in 3/4 oz and 1/2 oz can work well in either chrome or white. These are very good casters too on light tackle.

Small Kastmaster's and small Hopkins Shorty's are also good peanut imitators. The Fiord spoon by the Acme Kastmaster company is a killer in shallow water and I wouldn't rule out small Kroc's either. Tin is general is a very good lure especially when peanuts are around and somedays they want a certain tin in a certain size with a certain tail hook config. When you find that magic combo sometimes you can put on a catching clinic. I think tin gets largely overlooked very often.

I always did well with small bucktails fished under the schools of bait with a small grub as a trailer. Just the grub on a lead head can be the flavor of the day at times. All jigs are small. 3/8 to maybe 3/4 tops. when the peanuts are around I like to fish light and small.