Joe D.

Life vest recommendation

7 posts in this topic

Looking for recommendation on a decent life vest that will not break the bank and not feel bulky. Something I can wear in Spring and Summer. I mainly paddle/fish in the back bays or lakes and ponds. Thanks in advance.  

Chinook. Comfortable, lots of storage for keys, phone, license, snickers, etc.  I'd hate to find out my inflatable was holed only when I actually need it! Lots of sharp stuff like hooks and fish spines involved in fishing.

It kind of does break the bank but the astral v-eight is my favorite so far, very light weight and has lots of ventilation. Before that I had a kokatat bahia tour which felt much bulkier.

I have two that I use. Chinook is my primary one. I really like the storage and versatility it offers and I can carry a knife on me very easily. It's designed for kayak fisherman and is pretty comfortable for me. The second one is a Onyx inflatable. I don't use the Onyx much. I kind of like knowing that it's going to work if I go for a swim, espectially in the ocean or larger bodies of water.

When it warms up I can’t wait to switch out of my standard 70+ Newton (16.5#) Stohlquist side entry. It’s comfortable enough but it feels like a London broil is strapped to my chest. The non USCG compliant 50 Newton sailing ‘buoyancy aid’ I wear all summer floats me fine, and its barely there. Below deck I keep a compliant pfd to keep it all legal.

I bought a mustang inflatable with a hydro valve so I have to go completely under to inflate, I never wore one before last year and I actually don’t mind wearing it