ccb

Rod type / low profile bait casters

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Split grip cork, but the Winndry handles you can get from mudhole are growing on me.

And I have become a huge fan of the reel seats, like on the edge casting rods. That slight offset has been much more comfortable than traditional.

Edited by mwhitt80

Posted (edited) · Report post

The winndry are tacky feeling which is nice for when your get sweaty on hot days (or as we call them "the other 48 weeks"). I'm not a big fan of the colors/patterns on the winndry grips, but I like stick they provide me. so its a trade off.

Mudhole (I think basspro also) has some Winndry wraps for grips that you might want to test on. They are different feeling, and I would test before I put them on a rod. 

Edited by mwhitt80

It's getting harder and harder to find spinner only people. I now use baitcasters 65% of the time in freshwater and I almost always carry a spinner with me.

I'm not close to world's greatest baitcaster, but I have become competent using them. 

54 mins ago, mwhitt80 said:

It's getting harder and harder to find spinner only people. I now use baitcasters 65% of the time in freshwater and I almost always carry a spinner with me.

I'm not close to world's greatest baitcaster, but I have become competent using them. 

I use spinning also most of the time . I just see these guys with the BCR all the time and I just have to try it   

It is 4 letter words learning. Some days I felt like I'm better at picking out bird's-nest than fishing.

Well most days I'm probably better at picking out bird's nest than fishing. More foder for my future book and YouTube series Can't fish for $π!+ !

I like a pistol grip for throwing topwaters.  Nothing better for walkin the dog.  You are going to get a lot of advice for long handles and long rods. I hate them. Maybe when you are standing two men at the tip of the bow like the bassers on t.v. while the rest of the boat is empty, it works.  Lots of room between your feet and the surface.  They always have their rod tips pointing toward the moon.  Then they have to high stick and jerk the rod behind them to set the hook.  Walking the bank I don't find a long stick much use either with tall weeds at my feet catching the rod tip and line.  I use a straight grip for most things anymore since fashion has put the pistol grip in prison.  6.5ft. is perfect for me, 7ft. gets left at home.  It all depends on you, your height, the environment you fish in.  Nobody's advice is really going to fit what you need in just general terms.