Joe D.

Trout line recommendation

37 posts in this topic

Just purchased a new UL reel for trout fishing (Shimano Sedona FE 1000) that I'll be using on a 5'6" micro guide rod. I'm looking for recommendations on different types of line. I typically use 6lb test and either Berkley XL or XT but wanted to see if there was anything better on the market. I tried using fluro before and it didn't seem to lay on the UL reel very well and ended up with wind knots. Braid would probably be out due to the crowds and usual tangles.

If you are gonna use mono, then yeah I would go with 4 pound test, but I really would suggest braid. I use 8 pound test Ardent Gliss on my ultralight and it works great. It's super thin. I would have gone lighter, but I think 8 is as light as they go. 

I'll echo the 4lb recommendation. 6lb is too stiff to throw ultralight lures. You'll notice far better sensitivity, casting distance, and handling with 4lb monofilament. 

Thanks for the replies!

I used 4lb for years. The only reason I started using 6lb, I was starting to have trouble seeing the 4lb test line running it through the hook eye. Eye sight is not what it used to be. Maybe I'll give the 4lb test another try this year.

I fished with 6 lb on an ultralight years back until a guy in a tackle shop convinced me to try 4 lb.  He was right, it does make a big difference.  Been using 4 lb trilene or stren ever since.

On 3/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, vce12342000 said:

Use 3lb Suffix nanobraid with 6lb floro leader. 

If I use 4lb mono. I go with hi-vis gold stren 

I always used 4lb trilene XL ,,but I would like to know how you join that braid to your leader.