Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandflee

Booking Vacation Online

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

7 mins ago, IsmailG said:

Pretty much all the same. I've found better deals on booking dot com past few times though.

i usually get a price and locations then call my travel agent, and he matches or beats it

The wife and kid are going to Florida next week, and I got them what looks like a good deal on a real flop little efficiency apartment in Clearwater Beach. It was cheaper than a hotel. I got it on Airbnb.

Don't you always get hosed booking a vacation as a package?

Ain't it always cheaper to book the flight, hotel, etc. separately, and on your own?

Hotwire.

It's always fun getting surprised. Last hotel I booked was Pembroke Pines area of FLA. They put me up in the hotel attached to Calder racetrack, Belmo's dream!

Place was a real dump.  :laugh:

24 mins ago, Belmo said:

Don't you always get hosed booking a vacation as a package?

Ain't it always cheaper to book the flight, hotel, etc. separately, and on your own?

depends many times the "package" is cheaper, however i have always found the best bet is get a price from online, then call your travel agent if you have one. this way you have someone with some pull on your side, hotels can give 2 fuqs for someone who books thru expedia, but value a travel agents future business

We just did a 5 night stay in Clearwater Beach thru an expedia package deal. We picked the hotel, flight times and they provided the rental car agency. Called are travel agent with the same details and expedia was $800 less. The airline was Spirit which we've never flown on and we found that they nickle and dime you to death to make up for the cheaper flight. $40 a carry-on bag, $18 to pick your non middle seat and $3.50 for a water bottle. 

That wasn't really a problem on a 2.5 hr flight but the rental car agency was overbooked. Company called Fox, every single car rental agency had less than 3 people in line except this one. We were 12th in line and waited close to 2 hours to get a car. I asked the agent why it was taking so long and he said they were waiting for cars to become available. After leaving there were 30 plus people in line and only 3 agents working. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, Firinne said:

We just did a 5 night stay in Clearwater Beach thru an expedia package deal. We picked the hotel, flight times and they provided the rental car agency. Called are travel agent with the same details and expedia was $800 less. The airline was Spirit which we've never flown on and we found that they nickle and dime you to death to make up for the cheaper flight. $40 a carry-on bag, $18 to pick your non middle seat and $3.50 for a water bottle. 

That wasn't really a problem on a 2.5 hr flight but the rental car agency was overbooked. Company called Fox, every single car rental agency had less than 3 people in line except this one. We were 12th in line and waited close to 2 hours to get a car. I asked the agent why it was taking so long and he said they were waiting for cars to become available. After leaving there were 30 plus people in line and only 3 agents working. 

I booked thru expedia last year for a florida vacation (deerfield beach) 

the place to get the rental car was 10 minutes away (rather than the airport)

(had to take an UBER) to get the rental, got to rental place enterprise in a hilton hotel, sign on door said will be back in 3 hrs

Edited by Sandflee

37 mins ago, Firinne said:

Company called Fox, every single car rental agency had less than 3 people in line except this one

They are the company my wife and kid are getting a car from next week.

Good thing I'll be here with the hounds. :D

40 mins ago, Firinne said:

Company called Fox

They were going to be a whopping $10 cheaper for the whole week when I was in Vegas last fall. Reviews were less than stellar so I went with Dollar instead. No complaints.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

My wife has gotten good at this.

A couple of points:  They track your IP.  If you search, get a price, then come back at a later time, the price WILL be significantly higher.  We've ended up at a neighbor's house more than once using their internet to book.  Or a library.

Got balls?  Wait until you are a week out for a screaming deal.  Three years ago my parents took the kids to the Lake Champlain house.  Kid free.  She wants to go away.  I really didn't want to given it was summer.  I said, ok, find a deal under $X and I'm in.  (X, I thought, was an unobtainable low number)  Get to the beach Friday afternoon, I'm out front doing some maintenance on the Mako, she sticks her head out the door "GET IN HERE".  Long story short, we quickly packed, headed north, and were on a plain to an all inclusive in St Lucia at 6AM the next morning.  I couldn't have stayed home for the price, literally.

We did a last minute trip to the Mayan Riviera once, same deal, booked 5 days out and it was cheaper to go away than stay home, airfare included.

Edited by makorider