Silver Stoat

Extended roof rack for Subaru Outback?

17 posts in this topic

Anyone try to mount after-market bars onto the new Subaru Outback? The car comes with bars integrated into the rails, but I'd like to use extra long bars for carrying a hobie and another yak.

Also, what are your preferred saddles for Hobie Outback?

Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.

Longer bars tend to stick out over the side of your vehicle. This can become a good place to bump your head when you exit the vehicle. Also you may be exceeding the weight limit of your rack system depending on how much your two kayaks weigh.  Most rack manufacturers make various saddles . Not sure you need it for an outback?

I normally transport my kayak upside down. I put some pads on my cross bars. Seems to work pretty good.

If you do put 2 kayaks on your roof make sure you tie down the kayaks by your front bumper in case your rack fails  or one of your straps comes loose.   I have used both thule and yakima saddles on my sea kayaks. 

Not sure you need them for a sit on top kayak ?  Good luck with your decision.

I have the old version of the Thule dockglide and it fits my outback fine.  The outback is pretty flat and I've traveled with it car topped without any cradles.

A benefit of the cradle would be the ability to stack a kayak ontop of your hobie.... if the other kayak is light.  2 seasons ago i car topped my outback and my gf's 36# pelican(upside down) stacked on top in those cradles.  It was on a factory 04 blazer roof rack too.  If you do this you need 2 sets of high quality straps.  Each kayak should be strapped to the mounting brackets for the bars, not the bars themselves.  The bars are more likely to fail and break off, the mounting brackets (if usable) are much sturdier.

Now that the blazer is near dead i trailer with my wrx.  The uneven weight from the kayaks being side by side creates a bit of sway but now i only lift the kayaks up to my knee!

If the other yak isn’t huge, Jbars and the Outback on cradles or flat on the xbars can work. And it doesn’t require extra length bars.

I have no issue with my Outback carrying, a 13'hobie revo, 13' Old town loon or an Old town 14' Dirago.   Only two at a time of course. I use factory bars with Yakima J racks. I only do this if fishing areas where I can't get my trailer into.

The factory rails are only rated to around 170 lbs. The only issue I have with the j-raks is that I have to move em around to fit the difference curvature of the hull sides. If you go this route defiantly tie down fore and aft and the sides of the boats.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Malone makes "universal" rail bars that work pretty well. I found the ones I ordered weren't wide enough for a canoe and 2 kayaks on edge, so I clamped a 2x3 to them. It also helps with clearances of the boat to car, raising the hatch is tough enough with a boat there, stupid pointless spoiler. The steel loop on the end is handy when you're tight for space.

rack.PNG.199446ed3f4df7b9fe42ed372f442c45.PNG

Edited by gellfex

Thanks for your responses gents.

It's a conundrum for sure. I'd be happy to mount top down, but this means flipping the boat, which is a step I'd rather avoid ( I leave Ram balls on the Hobie etc).

My other boat is a Pescador 12, which might fit J racks next to the Hobie on saddles, but the Subaru bars are pretty narrow. I'll give it a go and play around. 

Cheers - Jon

22 mins ago, Silver Stoat said:

Thanks for your responses gents.

It's a conundrum for sure. I'd be happy to mount top down, but this means flipping the boat, which is a step I'd rather avoid ( I leave Ram balls on the Hobie etc).

My other boat is a Pescador 12, which might fit J racks next to the Hobie on saddles, but the Subaru bars are pretty narrow. I'll give it a go and play around. 

Cheers - Jon

I leave crap on gunwale mounts, you can see it in the pic,  and my FF in place when I put it upside down. No Problem, you just need that clearance I mentioned.

Yakima makes an add-on that fits in the factory rail openings on the 2014 and newer outbacks ... The Landing Pad.  You can then add a Yakima rail for a wider load. 

18269d1293648107-yakima-thule-roof-cargo

I have a 2014 Outback, and I can carry 2 kayaks on top ... one smaller/light one on my Thule folding J-Bars, and my large fishing kayak (previously Angler 160 @ 78 lbs, 30 inches wide) hull UP next to the other kayak ... trick is to have the JBars as close to the end as possible and tie the big yak up 1st. It will be interesting to see if my new Compass at 34 inches will work in this manner.

Iv got a 2010 forester. My roof rack is narrower than your. Im going to try using 2x4 or metal U channel ( can't think of the name at the time) and just U bolting it ro my running bars to make them wider. Might stick out a little more but i need to for my new outback and my wife's sit in on top of the car and that's the onky option i can come up with, with out buying a trailer

On 3/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

Yakima makes an add-on that fits in the factory rail openings on the 2014 and newer outbacks ... The Landing Pad.  You can then add a Yakima rail for a wider load. 

18269d1293648107-yakima-thule-roof-cargo

I have a 2014 Outback, and I can carry 2 kayaks on top ... one smaller/light one on my Thule folding J-Bars, and my large fishing kayak (previously Angler 160 @ 78 lbs, 30 inches wide) hull UP next to the other kayak ... trick is to have the JBars as close to the end as possible and tie the big yak up 1st. It will be interesting to see if my new Compass at 34 inches will work in this manner.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting!

20 hours ago, Silver Stoat said:

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting!

And you can pop off the end caps on the cross bars and insert a piece of plumbing pipe to act as an extender when loading.  It made it much easier getting the boats on and off and the pipe is cheap. 

I bought a set of Yakima Handroll mounts and a set of Hullhound, but they'll need some tweaking to fit the hull of the Hobie. Anyone have experience with these or the Hully Rollers? Do you seat them to fit the recesses of the hull or towards the outside?

Also confirmed that, with these saddles on Subaru factory bars, the Hobie won't fit next to another yak on J racks. Back to exploring extension mounts and new/longer bars. I'm off to go pick a few bills from the money tree....

Jon

Udpate: Wow. The Yakima Landing pads are at least $200. Then I'd need Towers - another $200. Then longer bars, figure about $100. And I just bought $200 worth of saddles. In sum, to buy a new system to carry two kayaks on the Subaru Outback, a car designed for people who want to go kayaking, costs the same as...quite a nice kayak. Guess I'll be cinching down the second kayak any old way on the factory bars. Crazy.

Edited by Silver Stoat