CWitek

IMPORTANT--Striped Bass--Marine Resources Advisory Council

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, CWitek said:

Again, thanks.  And keep the comments coming.

By any chance did you ask the mods of you can post in the main, tavern, PG etc with a post directing NY anglers here?  I bet there are many NY guys, especially on the outer boards that never look at this board.

@TimS

Edited by Cpalms

I didn't, not because I thought that they'd object, but because I wanted to stick in a New York-specific forum.  I suspect that you're right that I might get some other New York anglers there, but I'd also probably get more non-New York comments, too.  That could also happen here, but hopefully to a much lesser extent.

This is only one part of the outreach that I'm doing, but I wanted to include SOL because there are a lot of good and dedicated bass fishermen here, many of whom may not belong to clubs, etc. and would be hard to reach by other means.

36 mins ago, CWitek said:

Again, thanks.  And keep the comments coming.

CWitek, I think you should re-post this topic on the Main Forum. Unless it is NYS DEC meetings only, it will get more traffic.

Just now, Nite_Bite_00 said:

CWitek, I think you should re-post this topic on the Main Forum. Unless it is NYS DEC meetings only, it will get more traffic.

My bad, just noticed Cpalms comment above.

Get rid of "maximum sustainable yeild" cause its been an utter failure for every fishery. 

Slot of 1 fish at 30"-40" possibly with a single trophy tag per angler per season.

Great suggestions from everyone.  

If the 1 @ 36 worked before maybe that would be the way to go.

Definitely more enforcement but I don't think that is something the Council has any control over.

Treat the fishery like we have with Bluefin. Set a slot size for keepers at say 28”-32” and setup a database in which each angler pays for a striped bass license and can only harvest one trophy fish per year over 40”.  Charter and party boat patrons will not be required to purchase a striped bass license but have to adhere to the 28”-32” slot size and unless a customer has purchased a striped bass license he/she cannot retain a trophy fish.  There’s no reason that six pack charter boats should do three trips a day where they retain eight 30-50 pound stripers, all of which are female and our big breeders. These are the genetics we want passed on and should not be slaughtered during their migratory paths. We all know these size fish don’t eat as well and no party of six can possibly consume all that fish. Unfortunately I’m sure a lot of it gets thrown away. Stocking sounds like a great idea but all the studies have shown it doesn’t work.  Ban all commercial striped bass fishing other than rod and hook. It absolutely sickens me to see acres of breeders floating dead between Montauk and Block. 

6A836746-7037-447A-B132-E5B215328029.jpeg

80FE38DC-A1F4-46A5-A92D-7F4895CAD754.jpeg

These pictures of the commercial waist are all over but yet they give a number guesstimated to be very low. They say it’s science so we should trust the science and what it tells us. But in history science has been wrong many many many times. When money is involved science can be what the people that control the money want it to be. They need to do something I just hope it’s enough and not to late by the time they decide. The sooner the better  

1 at 36" is a must. C&R only would be better (at least for a little time)

Tag system would be great, but deals in the honor system; which we know is a crock nowadays in today's poach-rich fishery. If guys get away with shooting multiple deer without tags (yes it happens) what makes you think they wont get away with a few fish?

Limit the season; let's be honest, the early spring is a bust more than the fall run.

Limit the party boats. 3x daily full boat limits are BS slaughterfests. Makes me sick.

What it comes down to seriously, at least for the recreational fisherman and conservationalist; we need more ECO's doing their jobs. We need DEC walking the docks that EVERYONE knows get overrun every year by people keeping loads of undersized crabs, short fluke, seabass, puffers, stripers etc. Park one truck at the exit of any major park with water access and watch how many people get snagged for multiple or undersized bass. Park one ECO in the parking lot of Kings Park Bluff and watch how many people get pinched for illegally harvested shellfish. Get them working AT NIGHT more, watch how many undersized porgies and striped bass get found. I understand they cannot be everywhere at once, but I fish and I fish A LOT. I saw probably 10 ECO's the entire season.

I could go on but the other guys already said a lot that I was thinking.

16 hours ago, jps1010 said:

I'd like to see some of the following:

• Manage the fishery for abundance and not for the most we can kill.  The more bass that are around, the better off everyone will be.  E.g. I don't visit my local tackle shops or buy nearly as much fishing tackle as I did a few years ago when there were actually fish to catch.
  • At least until things turn around, go back to 1 @ 36".  It worked once so I don't see why it wouldn't work again. 
  • Reinstate a supplemental stocking program like they did in the 80s to help expedite the turn around.  If not, I have even more years of horrible fishing to look forward to.
  • Shorter seasons to lessen the pressure on the fish.
  • Implement tags for all like they do for deer hunting to help address those that take their legal fish every time they catch one.  I don't see that being a problem now because there aren't many keepers around but if we had something similar to that in place years ago, we probably wouldn't be as bad off as we are now.
  • Charge X amount of dollars for an annual striped bass fishing license.  As much as I don't want to pay for something else, I would be all for this if that money was only used to go back into the fishery for things like hiring more enforcement officers, fund more studies for the biologists, etc.
  • Develop an online system that enables the person with the fishing license to enter their stats (number of fish caught, size, when caught, approx. geographic location, etc.) at the end of the season this way the  fishery managers have more stats to base their mgt. decisions off of.
  • Stricter penalties for poachers that would also act as a deterrent. 
  • Encourage use of and then eventually make circle hooks and barbless hooks mandatory to assist in reducing the rec mortality.

I really appreciate all of your help in trying to save this fishery of ours.  Thank you!

Well thought out, I agree with all the above.  I'm not crazy about paying more fees either, but IMO the only way we'll get real action (since we don't pay for saltwater licenses) is for there to be skin in the game.

In addition, I think pakololo's suggestions of pushing back the season and ending the pressure on the fishery during spawning are good ones, as was the suggestion that commercial fishing be done hook and line only.

Further, I'd just suggest that now should be the time for overreaction.  Even if the mortality rates and stock sizes suggest something more moderate, climate change and other changes to the ecosystem are going to have create harder to predict outcomes, now would be the time to be better safe than sorry, even if it means something restrictive and costly that will elicit anger from some recreational and commercial fishermen.

I'd be happy to write a letter or sign a petition, let us know if anything like that would help.  If there's an organization or association leading the charge, I'd be happy to donate/join as well.

As recreational fisherman I feel it's our responsibility to ensure that conservation of the striped bass is our utmost priority. I think that most recreational anglers would be willing to make short term sacrifices in what we take in order to ensure the viability of the species. 

In an ideal world I'd like to see Striped Bass granted Gamefish Status, but I know that's a long shot. So in the meantime I would like to see the following:

• No harvest/C&R only during the spring breeding period, both Recs & For Hire, No commercial harvest until July 1. 
  • Immediately increase size limit to 1 fish at 36" with some sort of seasonal take cap
  • In the future establish a slot limit that can be easily adjusted depending on the health of the stock and a particular year class. 
  • In the future move to a tag system to keep stripers, tags are non transferable and good for a single season.  5 per season per angler at $25 each with the option for a single trophy tag at $250, just as an example. Hunters pay for the privilege of harvesting, fisherman should as well.  
  • Hook & Line only for Coms. 
  • Boat limits per day in addition to individual limit per angler. Party boat and for hires doing multiple trips a day should be held to a higher standard as they have a higher impact on the stock. 
  • Circle hooks only for bait fishermen
  • Gaff ban, landing net only. 
  • No more kill tournaments

I'm happy to put my name on this in print should you need it. 

Josh in Brooklyn. 

Slot limit is necessary

Greater enforcement is necessary, more presence of enforcement officials in the field. Generate monies from a tag or special licence to pay for this

protect areas of greater importance, particularly spawning areas. We all know where these fish are throughout the season.

I don't think commercial take is the issue, back to enforcement

I hate circle hooks, but if it helps I'm in.

I'll pay, what the hell. Like anything else.....

Posted (edited) · Report post

-Include a required online course that teaches proper catch and release techniques for the marine registry.

-Charge for marine registry, fee must only go torwards  fisheries management and enforcement.

- Do not open the season before the Hudson spawn. 

- Significantly reduce rec yield. 1-36”.

- Increase restrictions on gill netting.

Edited by C.Robin