CWitek

IMPORTANT--Striped Bass--Marine Resources Advisory Council

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Folks--

The DEC is seeking guidance on future striped bass management measures.

Those of us who sit on the Marine Resources Advisory Council have been asked to reach out to our constituents, to ask what they would like to see going forward.  

Thus, I ask that you either post here or send me a private message, telling me in either general or specific terms what you would like to see happen with striped bass management in the future.  If you'd like, an brief explanation of why you'd like your preferred position to be considered would help, but it's not necessary.

I'd also welcome club positions if you'd like to send them to me.

The meeting is on March 26, so please let me know as soon as you can.

I would like to be able to walk into the meeting and say that I'm representing a good number of New York's striped bass anglers.

Thankis.

I'd like to see some of the following:

• Manage the fishery for abundance and not for the most we can kill.  The more bass that are around, the better off everyone will be.  E.g. I don't visit my local tackle shops or buy nearly as much fishing tackle as I did a few years ago when there were actually fish to catch.
  • At least until things turn around, go back to 1 @ 36".  It worked once so I don't see why it wouldn't work again. 
  • Reinstate a supplemental stocking program like they did in the 80s to help expedite the turn around.  If not, I have even more years of horrible fishing to look forward to.
  • Shorter seasons to lessen the pressure on the fish.
  • Implement tags for all like they do for deer hunting to help address those that take their legal fish every time they catch one.  I don't see that being a problem now because there aren't many keepers around but if we had something similar to that in place years ago, we probably wouldn't be as bad off as we are now.
  • Charge X amount of dollars for an annual striped bass fishing license.  As much as I don't want to pay for something else, I would be all for this if that money was only used to go back into the fishery for things like hiring more enforcement officers, fund more studies for the biologists, etc.
  • Develop an online system that enables the person with the fishing license to enter their stats (number of fish caught, size, when caught, approx. geographic location, etc.) at the end of the season this way the  fishery managers have more stats to base their mgt. decisions off of.
  • Stricter penalties for poachers that would also act as a deterrent. 
  • Encourage use of and then eventually make circle hooks and barbless hooks mandatory to assist in reducing the rec mortality.

I really appreciate all of your help in trying to save this fishery of ours.  Thank you!

Thanks to those who replied.

Please keep the responses coming, and encourage others to do the same.

Thanks Charlie here's a couple:

1- do not open the season early as proposed , in fact open the season July 1 , Hudson included, allowing a directed fishery for actively spawning bass is foolish.

2- Minimum size should be consistent across the ENTIRE STATE, no rats from the Hudson.

3- Improve data collection for the rec sector, lots of anglers have never been surveyed.

End most fish for hire operations. Stop commercial fishing for stripers. Tag system when renewing saltwater license two bass kept a season per fisherman. End of season see how many tags got used  now you can keep more accurate records without the need for all the man power to do surveying.  

1 hour ago, jps1010 said:

I'd like to see some of the following:

• Manage the fishery for abundance and not for the most we can kill.  The more bass that are around, the better off everyone will be.  E.g. I don't visit my local tackle shops or buy nearly as much fishing tackle as I did a few years ago when there were actually fish to catch.
  • At least until things turn around, go back to 1 @ 36".  It worked once so I don't see why it wouldn't work again. 
  • Reinstate a supplemental stocking program like they did in the 80s to help expedite the turn around.  If not, I have even more years of horrible fishing to look forward to.
  • Shorter seasons to lessen the pressure on the fish.
  • Implement tags for all like they do for deer hunting to help address those that take their legal fish every time they catch one.  I don't see that being a problem now because there aren't many keepers around but if we had something similar to that in place years ago, we probably wouldn't be as bad off as we are now.
  • Charge X amount of dollars for an annual striped bass fishing license.  As much as I don't want to pay for something else, I would be all for this if that money was only used to go back into the fishery for things like hiring more enforcement officers, fund more studies for the biologists, etc.
  • Develop an online system that enables the person with the fishing license to enter their stats (number of fish caught, size, when caught, approx. geographic location, etc.) at the end of the season this way the  fishery managers have more stats to base their mgt. decisions off of.
  • Stricter penalties for poachers that would also act as a deterrent. 
  • Encourage use of and then eventually make circle hooks and barbless hooks mandatory to assist in reducing the rec mortality.

I really appreciate all of your help in trying to save this fishery of ours.  Thank you!

+1

Especially 1 fish @ 36".

I would like a slot system as well.  One fish 28" - 36" let the smaller fish get a chance to breed for 2 seasons and protect the proven larger breeders on the high end.   I also liked the late start pakalolo mentioned above.

1-Moratorium or coast wide 1 @ 36”

2-Ban commercial fishing or least make it hook & line only

3-Conservation not killing

So my kids and their kids can enjoy the resource as I have.

The stock as envisioned in Am 6

with the existing SSB target

and the existing SSB threshold 

but with a management mindset  to adhere to these agreed reference points 

NY should strongly suggest Emergency Measures at ASMFC due to our inability to manage and take corrective action despite years of decline in the stock and more than ample warning signs 

Closed season when/where they spawn.

Slot limit as mentioned. Maybe 26-34/day as smaller fish taste better anyway, and are probably healthier to eat. Bigger fish are likely female and lay more eggs. 

Could issue tags as they do for tarpon in FL, 1 trophy fish >34" per year, use tag funds collected (lockbox em) for more research and law enforcement on stripers. These could be used by sportsmen/women when they catch a big girl and cannot revive her. 

Work to standardize fines across states to $100/fish applicable to both comms and recs for shorts/out-of-season/over limit. 

The balancing act is to keep sportsmen/women interested in pursuing stripers, as we are the ones with most to lose when the population collapses. That makes us the stripers' best guardians.  

Catch and release only and ban on commercial fishing for striped bass.

Charge a fee for DEC saltwater registry to raise money for more enforcement and conservation programs.   Harsh penalties for violators to discourage poaching.  Those who benefit from public resources should be willing to pay the costs of conservation.

That as a true recreational angler - I will gladly accept legislative changes that significant reduce striped bass mortality.  Whether it be 1 @ 36, shortened seasons, gamefish status, gear changes, etc.

I will happily support any and all changes that will significantly reduce striped bass mortality.

I think a slot limit makes sense. Allow the young to breed a couple seasons and save the big breeders. Perhaps 28-34”. 

Closed spawning season, duh