walleyejoe

rod length/distance

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

A fellow, talking about bass fishing tackle, made a comment.  He said that, all other things remaining equal, a 20% increase in rod length will get you a 75% increase in distance, if not 100%.  I'm finding this a little hard to swallow, any truth to that statement?

thanks, Tim

There is some truth to it to a certain point.  First requirement is the lure has to have the potential to take fly.  That rules out about 70-80% of the lure out there.   If you compare two average rod let's say from 6ft to 7ft to 8ft Majority of the length increase is in the tip area. Longer tip means greater potential to store more energy.  If you throw something like a jigging spoon, blade bait, big crank bait with weight transfer system, lipless, etc. Yes, I definitely can see a increase in distance.  There is a silly reason why we don't see a 9ft or longer bass rod, some people considered that cheating. lol

Trouble I have is getting the largest rod on the boat but being able to toss lures without hitting hard top. I have a walkaround and its not as easy at one would think.