craigen

Wahoo on the fly?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cable shock tippet ???

Large black/red fly trolled on a downrigger 30 feet below topwater teasers at 10-12 knots...

:rav:

Just kiddin'

Edited by snapper1

a client of mine has caught several --in Bermuda and Costa Rica.  You see them quite often in Baja in Sea of Cortez.  Many years ago on the long range boats fishing south of San Diego caught a good number of wahoo on fly.  Wendy Gunn caught a beast for a women's tippet record on one of those trips.   I have seen one hooked and it bite threw 100 pound shock.  The unlucky fish came back and we caught him on spinning rod with wire leader and ballyhoo--got our hooks back and dinner 

14 hours ago, bhorsley said:

a client of mine has caught several --in Bermuda and Costa Rica.  You see them quite often in Baja in Sea of Cortez.  Many years ago on the long range boats fishing south of San Diego caught a good number of wahoo on fly.  Wendy Gunn caught a beast for a women's tippet record on one of those trips.   I have seen one hooked and it bite threw 100 pound shock.  The unlucky fish came back and we caught him on spinning rod with wire leader and ballyhoo--got our hooks back and dinner 

Trolling or casting ?

Like I  said above, I think wahoo loves taking lures below and slighly behind propwash...

I once had a 4 foot king mack on for a minute or two on a 12 weight...That was brutal...

^..^

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, snapper1 said:

Trolling or casting ?

Like I  said above, I think wahoo loves taking lures below and slighly behind propwash...

I once had a 4 foot king mack on for a minute or two on a 12 weight...That was brutal...

^..^

casting---it was  back in the 90s.  we were bluefin tuna fishing in Hatteras.  Hot water had shoved in and the bluefins vanished.   We were searching trolling teasers.  The wahoo skied the teaser a few times we pulled it out of gear and made the cast.  After we got bit off we put the bait back in gear and dropped back a rigged ballyhoo.  

Kings are great fun on fly--we have caught many over the wrecks.  The best fishing for them I haver had was in Key West.  Wife had a 30+ pound fish on fly.

Edited by bhorsley