Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
craigen

ProGear reels

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone have experience using these reels here?  The older US made ones seem much better than the recently introduced versions produced overseas.

I have an older one. Id rate it the same as an Avet Sx size. It will do the job but its no Seigler that's for sure. All my conventionals will be changed to Seiglers over the next couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, craigen said:

Is it a 280 or 282 model called the Albacore Special? I really like those models.

I have to dig it out of storage. If i was you Id save up and getva seigler

20 hours ago, Grayson said:

Seiglers had a lot of problem, pro gears are a bad ass Penn upgrade, to out it simply.

What lot of problem does siegler have? 

They had to change their name twice because of lawsuits on supposed name infringement.

Simple to break down and clean.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I heard from Liz at Seigler that the SGN star drag reel release was delayed due to factory relocation and they're doing some new fly reel production along with the existing product line.

Only the prototype is out now.  Was told to watch social media for future release date.

Edited by craigen
spelling

I have an old 541. It’s a tank and easy to work on.  Beat some 100 lb class bluefin on it jigging.  They were prone to corrosion but mine has held up ok.   I didn’t know they returned to the market.   They were popular with the West Coast long range tuna boats.  

8 hours ago, craigen said:

I heard from Liz at Seigler that the SGN star drag reel release was delayed due to factory relocation and they're doing some new fly reel production along with the existing product line.

Only the prototype is out now.  Was told to watch social media for future release date.

Factory moved to virginia beach and has been up and running.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:42 PM, reelfire said:

I have an older one. Id rate it the same as an Avet Sx size. It will do the job but its no Seigler that's for sure. All my conventionals will be changed to Seiglers over the next couple of seasons.

i to, have the older USA Made, Pro-Gear, reel, great, great reel... like the Avets...

6 mins ago, lureman said:

i to, have the older USA Made, Pro-Gear, reel, great, great reel... like the Avets...

I used to think that too until i started fishing with my buddies Seiglers.