craigen

No Spectra?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have heard the same. Call ahead to ask.

The word is that it’s really difficult to untangle the inevitable snafus that arise with a bouncing boat drifting line, some  new to conventional & some fishing noobs in general. Plus, if they have to cut off a snag with plain mono, it’s cheap & eventually degrades. Braid is expensive and that stuff will be down there for ages snagging future boat fisherman. 

This may be more important. They usually use something like 8 oz to keep the drift down & the line more straight up and down. (Minimize crossing lines & snagging guys on the other side of the boat.)

With that much weight on a bottom fishing rig, when reeling it up you’re not pumping the rod to gain ground - you’re winching it in. That’s a job better suited for conventional, and the idea of bird nesting a conventional spooled with braid probably sends a party boat mate to therapy sessions. 

Usually braid is fine if you have a topshot of some sort.  

I jig with a 25yd wind-on for bass/blues.  Tuna chunk reel has a 200yd 80lb mono topshot with the remaining 600yd or so of 130lb hollowcore.  

I've never been questioned about the braid.  I'm sure if you start tangling non-stop, they might say something.  

Most boats weren't braid friendly 10 years ago, but most all allow it now, at least here in NJ. Some boats that drift often for their fish (fluke, blues), may not be braid friendly. If the boat is bottom fishing and/or anchored up, there shouldn't be a braid issue.

If you have a tangle with braid, it's pretty much a clusterf**k.  It's easier and faster for the mate to sort out a mono tangle.  Use a long top shot at least.

Years ago I used braid until my fingers and thumb got all cut up and blistered. Then I went back to monofilament. Now on my surf rods I went back to braid so I can achieve distance... Separating tangles or removing backlashes is almost impossible... 

I wouldn't fish a boat that didn't allow braid, as long as you know what your doing - and offer to dive down and cut it from the prop!

On 3/14/2019 at 2:24 PM, Graha a said:

If you rub lip balm into braid before trying to untangle it , it normally allows the knots to slip out ! No detrimental effect on the braid !

Great idea...

I also tend to use thicker braid like 80 or 100 when 50 will do, helps with handling.  This is for anchored, drifting for cod and haddock in 150 -300 feet