craigen

Cioppino

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I made and instant fish stew with some cod, shrimp and scallops.  Toss in some scallions,mushrooms, tomatoes, olive oil and your favorite pasta sauce with a cup of white wine.  Simmer then serve with some hot crusty bread and a glass of wine and you have a quick gourmet meal.

8 hours ago, craigen said:

I made and instant fish stew with some cod, shrimp and scallops.  Toss in some scallions,mushrooms, tomatoes, olive oil and your favorite pasta sauce with a cup of white wine.  Simmer then serve with some hot crusty bread and a glass of wine and you have a quick gourmet meal.

Thanks,

Sounds great!

It seems to me w/ those veggies (scallions, mushrooms, tomatoes), olive oil & white wine, all one would need would be some seasoning and the broth made by the fish to have a sauce.

When you say "...your favorite pasta sauce", do you mean white or red?

JD

On 3/14/2019 at 11:17 AM, craigen said:

I used the red, tomato/basil sauce.

Interesting,

Like I said, I figured cooking those ingredients together would create its own broth.

Do you serve it over pasta?

I’m doing this w/ sea bass only. Was going to sauté the veggies (w/ a little garlic & parsley) lightly in brown butter & wine.  & serve it over a bed of fresh greens (w/ a squeeze of lemon)  w/ a side of rice.

12 hours ago, Kml said:

Fresh tarragon goes nicely with this. 

Thanks, don’t know if I ever used tarragon. W/ I use this in place of parsley?

Do you use the tarragon w/ a red sauce with those ingredients?

i just looked up Ciopinno. I didn’t know it was a soup. I guess I overlooked you calling it stew.

i suppose I was taking this in a whole other direction.

JD

Since "cioppino" roughly translated means to "chip in", there can be any number of things in it. Fishermen would walk by the community pot and toss in whatever they happened to have caught that day.

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Since "cioppino" roughly translated means to "chip in", there can be any number of things in it. Fishermen would walk by the community pot and toss in whatever they happened to have caught that day.

Thanka Steve,

Looked it up & it looks wonderful, however, what I'm doing tonite is not that.

I''m going to season & dust sebass fillets w/ flour & lightly brown in brwon butter & remove from pan and set a side.

I'll sautee the veggies (tomatoe, green onions, shallots, parsley, mushrooms) in brown butter & white wine. 

Place fish back in pan w/ veggies and finish.

Serve fish over fresh greens w/ veggies & pan sauce on top w/ a squeeze of lemon.

Rice on side.

I'll let you know.

JD

Trickiest thing is not over cooking and of the fish or shellfish.  I try to add in order but unless you can get people to the table immediately it still happens 

Edited by JimW

36 mins ago, JimW said:

Trickiest thing is not over cooking and of the fish or shellfish.  I try to add in order but unless you can get people to the table immediately it still happens 

Yes,

Seabass cooks quickly & I find it best when just done.

I'll put a slight golden sear on the dusted fillets and remove from heat. The a little saute' w/ veggies & broth to marry flavors.

Like I said, I'll let ya know how it turns out.

JD