BabyBunker

NEW SCAM LONG

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, connman said:

Had same scam email few months back, it mentioned it also had my email password , however the password it used was my SOL password which is only used here....

same thing with me basically. i used the same password for 3 fishing sites (sol and 2 others). it was a simple one, still personal (not 'password', etc). i have since changed them. fwiw, chrome has an extension that can check to see if passwords are compromised. i installed it when i got that email and that password in question popped up (along with a few others).

also, i covered the camera on my computer when i got it so theres no way it can record any video unless i uncover it.

the other scams listed here, i had an uncle almost get scammed. his grandson was in jail in mexico and needed money. he almost feel for it but called his daughter who told him the kid was in school.

12 hours ago, connman said:

Had same scam email few months back, it mentioned it also had my email password , however the password it used was my SOL password which is only used here....

This part is, I'm sure unintentionally, untrue :)  It's entirely more likely that you used the same password on a vBulletin website over the years - many vBulletin websites (including many fishing and hunting forums) were hacked in 2015 or 2016 - the passwords weren't encrypted, they were all exposed and paired with email addresses. I know, I was registered on a couple vBulletin sites from 15 or so years ago and my login info on those sites was published :eek:  Here's how these scammers operate:

1. A hacker (unrelated to the scammer) hacks a website with hundreds of millions of people's information - these are just a few of the enormous sites that were hacked in the past 4 or 5 years - there are MANY more:

- Home Depot

- vBulletin

- River City (online software sales site)

- MySpace

- LinkedIn

- Houzz

- Exploit.ln

-dailymotion

- Adobe

2. When those sites get hacked the information is released on the 'dark web'.

3. Scammers get your email address/password 'pair' from that data - then they send you a scam email, like the one BabyBunker shared above :)

You can confirm that your information - email addresses, passwords, etc - is out there by entering your various email addresses on this site: https://haveibeenpwned.com/  I promise, SOL has never been hacked or compromised...if your password/email address is out there, they didn't get it here :)

TimS

23 mins ago, TimS said:

This part is, I'm sure unintentionally, untrue :)  It's entirely more likely that you used the same password on a vBulletin website over the years - many vBulletin websites (including many fishing and hunting forums) were hacked in 2015 or 2016 - the passwords weren't encrypted, they were all exposed and paired with email addresses. I know, I was registered on a couple vBulletin sites from 15 or so years ago and my login info on those sites was published :eek:  Here's how these scammers operate:

1. A hacker (unrelated to the scammer) hacks a website with hundreds of millions of people's information - these are just a few of the enormous sites that were hacked in the past 4 or 5 years - there are MANY more:

- Home Depot

- vBulletin

- River City (online software sales site)

- MySpace

- LinkedIn

- Houzz

- Exploit.ln

-dailymotion

- Adobe

2. When those sites get hacked the information is released on the 'dark web'.

3. Scammers get your email address/password 'pair' from that data - then they send you a scam email, like the one BabyBunker shared above :)

You can confirm that your information - email addresses, passwords, etc - is out there by entering your various email addresses on this site: https://haveibeenpwned.com/  I promise, SOL has never been hacked or compromised...if your password/email address is out there, they didn't get it here :)

TimS

so what should you do it it states you were breached?

54 mins ago, Drew C. said:

i used the same password for 3 fishing sites (sol and 2 others)

$5 says one or both are vBulletin sites :idea:

TimS

6 mins ago, Sandflee said:

so what should you do it it states you were breached?

Change your password anywhere you may have used the passwords that were breached. 

Here's another great resource from the same folks: https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

You can enter your various passwords there and it will let you know if that password was EVER found in any database associated with any breach. It's helpful if you use unique passwords...if you enter a password in the link above and it says the password has been found in the breached data - change your password wherever you used that password..and don't use that password again :)

TimS

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Change your password anywhere you may have used the passwords that were breached. 

Here's another great resource from the same folks: https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

You can enter your various passwords there and it will let you know if that password was EVER found in any database associated with any breach. It's helpful if you use unique passwords...if you enter a password in the link above and it says the password has been found in the breached data - change your password wherever you used that password..and don't use that password again :)

TimS

sounds like a clever way to collect peoples passwords :cool:

5 hours ago, TimS said:

$5 says one or both are vBulletin sites :idea:

TimS

They very well maybe. 

Ps - one is. 

Not at all upset. That’s why I had a simple and common pw - they’re fishing sites with no significant info. I didn’t use that pw for any other sites other than those 3. 

Tim 

I tried your link and it shows a Linked In breach from 2012 associated with my email , it's entirely possible I used the same SOL password there back then as I was less wary about internet security then. I have since changed my password there no doubt after getting some notification from Linked IN about their breach which I have long forgotten . Sorry for tarring you as source of my password exposure.

21 hours ago, Sandflee said:

sounds like a clever way to collect peoples passwords :cool:

By telling you which passwords have already been published on the internet? :freak:

They don't have your email address or login information for any site, of what use would your password be to them? :idea:

TimS

12 hours ago, connman said:

Tim 

I tried your link and it shows a Linked In breach from 2012 associated with my email , it's entirely possible I used the same SOL password there back then as I was less wary about internet security then. I have since changed my password there no doubt after getting some notification from Linked IN about their breach which I have long forgotten . Sorry for tarring you as source of my password exposure.

No worries...if you only had your info exposed in ONE breach, that's a home run! There were a dozen breaches where some of my info was exposed :eek:  

That password link provided above is safe and is a great way to see if your unique passwords have ever been exposed :)

TimS