craigen

Return of the black Torque star drags?

13 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

:cry:

We will never say never, but the black just wasn't moving like gold or silver.  We gave it a try with the 1st gen Torque Spinning and the 2nd gen Torque SD.  The other color out sold the black by a landslide. 

tony

We will be launching more silver models later this year in other models, but not the Torque SD.  Keep an eye on this forum as we get closer to ICAST.

tony

33 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

We will be launching more silver models later this year in other models, but not the Torque SD.  Keep an eye on this forum as we get closer to ICAST.

tony

Hopefully this means there’s a new star drag or lever drag for inshore stuff coming out! :howdy:

3 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

We will never say never, but the black just wasn't moving like gold or silver.  We gave it a try with the 1st gen Torque Spinning and the 2nd gen Torque SD.  The other color out sold the black by a landslide. 

tony

That is interesting because everywhere I look people are clammering for it.

I was going to buy a pair of black 15s, put together the dough just in time to find out they were gone.

Black with black highlights rather then gold highlights might have done better.

But, the straight gold color is just to flashy for me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, Beastly Backlash said:

That is interesting because everywhere I look people are clammering for it.

I was going to buy a pair of black 15s, put together the dough just in time to find out they were gone.

Black with black highlights rather then gold highlights might have done better.

But, the straight gold color is just to flashy for me.

When the black color was discontinued several years ago, the retail price dropped substantially. A relatively large number of black Torques sold in a very short time, with some people purchasing multiple units just based on price. Almost everybody who got one liked it a lot, and the perceived demand is mostly anglers hoping to add to their arsenal with matching pieces. There is a lot of Internet sleuthing going on for them, but they are specifically looking for them at those greatly marked-down prices.

*Craigen, since you are on the west coast, "ground zero" for BST on black Torque star drags is that O'side tackle shop on Pacific Coast Highway, just south of Vista Way. Sorry, links are not allowed here. 

Edited by Tunanorth

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/13/2019 at 4:59 PM, craigen said:

I sure wish Penn would re-issue these reels in black.  I have two of them and want to buy more but they are now a rare item.

Notable; as I mentioned, over on that west coast-oriented site, and directly underneath your most recent post [inside the New At Fred Hall thread] there are several black Torques shown for sale at that same tackle shop in Oceanside.

Edited by Tunanorth

yep, i grabbed one of those black torques when they were on sale. what a sweet reel. i don't like gold reels. too flashy for me also, but as usual i find myself in the minority