craigen

low cost digital fishing camera

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

What's the best small camera for on the water photography?  I want to document my catch on the high seas but want a small camera that won't break the bank.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's a well proven fact that bringing a camera to document your catch on the high seas will virtually always result in a skunking

Or at best a catch so pathetic that it makes you force the photographer (me) to promise to never divulge your identity 

AvoidsTheSkunk.jpg.f0102eeebbc80ddc31ec6b5cf24c5941.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

If you are just taking snapshots... typical "grip and grin" fish pics... stuff to stick on social media... then small cheap cameras are all about the same.  Anything you buy in a given price range will give you similar results.  If you need waterproof, the field narrows.  If you don't need waterproof, you might as well just use your cell phone.

If you do get a camera to take fishing, size and weight is something to consider.  I have a Canon SX 610 HS (about the size of a deck of playing cards with 18X optical zoom) that I take fishing and use for work pics.  It is fine for getting a snapshot.

Edited by Slacker

Perfect!  Thanks Slacker, that's just what I need.  I will try to find one at a reasonable price.  I have a Canon EOS 350 that's too big to carry.  Cheers...

LIke Fizzy said, what is your budget, waterproof will not be 'inexpensive'. If you are talking boat, cell phone is probably best option,  if you are surf/kayak, not so sure cell is what you want to use, unless you are not as clumsy as me. Try Olympus web site, they sometimes have reconditioned cameras on sale, usually come with some sort of limited warranty as well

Fuji XP series cams are great. $114 at B&H, waterproof, shockproof, great quality and small. Won't skunk you if you have it all the time! There's an app to download pics to your phone via wifi. My kid borrowed it so often for his climbing trips I had to get him his own.

fujifilm_16543860_finepix_xp120_digital_

5c8ab01832402_ADAMKAYAKBLUEtweaked.PNG.d7a93fbd92256fa3d3d9bbc55bc67808.PNG

5aa0b2904f621_adamatJtree.JPG.8f7654b5508054aed55f72ef7d44fb2e.JPG

Edited by gellfex

There are lots of good inexpensive waterproof/shockproof cameras available. 

How it fits your hand is a consideration.

I had a Fuji XP, dropped it overboard while kayaking.  :dismay:

now I have a Panasonic Lumix  DMC-TS20  and a floatation strap.

both took very nice pics.

Bourne     8.9.16 002.JPG