The Salty Fisherman

Thoughts on High End Pliers

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 mins ago, hobobob said:

Aside from the hook cutting aspect, the VS plier is just about perfect. Almost indestructible, light, rust proof.  Zero maintenance require. Can you name one alternative out there that can do the same thing? The price is a bit steep if you have to pay for one with cold hard cash.  

I think that's the point everyone on the "cheap" side of the argument is getting at.  My cheapo pliers have been going strong for 3 years, no rust, I rinse them off with the rest of my gear after every outing like the good boy I am.   No one looks at them in awe (or judgmentally for that matter) but they get the job done and are super reliable.  And I won't be heartbroken when I lose them eventually.  

I'll save my coin for the next Lami/VS/truck accessory I randomly decide I can't live without

Edited by Bluetaildragger

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Are those side cutters going to cut a 4x or 6x 4/0 treble at the shank? Even better - can you do that one handed with those pliers (in case you're fishing alone?). If so, I'd like to see that done...

yes and yes

Unless you're one of those guys that at best can offer a dead fish type handshake, then yes and probably not

Edited by Sudsy

24 mins ago, Sudsy said:

yes and yes

Unless you're one of those guys that at best can offer a dead fish type handshake, then yes and probably not

That's great. You can probably cut out tons of hooks in everyone's hands on the beach!

One constant on these threads is that some folks get really agitated when other folks spend a lot of money on something they wouldn't personally spend a lot of money on.  I never quite understood why.  Meanwhile we're all guilty of owning way too many rods, reels, plugs, etc. :headscratch:

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

That's great. You can probably cut out tons of hooks in everyone's hands on the beach!

I have done exactly that more than once

To some members here, Curl, Chalupa, and someone else whose name is escaping me.

You do realize all this I never got stuck talk has probably called down some evil Juju and you could easily end up finding a bluefish on the tail end of your plug and the front hook lodged in your junk (like that poor bastard in Montauk a bunch of year ago - And no, I didn't cut that one out, he refused all help and was last seen hunched over holding onto the blue with a death grip climbing the trail back up to the lot - ISYN !) 

6 hours ago, adams54 said:

Apparently no one wants to admit the obvious. They get them not because they necessarily do something better. They get them because of the name and maybe because its some sort of status symbol. OR maybe theyre somewhat ignorant about cheaper alternatives that do the same thing. :box:

Somewhat ignorant could describe your post. If you are fishing jersey beaches and can run back to your truck and get different pliers when yours jam up then sure there are alternatives. If you are swimming and wetsuting in the surf for 6 hours a night 100 nights a year there are not many pliers that will hold up. Like I said in my earlier post I have a pair of $50 hansoms that work great but the new ones suck and I have tried a plethora of pliers trying to justify exactly what you are arguing. Nothing has held up. Van staal pliers are proven and definitely the best on the market for a hardcore surfisherman. There are not many people that fish more than vanstaalsteeve and look how well his have held up. I'm not sponsored nor are majority of the people that have van staals but talk to any real hardcore wetsuiter and I will almost guarantee everyone of them have vs pliers and its not bc of the name.  You could say the same thing about reels and this and that but once you invest in quality gear you don't have to buy $50 pliers every year bc the old ones broke. 

I would love the VS pliers, but they would have to do it all for the price including cut hooks. I have had the same set of pliers for about 8 years..they remove hooks and bend things back. My braid cutters broke taking a hook out of somebody's hand years ago, I keep snips in my truck and in my travel bag on destination trips, and a set of nail clippers for braid or a razor edge knife for braid. All my other gear is top end..vs, flatlander, st croix.  Just cant get past the price of those pliers. Anybody who doesn't think high end is worth it just doesn't wade in waist deep water regularly.  Thankfully my pliers dont rust.

11 hours ago, hobobob said:

Aside from the hook cutting aspect, the VS plier is just about perfect. Almost indestructible, light, rust proof.  Zero maintenance require. Can you name one alternative out there that can do the same thing? The price is a bit steep if you have to pay for one with cold hard cash.  

Danco makes a very similar pair for less than half the cost, time will tell if they are as durable long term but they have a life time warranty.

Either way once you cut the hook out of someones body they are going to hospital.   Thats a fact.  Im amazed how that happens.  

8 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I have done exactly that more than once

To some members here, Curl, Chalupa, and someone else whose name is escaping me.

You do realize all this I never got stuck talk has probably called down some evil Juju and you could easily end up finding a bluefish on the tail end of your plug and the front hook lodged in your junk (like that poor bastard in Montauk a bunch of year ago - And no, I didn't cut that one out, he refused all help and was last seen hunched over holding onto the blue with a death grip climbing the trail back up to the lot - ISYN !) 

Bluefish, I doubt it at this point since I haven't caught more that 10 the last few years. Some flopping little rat, yeah that could easily happen.

14 hours ago, adams54 said:

Apparently no one wants to admit the obvious. They get them not because they necessarily do something better. They get them because of the name and maybe because its some sort of status symbol. OR maybe theyre somewhat ignorant about cheaper alternatives that do the same thing. :box:

Pliers are a status symbol lol? Wha??

36’ Yellowfins are a status symbol. 

70’ Vikings are a status symbol. 

Catching a 59lb bass is a status symbol

winning a tournament is a status symbol

Pliers ain’t a status symbol.

Funniest thing I have read on here in a while.

Edited by Cpalms

31 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Pliers are a status symbol lol? Wha??

36’ Yellowfins are a status symbol. 

70’ Vikings are a status symbol. 

Catching a 59lb bass is a status symbol

winning a tournament is a status symbol

Pliers ain’t a status symbol.

Funniest thing I have read on here in a while.

I 100% agree with you that theyre not. Im just trying to delve into the mind of someone that would spend $350 on pliers. The question was asked many times in this thread as to what exactly do these pliers better that other less expensive pliers cannot. The question was ignored so I posed a few hypotheses. But at least you laughed..thats all this thread is good for just about now.

Edited by adams54

11 hours ago, vinnyb said:

One constant on these threads is that some folks get really agitated when other folks spend a lot of money on something they wouldn't personally spend a lot of money on.  I never quite understood why.  Meanwhile we're all guilty of owning way too many rods, reels, plugs, etc. :headscratch:

Excellent observation. Exactly what I was thinking...

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

I 100% agree with you that theyre not. Im just trying to delve into the mind of someone that would spend $350 on pliers. The question was asked many times in this thread as to what exactly do these pliers better that other less expensive pliers cannot. The question was ignored so I posed a few hypotheses. But at least you laughed..thats all this thread is good for just about now.

Sure a few thoughts, first $2-400 is an average fuel bill for a day fishing on my boat. A routine day fishing, I'll have several thousand dollars worth of rods/ reels/ gear on the boat. Dockage, insurance, maintenance is a fortune.  When I break down my fishing costs, a $350 cost once in a (not going to say it) is peanuts. A bargain in comparison.

I've had my pair for 7-8 years. Replaced the cutters once other than that 100% reliability and zero ongoing maintenance. Probably 4-500 fishing days.  How many pliers can you say that about?, certainly none of the disposable options. I despise the Harbor Freight option.  The slow annoying deterioration of a garbage tool would drive me nuts.  I work way to hard to use garbage equipment.

The fact is you could take ALL of my fishing gear, other than my VS pliers, throw it into a pile and burn it.  The financial loss would sting but in the grand scheme of things, not the end of the world - it's all replaceable. I lose mybeloved VS pliers, as soon as I got done weeping I'm ordering a new pair without a thought to the cost. 

Ever wonder why VS pliers almost never come up on the BST forum?

Edited by Cpalms