The Salty Fisherman

Thoughts on High End Pliers

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

47 mins ago, Drew C. said:

It would be stoopid and unnecessary for me to worry about something that hasn’t happened in 25 years. 

Do you realize how short sighted and also selfish that is

What if it's another guy who's hooked - eff him ??

I've never cut a hook out of myself, but I've cut plenty that were in other people (Hey Curl, you reading this?)

Edited by Sudsy

1 min ago, Sudsy said:

Seriously? What am I supposed to do - run a beachside hook cutting service? 

I control what I can. Beyond that, certainly is not my responsibility. 

20 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Seriously? What am I supposed to do - run a beachside hook cutting service? 

Classic. LMAO

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

I've never cut a hook out of myself, but I've cut plenty that were in other people (Hey Curl, you reading this?)

It’s ridiculous to expect people to be carrying heavy bolt cutters around with them. If you get hooked then either walk back to your truck and take care of it if you have tools in the truck or go to the ER. It’s just a hook/lure stuck to you. It’s not the end of the world. 

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Me like many others often get swamp ass when surf fishing..  Do you carry ass balm for other guy's as well?  LOL  just kidding :wave:

amazing how triggered guys get about pliers...

11 mins ago, z-man said:

15 hours ago, Sudsy said:

They could cost $3000 but if that moment comes when you have a thrashing bluefish on one end of the lure and your hand stuck on the other, you'll suddenly realize that expensive pretty pair of pliers that can cut braid like butter is completely worthless.

11 mins ago, z-man said:

It’s ridiculous to expect people to be carrying heavy bolt cutters around with them. If you get hooked then either walk back to your truck and take care of it if you have tools in the truck or go to the ER. It’s just a hook/lure stuck to you. It’s not the end of the world. 

This sounds like you don't even know what this argument is about

Side cutting pliers, Sargent, Manley, Shimano, that can cut a hook have been around far longer than these pretty "Look at me I'm wanna be Pro Staff" aluminum things that are nothing more than glorified kiddie safety scissors.

I actually have a pair of decent aluminum pliers, but they only get used on the yak where I have an additional pair of heavy cutters or in my freshwater bag

For surf fishing, I want one of these (I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I've used)

Sargent's Side Cutting pliers

Shimano Blue Water

Sargent Sportsmate

(Manley's - but they rust easily so they're down the list)

5c8a982de2e7e_SargentBernardSideCuttingPliers.jpg.61594bbfa561a008fe03bf0dddeeaf4f.jpg

ShimanoBlueWaterPliers.gif

SargentSportsman.jpg

I'm buying a pair of the 6.5" Danco/Premio Titanium Pliers in the next few weeks. I'll put up a review of them soon since there tends to be a lot of questions about them.

Are those side cutters going to cut a 4x or 6x 4/0 treble at the shank? Even better - can you do that one handed with those pliers (in case you're fishing alone?). If so, I'd like to see that done...

My expectations for pliers - cut braid and mono reasonably well, be able to remove a 4/0-5/0 4x-6x treble from the mouth of a fish without the jaws becoming misaligned, be used to snug leaders. Stuff like that. Cutting hooks or any other task goes beyond my expectations for fishing pliers. I would either go VS or go cheap, nothing in between makes sense based on my experience. 

ps - I like my toys. I'm fortunate to be able to have nice toys too. When it came to the VS pliers, I didn't pay out of my pocket. I had a BPS credit card and used my points for them - a victimless crime from my wallet's point of view. I fully admit dropping $360 on pliers is a bit much. After owning them, I see their value. But to pay cash, I probably would still be using the el cheapos.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Are those side cutters going to cut a 4x or 6x 4/0 treble at the shank? Even better - can you do that one handed with those pliers (in case you're fishing alone?). If so, I'd like to see that done...

My expectations for pliers - cut braid and mono reasonably well, be able to remove a 4/0-5/0 4x-6x treble from the mouth of a fish without the jaws becoming misaligned, be used to snug leaders. Stuff like that. Cutting hooks or any other task goes beyond my expectations for fishing pliers. I would either go VS or go cheap, nothing in between makes sense based on my experience. 

ps - I like my toys. I'm fortunate to be able to have nice toys too. When it came to the VS pliers, I didn't pay out of my pocket. I had a BPS credit card and used my points for them - a victimless crime from my wallet's point of view. I fully admit dropping $360 on pliers is a bit much. After owning them, I see their value. But to pay cash, I probably would still be using the el cheapos.

To each his own, you're obviously going to spend your rewards points however you see fit.

...but...

Those same rewards points could have bought more plugs, reels, rods, etc.  Was there something about the VS pliers that drove you to dedicate the points there instead of something else?

Van staal are probably the best product currently. i have some original hansom pliers and they have been swimming with me for years now. if you can find old hansoms and are on a budget i would pick them up. I know others who have the newer style hansoms and they suck. I am wetsuting 90% of the time and my hansoms still have no issues, plus they are easy to take apart and grease if need be.

34 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Those same rewards points could have bought more plugs, reels, rods, etc.  Was there something about the VS pliers that drove you to dedicate the points there instead of something else?

Apparently no one wants to admit the obvious. They get them not because they necessarily do something better. They get them because of the name and maybe because its some sort of status symbol. OR maybe theyre somewhat ignorant about cheaper alternatives that do the same thing. :box:

8 mins ago, adams54 said:

Apparently no one wants to admit the obvious. They get them not because they necessarily do something better. They get them because of the name and maybe because its some sort of status symbol. OR maybe theyre somewhat ignorant about cheaper alternatives that do the same thing. :box:

I don't want to put words in people's mouths though.  I figured I'd ask - someone must have a reason why they think these pliers are worth the extra money.  Thus far, we have reliability, but I've been using cheapo aluminum pliers for some time now and I've never had an issue with one of them failing.  The cutters are wear items (on expensive and cheap pliers alike), so you can't go by that.

Aside from the hook cutting aspect, the VS plier is just about perfect. Almost indestructible, light, rust proof.  Zero maintenance require. Can you name one alternative out there that can do the same thing? The price is a bit steep if you have to pay for one with cold hard cash.  

4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

This sounds like you don't even know what this argument is about

Side cutting pliers, Sargent, Manley, Shimano, that can cut a hook have been around far longer than these pretty "Look at me I'm wanna be Pro Staff" aluminum things that are nothing more than glorified kiddie safety scissors.

I actually have a pair of decent aluminum pliers, but they only get used on the yak where I have an additional pair of heavy cutters or in my freshwater bag

For surf fishing, I want one of these (I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I've used)

Sargent's Side Cutting pliers

Shimano Blue Water

Sargent Sportsmate

(Manley's - but they rust easily so they're down the list)

5c8a982de2e7e_SargentBernardSideCuttingPliers.jpg.61594bbfa561a008fe03bf0dddeeaf4f.jpg

ShimanoBlueWaterPliers.gif

SargentSportsman.jpg

I know exactly what this argument is about I have a pair of side cutting pliers like your first photo but mine are black. I’ve had them for about 20 years. They live in a pocket in my tackle bag that either stays in the truck while surfcasting or comes with me in the boat. I’m not carrying them with me while walking the beach. I’ve never had to use them to cut a hook yet. Also an aluminum needle nose pliers works better at removing hooks than the stubby nosed side cutters.  I’ve had a pair of BPS Offshore Anglers aluminum pliers for around 8 years they work great at removing hooks and cutting braid and were under $40