The Salty Fisherman

Thoughts on High End Pliers

Rate this topic

174 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Really?  You have an unlimited supply of money - that's impressive.  Unlike you, I always have more fun things I could buy with more funds.

You still haven't said what it is these pliers do that make them better.  Mine don't corrode, they don't break.  They work as pliers.  About the only thing they can't do that yours will is convince someone that I threw away $300.

Must be nice to have an unlimited money supply. Unless I win the lottery (which might be difficult since I dont play) I cant imagine a point in my life where I can fund all my interests by blowing my cash on top of the line everything. Its actually fun mastering a pursuit to the level where you know whats overkill and whats not. $350 fishing pliers are a good example. 

I buy several $1 pair of pliers from Dollar Tree every season.   One pair lasts a good several months of hardcore use.

MAYBE I might have to use a new pair toward the end of the season but thats only if I'm negligent and leave them outside or on the boat to rust.

36 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Amazon has the Cuda Ti pliers on sale for $179.

If you’re gonna drop $180 on a pair of pliers do yourself a favor and spend the extra for the vs. I’m speaking from experience here. 

Theres two ways to go here - vs or the el cheapos. Anything else is half assed. 

46 mins ago, pakalolo said:

10" ace hardware needlenose, old phone cord whipped to one handle , nail clippers and a can of WD 40, all in for under $20. Use the extra $$$ for something you actually fish with. Cracks me up to see guys on the beach with enough gear to climb Mt Everest but can't even catch a cold.

I feel the same...Your comment describes it the best..

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Does one want pliers or hook cutters? If I'm looking to cut hooks I'm not going to reach for a pair of pliers...

Agreed, I didn’t buy my VS pliers with the intention of cutting hooks. I have a pair of hook cutters for that. 

48 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Theres two ways to go here - vs or the el cheapos. Anything else is half assed

Exactly!

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Does one want pliers or hook cutters? If I'm looking to cut hooks I'm not going to reach for a pair of pliers...

You carry an extra pair of heavy cutters when you're a mile from your truck ?

1 hour ago, Stewie said:

Hey Sudsy, I just quoted you so that you would see this. Sargent's pliers are still available for about $60. They are nickle plated but have padded handles. What do you think of the newer ones?  I'm thinking the nickle plating would put them a league above the Manley's (mine are dull after cuttting 150 or so hooks, thinking of replacing them)

sargents.jpg

I'm still using my grandfathers nickel coated pair that are probably pushing 75 years old so I can't say

Actually that's not true, they were put into backup status when I got the Sargent's Sportsman's pliers

(can't believe they stopped making the Sportsman, best pliers ever !)

If the finish on yours is as good as the finish on the Sportsman's pliers then you should be good for a very long time

Well just like with most things, there's many ways to skin this particular cat.  As you can see, some guys are ok with $1 pliers that they know they're going to replace every few months while some prefer the higher end models that will last a lifetime.  Same with reels - some guys are fine with the Penn 706 which they know they'll need to tear down every few months & some prefer a higher end reel which requires much less frequent maintenance. 

Personally, I learned years ago to buy quality products because they will last & I won't have to be bothered with constant maintenance. When I go fishing, I just want to grab my gear & go with the confidence that I won't have any issues. As for pliers, I've been using Donnmar/Checkpoint stainless for about 20 years with no issues whatsoever.  Not as expensive as VS but not cheap either.  They receive no special treatment - not even a fresh water spraydown after use.  When the cutters go after a few years I have to send them back for replacement which does cost money, but what I receive back is essentially a brand new set of pliers (new cutters, polished, lubed, etc).  So do what works for you but understand that there are pros/cons to every solution.

1 hour ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

I’ve heard about them... Aren’t they very difficult to get right now?

They have them on their site, I bought them direct from Danco. 

17 mins ago, Sudsy said:

I'm still using my grandfathers nickel coated pair that are probably pushing 75 years old so I can't say

Actually that's not true, they were put into backup status when I got the Sargent's Sportsman's pliers

(can't believe they stopped making the Sportsman, best pliers ever !)

If the finish on yours is as good as the finish on the Sportsman's pliers then you should be good for a very long time

And for cutting braid I keep a pair of these little $1 Fiskar kiddie safety scissors in every bag

Have a few pairs pushing 10 years old, still going strong with absolutely -0- maintenance

They cut braid like it's what they were made to do

5c8a6c17d1a39_Fiskar5inchChildrensBluntSafetyScissors.jpg.05b9d8c4cfa09f28bc9222e25b618e1a.jpg

2 hours ago, Stewie said:

Hey Sudsy, I just quoted you so that you would see this. Sargent's pliers are still available for about $60. They are nickle plated but have padded handles. What do you think of the newer ones?  I'm thinking the nickle plating would put them a league above the Manley's (mine are dull after cuttting 150 or so hooks, thinking of replacing them)

sargents.jpg

I don't the think the modern one as tough as the vintage ones due to the more environmentally friendly plating process. I bought 3 pairs from 3 different era. The oldest one ( bernard pliers ) definitely has the best fit and finish. The newest one from I think 1980-90 feel the cheapest of the three.

I guess I'll just stick with my old Manley's. They don't cut braid like they once did, but I have a sharp knife that can do that.

I go cheapos that rust up and replace them every year. The thought of dropping nice pliers in the water and watching them go to the bottom would ruin my weekend.

38 mins ago, Sudsy said:

You carry an extra pair of heavy cutters when you're a mile from your truck ?

Nope. That’s just plain old stoopid. In the last 30 years I have been hooked three times. One was twice in the same day (I was really dumb that day...). That one was 30 years ago, the other one was 2-3 years after that. Since then it hasn’t happened. It would be stoopid and unnecessary for me to worry about something that hasn’t happened in 25 years. 

The cutters are in the truck in case I need them. Key words = in case...