The Salty Fisherman

Thoughts on High End Pliers

Rate this topic

158 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Tagman said:

The VS pliers are the best hands down!  had mine for almost 15 years, never a problem. 

I love the guys who own VS, Torques, ZB reels, and they try to justify there $19.00 pliers. Seriously, they suck. At least I don’t have to rinse and lube my VS’s after every session.

It's pretty simple really - the VS reels I own are fully sealed, and they serve a very specific purpose and serve it well.  I can fish all day in the surf, dunking the reel a dozen times, and it's going to work like clockwork day in, day out with next to no maintenance.  The reels you buy for a third of the price don't.

The aluminum pliers I buy off Amazon for under $20 also cut braid.  They have split ring teeth, and their teeth are not grossly out of alignment (they're good enough for this task, I'm not servicing watches on the boat).

They don't require any maintenance, they don't break - they sit there on the deck, usually left out, used in the salt, and at most require a rinse of fresh water.  When the cutters fail, I toss 'em and replace with a new one.  Why not, the cutters are usually almost the same cost as a new pair of pliers anyhow.

And if they go overboard - and they will at some point with my kids - I won't be too broken up about it.

I'm a tools junkie - I have everything from Snap On tools to oscilloscopes and logic analyzers.  I've got every crazy tool you'd need for outboard engine maintenance, even if it was cheaper to take the boat in for service than it was to buy the damn tool (though it usually wasn't).  But overspending on one tool when you can find another one that can do the job the same way is just taking money away from buying other toys.

They could cost $3000 but if that moment comes when you have a thrashing bluefish on one end of the lure and your hand stuck on the other, you'll suddenly realize that expensive pretty pair of pliers that can cut braid like butter is completely worthless.

1 min ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

It's pretty simple really - the VS reels I own are fully sealed, and they serve a very specific purpose and serve it well.  I can fish all day in the surf, dunking the reel a dozen times, and it's going to work like clockwork day in, day out with next to no maintenance.  The reels you buy for a third of the price don't.

The aluminum pliers I buy off Amazon for under $20 also cut braid.  They have split ring teeth, and their teeth are not grossly out of alignment (they're good enough for this task, I'm not servicing watches on the boat).

They don't require any maintenance, they don't break - they sit there on the deck, usually left out, used in the salt, and at most require a rinse of fresh water.  When the cutters fail, I toss 'em and replace with a new one.  Why not, the cutters are usually almost the same cost as a new pair of pliers anyhow.

And if they go overboard - and they will at some point with my kids - I won't be too broken up about it.

I'm a tools junkie - I have everything from Snap On tools to oscilloscopes and logic analyzers.  I've got every crazy tool you'd need for outboard engine maintenance, even if it was cheaper to take the boat in for service than it was to buy the damn tool (though it usually wasn't).  But overspending on one tool when you can find another one that can do the job the same way is just taking money away from buying other toys.

100% spot on. I follow the same philosophy. 

7 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

But overspending on one tool when you can find another one that can do the job the same way is just taking money away from buying other toys.

Nah, I always have money for the “other toys” so I don’t care. 

The VS pliers are still better, and if they were the same price as the cheapos your buying, you would choose the VS. 

9 hours ago, beerdoh said:

Take a look at the Penn Bullnose pliers. They are made of stainless and come in 2 sizes. Very reasonable price. All the aluminum pliers with the inserts bend and twist when dehooking. 

I just checked them out, they look like a solid pair of pliers.  Especially judging by the fact that they are only in the 30-40 price range.  Seems like you can't really mess up with something like that.  

Not mentioned yet, Danco now offers titanium pliers very similar to the VS pliers for about half the price, they also have a lifetime warranty.

8 hours ago, Sudsy said:

They could cost $3000 but if that moment comes when you have a thrashing bluefish on one end of the lure and your hand stuck on the other, you'll suddenly realize that expensive pretty pair of pliers that can cut braid like butter is completely worthless.

Does one want pliers or hook cutters? If I'm looking to cut hooks I'm not going to reach for a pair of pliers...

2 hours ago, Tagman said:

Nah, I always have money for the “other toys” so I don’t care. 

The VS pliers are still better, and if they were the same price as the cheapos your buying, you would choose the VS. 

Really?  You have an unlimited supply of money - that's impressive.  Unlike you, I always have more fun things I could buy with more funds.

You still haven't said what it is these pliers do that make them better.  Mine don't corrode, they don't break.  They work as pliers.  About the only thing they can't do that yours will is convince someone that I threw away $300.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Does one want pliers or hook cutters? If I'm looking to cut hooks I'm not going to reach for a pair of pliers...

Which is where a pair of Knipex or other good cutters come into play.  They're heavy, they rust, but when it comes to getting that specific job done, nothing beats 'em.

10 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Hey Sudsy, I just quoted you so that you would see this. Sargent's pliers are still available for about $60. They are nickle plated but have padded handles. What do you think of the newer ones?  I'm thinking the nickle plating would put them a league above the Manley's (mine are dull after cuttting 150 or so hooks, thinking of replacing them)

sargents.jpg

2 hours ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

I just checked them out, they look like a solid pair of pliers.  Especially judging by the fact that they are only in the 30-40 price range.  Seems like you can't really mess up with something like that.  

Only drawback is they are heavier than alu and Ti. I have to say though, I rarely use them since I bought a hook remover. They are still on my belt because you never know but it's a heavy braid cutter.

7 mins ago, Stewie said:

Hey Sudsy, I just quoted you so that you would see this. Sargent's pliers are still available for about $60. They are nickle plated but have padded handles. What do you think of the newer ones?  I'm thinking the nickle plating would put them a league above the Manley's (mine are dull after cuttting 150 or so hooks, thinking of replacing them)

sargents.jpg

Wish they still made the Sportsmate. 

Sportsmate.JPG

10" ace hardware needlenose, old phone cord whipped to one handle , nail clippers and a can of WD 40, all in for under $20. Use the extra $$$ for something you actually fish with. Cracks me up to see guys on the beach with enough gear to climb Mt Everest but can't even catch a cold.

2 hours ago, MacCTD said:

Not mentioned yet, Danco now offers titanium pliers very similar to the VS pliers for about half the price, they also have a lifetime warranty.

I’ve heard about them... Aren’t they very difficult to get right now?