The Salty Fisherman

Thoughts on High End Pliers

Rate this topic

158 posts in this topic

VS was - at least at one time in the past - offering new cutters for maintenance. $35 and so much information, for marketing, that it irritated me, so I didn't bother. This was a couple of owners ago, so I don't know if the current corporate parent is doing it. 

Just like expensive sunglasses I don't get them anymore.  Nice but I always manage to lose them some how. Now when I lose something that goes for twenty or thirty bucks I don't feel so bad.

I can't see spending more on a pair of pliers than I have on any rod/reel combination. With minimal maintenance, my Manley's last ten or more years.

VS for over 12 years, still cut braid like day one. Never even think about them knowing they are there and ready for action. Pop in the dishwasher once a year then WD. It's a pleasure to use nice tools for any job. 

37 mins ago, afterhours said:

It's a pleasure to use nice tools for any job. 

I completely agree. 

38 mins ago, afterhours said:

Pop in the dishwasher once a year then WD.

Haha, interesting... I've never heard of anyone doing this.  Now that I am thinking about it, it actually seems like an really good idea.  :th:

The VS pliers are the best hands down!  had mine for almost 15 years, never a problem. 

I love the guys who own VS, Torques, ZB reels, and they try to justify there $19.00 pliers. Seriously, they suck. At least I don’t have to rinse and lube my VS’s after every session.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have 2 pair of Abel pliers in the old fire finish that I've had since the early 90's.  Set and forget.  Also bought my wife a pair of the smaller pliers.  She  loves them.

Edited by redlinerobert

I use Tsunami and it's fine for my non pro-staff fishing.  When they die, I've heard good things about T-Reign from Amazon.  That's enough for me.  I'd love a pair of VS but I can't justify the cost.

My Grand Mother use to say, “Tools make the man”.  I find it to be true, but I have a hard time justifying paying more for fishing pliers than some of the tools that earn me a living.

18 mins ago, redlinerobert said:

I have 2 pair of Abel pliers in the old fire finish that I've had since the early 90's.  Set and forget.  Also bought my wife a pair of the smaller pliers.  She  loves them.

The abels that I had weren't horrible but they definitely weren't capable of wrenching a 4/0 treble out of a mouth without the jaws twisting. FOr light work, they were fine, probably the second best pair that I owned.

This is probably the 10,000th pliers thread in the last few years, every one of seems to suck me in and I have probably given fishing pliers more though than the deserve.

To select fishing pliers, you have to first ask yourself two things:

First - what kind of guy are you? do you drive a quality vehicle or a 15 yr old rusty ****box, do you go to the best doctors in town or the urgent care, do you go to HR Block to do your taxes or trusted accountant.  When something in your house breaks, does it get repaired it properly or do you just slap some Flex Seal on it and hope for the best.  Basically this boils down the quality option versus the Jabroni option.  which guy are you?

Second - decide what type of fishing you will be using them for.  If you are a surf angler that is walking five miles down the beach, you essentially need an all in one tool.  Something that does many things well including cutting hooks. These guys can't figure out why other guys like VS pliers. "$350 an these things can't cut hooks, POS..." VS pliers are not designed to cut hooks. If you are a boat guy, it's a pleasure, an extravagance, a luxury to have a precision tool like VS pliers on your hip.  Are VS pliers mandatory - no, are they very nice to have - yes. Because if something really goes wrong, you have a tool box full of tools on your boat - like bolt cutters for cutting hooks.

So if you are going the Jabroni option - just get the 5 pairs of the Harbor Freight whatthe****evers - god bless.  If you are the quality guy, just suck it up and get the VS for the boat and if you are a surf guy get a pair of Sargents.

Take a look at the Penn Bullnose pliers. They are made of stainless and come in 2 sizes. Very reasonable price. All the aluminum pliers with the inserts bend and twist when dehooking. 

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I have a pair of the Van Staal VS pliers, which was a swap - waaay back when, Rob sent me a pair for permission to use a couple of photos I'd taken for some bit of promotional literature.

The side cutters don't align anymore and don't cut braid. I haven't had them fixed, if I need to trim braid I use a knife or the serrated scissors that live in my car. As an ordinary pair of pliers they're OK, not as useful as needle nosed pliers would be. They live in my basement. 

Want to sell or trade them? 

34 mins ago, Cpalms said:

This is probably the 10,000th pliers thread in the last few years, every one of seems to suck me in and I have probably given fishing pliers more though than the deserve.

To select fishing pliers, you have to first ask yourself two things:

First - what kind of guy are you? do you drive a quality vehicle or a 15 yr old rusty ****box, do you go to the best doctors in town or the urgent care, do you go to HR Block to do your taxes or trusted accountant.  When something in your house breaks, does it get repaired it properly or do you just slap some Flex Seal on it and hope for the best.  Basically this boils down the quality option versus the Jabroni option.  which guy are you?

Second - decide what type of fishing you will be using them for.  If you are a surf angler that is walking five miles down the beach, you essentially need an all in one tool.  Something that does many things well including cutting hooks. These guys can't figure out why other guys like VS pliers. "$350 an these things can't cut hooks, POS..." VS pliers are not designed to cut hooks. If you are a boat guy, it's a pleasure, an extravagance, a luxury to have a precision tool like VS pliers on your hip.  Are VS pliers mandatory - no, are they very nice to have - yes. Because if something really goes wrong, you have a tool box full of tools on your boat - like bolt cutters for cutting hooks.

So if you are going the Jabroni option - just get the 5 pairs of the Harbor Freight whatthe****evers - god bless.  If you are the quality guy, just suck it up and get the VS for the boat and if you are a surf guy get a pair of Sargents.

So what do think about pliers?.....lol