The Salty Fisherman

Thoughts on High End Pliers

Rate this topic

174 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, vinnyb said:

A bit of an exaggeration but I get your point.  I guess it all depends on what your priorities are.  I personally think 5 bucks for a cup of coffee is ridiculous but there's always a line at Starbucks.  Those people must be wealthy too ;-).

Haha....yeah....agreed.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:49 AM, The Salty Fisherman said:

Awesome, can't wait to see the pics

Big thanks to Scott from Discount Tackle in Bradenton, FL for shipping these out ASAP after I placed my order over the phone. Pics below. 

6FBFED20-4654-44F3-93A2-CF6249C3D5B9.jpeg

EC6B69FC-ECBE-431B-BF52-0BC0581D1ABE.jpeg

0A2D021F-6584-4F04-8A9A-ED68BB469E7F.jpeg

51D57854-71DC-48E5-826D-2F630F91DD56.jpeg

48EC61A0-F1C4-4C65-BDE1-9A7BC468F08F.jpeg

BF188407-6505-46D8-9B3A-68290BFFF2D5.jpeg

I have a pair of Manley and a pair of Sargent pliers that are 10+ years old that work as well as the day I bought them. The get rinsed with whatever is left in my water bottle and wrapped in an oily rag in my truck between trips. They are cleaned and oiled at the end of the season. Knowing I can cut a hook if I have to gives me peace of mind. 

14 hours ago, nycstripers16 said:

Big thanks to Scott from Discount Tackle in Bradenton, FL for shipping these out ASAP after I placed my order over the phone. Pics below. 

6FBFED20-4654-44F3-93A2-CF6249C3D5B9.jpeg

EC6B69FC-ECBE-431B-BF52-0BC0581D1ABE.jpeg

0A2D021F-6584-4F04-8A9A-ED68BB469E7F.jpeg

51D57854-71DC-48E5-826D-2F630F91DD56.jpeg

48EC61A0-F1C4-4C65-BDE1-9A7BC468F08F.jpeg

BF188407-6505-46D8-9B3A-68290BFFF2D5.jpeg

They’re gorgeous, how do they feel?

2 hours ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

They’re gorgeous, how do they feel?

They’re smaller than I imagined and I don’t have enormous hands but they feel incredibly solid. Not as heavy as VS but for less than half the price, I’d recommend them. The sheath is good too. Good retention, bungee leash on them. These were a gift for my brother so for myself I’m contemplating the 7.5” pair. 

They look nice & I really like the design. Hopefully they hold up - please report back after a season of hard use. 

Have to say after reading this thread I'll add my 2 cents. After experiencing multiple fails with aluminum pliers bending on bluefish and supposedly anti rust pliers freezing up due to lack of timely maintenance on my part, I sucked it up and bought a pair of vs pliers. I believe I found them on sale for $290 and I still felt like a fool for spending that much money on a pair of pliers. That was 7 years ago and I have to say in hindsight that was some of the best money I ever spent on fishing gear. I still love using them to this day and have put them through everything and they still work like new. And if I lost them tomorrow I'd do it again.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Debates like this are as old as time and they always make me laugh. Personally, I only catch big fish, that need big hooks, while on a boat so I keep big tools on it (ie. cutters). I also keep a can of WD40 and maintain my tools the same way I maintain my rods and reels. When I'm fishing from land it is usually freshwater and I carry a pair of hemostats and I always have a leatherman in my pocket. I also crush the barbs on all my freshwater hooks. There is pretty much nothing that a more expensive tool can accomplish that those two don't. If I was splashing around in the salt all the time I'd be much more likely to INVEST in some expensive tools that are made for that job but for me it isn't worth it or neccesary. I think that is the answer to OP's question: Not every tool is the same for every job.

Now if you REALLY want to get people riled up ask them about what knife they carry! You'll have the $10 Gerber guys and the $1,000 custom blade guys at each other's throat in no time lmao.

Edited by jvisconti