The Salty Fisherman

Thoughts on High End Pliers

Rate this topic

158 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, vinnyb said:

At the end of the day I throw my saltwater-dunked Donnmar pliers in my truck & do nothing. Repeat for an entire season x roughly 10 years. They do go back to the mfr once every few seasons for new cutters & a refurb. Again, it all depends on how much time you want to spend maintaining your gear on a daily basis. Having to wash/lube my pliers after each use would drive me nuts. To each his/her own.  

There is no tool out there that can take the continuous abuse of being exposed to salt water and not freeze up or corrode out completely. Your statement sounds like torro mielda . Tools must be maintained by cleaning and lubrication to extend their lives..

Edited by sytheteacher

43 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

Your statement sounds like torro mielda .

Don’t know what that is but what I’ve said is 100% accurate based on my personal experience. I’ve never rinsed or lubed my pliers - not once. To be fair, I’m sure Donnmar does this when I send them in for new cutters every 2-3 seasons. 

7 hours ago, phishallways said:

The never ending debate.  I figure vs pliers cost me about fifteen bucks a year as of now*, and hopefully I get another 20+ years to use this pair before dropping dead. 

These threads always crack me up. With the money we all spend on gear over our fishing lives, the three hundred bucks spent on pliers that will be handed down to our grandchildren's grandchildren, after never being washed(and still perfect?) Is scrutinized... I've replaced everything around my pliers (other than my arse)multiple times, and these pliers are still like new. I forget they are even there- except when I need them. Then they work beautiful, yet again. I think money well spent, again. Oh, and I probably could still sell them for 300$, and someone would be getting a good deal. 

Very well said.  

2 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

There is no tool out there that can take the continuous abuse of being exposed to salt water and not freeze up or corrode out completely. Your statement sounds like torro mielda . Tools must be maintained by cleaning and lubrication to extend their lives..

You need to buy some better pliers designed for fishing. I’ve had a pair of $40 offshore anglers pliers for around 8 years and have never lubed them. The only maintenance they see is the occasional rinse to get the fish slime off. 

What is everybody doing with their pliers?

Personally, i'm not swimming out and casting on a rock so my needs are not as demanding as others. At worst I'm in near chest deep water wading the flats. I only need pliers to cut braid or mono, and long enough to remove hooks without loosing a finger. Should I need to cut a hook out of a finger, dykes are in the truck. 

4 hours ago, Sheisty said:

Personally, i'm not swimming out and casting on a rock so my needs are not as demanding as others. At worst I'm in near chest deep water wading the flats. I only need pliers to cut braid or mono, and long enough to remove hooks without loosing a finger. Should I need to cut a hook out of a finger, dykes are in the truck. 

Use a scissor or nail clipper for braid when tying, pull the knife when doing fast and rough cut like tangle and windknots.  Cutters on pliers sucks, especially for braids.

4 hours ago, Sheisty said:

I leave mine tethered to my Yeti cooler so they don't get lost... JK