The Salty Fisherman

Thoughts on High End Pliers

Rate this topic

158 posts in this topic

I have heard very mixed opinions about the more expensive pliers on the market.  Many people say that they are the biggest waste of money ever while others say that they are wonderful and worth the investment.  Hers is a list of some of the pliers that I am talking about.  I would love to hear your experiences with them or why you would never buy a pair...

• Van Staal VS Pliers
  • Abel Pliers
  • Hatch Outdoors Nomad Pliers
  • Hatch Outdoors Tempest Pliers
  • Orvis Pliers
  • Accurate Piranha
  • Cuda Titanium Alloy

I may be forgetting a couple, but for the most part, these are the big players in the high-end plier market.  The price ranges (of these pliers listed) anywhere from 89.00 to 500.00.  

The best pair of pliers on the market is the Schrade Multi Tool... They are stainless steel and fold up for storage and have all the tools needed for fishing combined... And best of all they are around twenty bucks...  I gave each of my sons one of these tools for fishing..  I personally like to use a nail clipper and a pair of long nose Vice Grips for fishing.. The nail cutter to cut lines and the long nose Vice Grip to remove hooks.. 

Had VS pliers for about 13 years now. Absolutely no problems with them. I fish between 50 and 100 surf trips a season. Same cutters and they still cut braid and mono. I just rinse them with fresh water and spray with WD40 once in a while. Great product and tool. 

I have a pair of the Van Staal VS pliers, which was a swap - waaay back when, Rob sent me a pair for permission to use a couple of photos I'd taken for some bit of promotional literature.

The side cutters don't align anymore and don't cut braid. I haven't had them fixed, if I need to trim braid I use a knife or the serrated scissors that live in my car. As an ordinary pair of pliers they're OK, not as useful as needle nosed pliers would be. They live in my basement. 

I buy cheapo aluminum pliers from Amazon.  I'm sure the VS pliers would be nicer, but I'm using them on a boat and I've lost more small tools to the ocean than I'd care for the DEC to know (I'm probably my own Superfund site).  I have VS reels that I love, and I've kicked around the idea of buying VS pliers, but I keep coming back to - what do my current pliers not do that I wish they could?  And the answer is really nothing.

I do keep a pair of Knipex cutters for hooks in case of emergency, but those are away in a toolbox and not an overboard risk.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Had VS pliers for about 13 years now. Absolutely no problems with them. I fish between 50 and 100 surf trips a season. Same cutters and they still cut braid and mono. I just rinse them with fresh water and spray with WD40 once in a while. Great product and tool. 

Agree

Edited by Wire For Fire

20190313_182721.jpg.50d223f30a87655136d8c46a987e4e45.jpgPersonal preference. I'm a bean guy and took a ride with these last summer. New product and was just over 100+. Sheath grommet is just about rusted out and lanyard is not trusted anymore. Was my first pair of pliers. Generally use cheap baker hookout product before and really I still use them 99% of the time. Granted I could do a bit of maintaining on the beans. Oil more and clean most rust off. They do still work and do cut braid still. Wouldn't buy another pair of any pliers if I didn't have to though. Hookouts work just fine

Edited by Crabba

I got a pair of the Orvis pliers back in the early 90's; they were around $80 back then. They still cut tippet and wire easily with hardly any upkeep. The cutter part screws off for a change over if needed; which mine don't. No rust, no issues; they are great. Bought a pair of $20 cutters for another fishing pac a couple years ago and they are rusty already.

I twisted a pair of steel pliers in one day while bait fishing with big hooks. I bang them back to workable condition back home, still misaligned, but workable.  I cannot see how a pair of aluminum pliers can survive. 

32 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

what do my current pliers not do that I wish they could?

I guess that is the real reason why myself and many others are so reluctant to purchase a pair of pliers in this price range...  Although they seem extremely nice and flashy, what do they really do that a pair of cheaper pliers cant?

I have had pliers given to me in the hundred dollar range   

Take my Klien’s Needle-nose  There my favorites .  Just give them a little WD 40 . Cleans any rust build up .   

Great to pull hooks out and cut when I need to.    Also can cut a barb of a hook if needed 

also so forget the plastic ones /  Their a joke?

Edited by ccb

I bought abel, donmar and accurates before I bought my vs, since then I haven't purchased any additional pliers. IMHO, they are worth it. I went the el cheapo route for a long time. They rusted, I threw them out. I lost them, I didn't care. That's certainly an option too.

Back to the vs, they require almost no care. I don't rinse mine all that often, I've never oiled them. Still have the original cutters (they don't cut like they were new but they work fine). They live on my surf belt, I can use them all spring, let them sit for the summer months and they'll be perfectly fine when I go use them in the fall.

39 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I have a pair of the Van Staal VS pliers, which was a swap - waaay back when, Rob sent me a pair for permission to use a couple of photos I'd taken for some bit of promotional literature.

The side cutters don't align anymore and don't cut braid. I haven't had them fixed, if I need to trim braid I use a knife or the serrated scissors that live in my car. As an ordinary pair of pliers they're OK, not as useful as needle nosed pliers would be. They live in my basement. 

How do you have them fixed just replace the cutters? Im asking because mine the pliers ends dont line up.dont know if the can be fixed