theshadow

Dying materials.Both natural and synthetics

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I've used Rit and Kool -Aid to dye bucktails and hackles over the years.A friend gave me some powder dye from Majic Carpet Dyes in a couple of colors.This person uses the dye to color wool for rug hooking.She teaches classes all around the country.It's an acid dye.Has anyone ever used this brand?

15 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

I have not. But if it works in natural wool, why wouldn’t it work on bucktail?

Agreed! Curious about measuring and any pitfalls that come with this product.Also,ratios for different shades.Rit has a color chart available.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:08 PM, fishing pete said:

Pinks. Yellows. ^^^

No chartreuse?

I buy those locally. Otherwise I'd be spending hundreds on dyes. I tie those for fluke in the salt, and for smallmouth in fresh. I have more jigs than I could ever fish with in my lifetime, but I keep tying, and I still suck at it, but as ugly as some of mine are, they still catch fish.. I keep buying jigheads. It's like reloading. I spend so much time loading, I don't have time to shoot.

Acid dyes are generally used for protein based substrates, so should work fine for hair, fur or feathers. May also work fine for nylon materials. 

I've never used that brand, but I'm sure there are many brands. I use acid dyes from Dharma Trading Co., their own brand, and Jacquard brand. Just depends on the colors that I want.

I've just dyed some fox & coyote tails. Needed an olive color, but only had avocado green dye. I mixed in a little brown and got closer to what I wanted. Turned out a little more green than I wanted, but will be fine for what I'm tying. Also dyed some brown, and some straw color. The "straw" color was obtained with the same avocado dye, by using less dye & not keeping it in the dye batch very long. Dyeing over materials that have some natural pigments in the material can make some cool colors. If you want the color of the dye, then over white will get the best result when that's possible.

Acid dyes need two things to dye properly, heat and an acid to set the dye. Heat your water to 160 to 200 degrees F. I seem to get the best results around 170-180 degrees. Distilled water is desirable, but  not necessary as long as the water doesn't have a lot of lime or chlorine in it. These can affect the dye.

I use white vinegar to set the dye. but there are acid alternatives available. 

The biggest issue with dyeing your own will be getting repeat results. What I just dyed I winged it for the most part. Otherwise, I've gone to great lengths to weigh, measure and document how much water, dye, temperature & vinegar was used in order to get repeat results and still there's no guarantee's. For most do it yourself dyeing, it's not going to be critical.

Some dyes are easier to get good results than others. Chartreuse and pinks seem to dye easily. Black is tough, but I was told to dye blue first, then black over it, and that seems to work well. Otherwise, I got some nice gray colors. 

Green's are not particularly difficult, but olive shades can be. 

I very much enjoy dyeing as I have gotten some unique colors for flies & jigs that are not generally available from the tying materials suppliers. That's where learning to dye your own really shines and of course the possibilities are endless. 

The tails I just dyed will be used to tie some hair jigs for a friend on mine who live & fishes in WV. They won't be typical of what most folks might use. :)

thumbnail_IMG_0715.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0724.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0726.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0727.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0728.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0720.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0716 (1).jpg

Thank you! I dyed a couple more today and got closer to the color that I wanted. I'll post them too once they dry some. 

I started dyeing materials about 1980 or around there. I wanted colors that were not being sold by the supply houses. That fox tail color works great for flies & jigs. I really like such colors on Bonefish, Redfish, Bass and Carp flies, because it looks more natural than typical colors many of them are tied in. 

I've experimented ( played really) with mixing dyes and have gotten some real nice colors ( my opinion of course) that I have not seen from commercially dyed sources. 

I'm not convinced that color is always a big factor, but like many things with fishing, something different often produces when the typical doesn't. :)

Having confidence in in something makes you work[fish] it better.I'll carry a box of 50+ flies in a box and maybe use the same 5-6 most of the time even if I don't catch.Then, out of the blue I'll "try" something that's been in the box for months/years and never got wet.

2 hours ago, theshadow said:

Having confidence in in something makes you work[fish] it better.I'll carry a box of 50+ flies in a box and maybe use the same 5-6 most of the time even if I don't catch.Then, out of the blue I'll "try" something that's been in the box for months/years and never got wet.

Agreed! When I'm fishing from a boat, I carry two large boxes of flies, topwater & subsurface in various sizes & types, that I'm sure is well over 50 flies. It's highly probable that many folks do this, especially those of us who tie our own! When I tie something "new", I may tie it on first, to see if it will perform as I want, but if I'm not catching with them, then often revert to what has worked well in the past. I've been using some of the same style flies for over 50 years, because they work. I have flies in my boxes that I may have tied years ago too, experiments & odd patterns, or flies not typically used for the fishing I'm doing but I thought might work well, that eventually will get wet I'm sure. Often, I simply need the right motivation to give them a try. :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tidewaterfly nice colors on the tails. I was so impressed I just ordered a 12 pack of tails from my favorite web site...very reasonable too.

Do you follow Dharma's recommendation to use 1/4 cup of vinegar to a pound of material?

What happens if you add more than 1/4 cup?

Edited by fshng2

good looking dye jobs . i agree it's tough to repeat results . if i were more precise and materials were more uniform , i would probably have better luck . 

thanks , jim