jeffreyrichard

Fishfinder for Hobie Compass

7 posts in this topic

I just bought a Compass ... I have a CellBlok (battery box and transducer arm mounts on rails), but I think I want to take advantage of the transducer mount and have a cleaner setup. I also want to upgrade to a color FF with GPS, but I'm not looking for an expensive unit ($100-$200). My current unit is a Hummingbird Piranamax B&W display.

Most of the reviews I've read list the Garmin Striker 4 as the best in the lower end category. Has anyone mounted and used one of these in a Hobie?

What are your thoughts on the Lowrance Hook (lower end)? Not rated as highly as the Garmin, but I'm really looking for the bread and butter features. Is the trade-off between a Lowrance with it's seamless fit vs the Garmin worth it?

I am going through the same thing. Have an old black and white unit and want to upgrade. I've been speaking to a ton of folks and it all depends on what you need. I'd write down what you must have, like you said, color, gps, price, then you can narrow it down. You will probably get many different opinions but from the info I've been gathering most people suggested to me lowrance/humminbird, then your ray marine and garmin, but ask 10 different people get 10 different results. I see lowrance has a hook 2 4x w/ gps for $120 but there are no maps if that garmin striker has maps (which is a must for me) I'd go with the garmin, but up to you. Do the research for your needs and avoid paying for something you won't use. 

personally I don’t like the new Hook2 series. I was a huge fan of the original hook series but after using the hook2 for a season definitely wish I still had my original hook. the garmin stryker is nice for sure 

1 hour ago, peterwilliam said:

personally I don’t like the new Hook2 series. I was a huge fan of the original hook series but after using the hook2 for a season definitely wish I still had my original hook. the garmin stryker is nice for sure 

Curious what you don’t like? I have a Hook2 5 splitshot and it seems fine besides two issues I’ve had, both possibly linked to the use to dielectric grease. One was the temp got stuck at 79 degrees (head unit replaced under warranty) and the other was the connectors not staying seated because of air pockets created by the grease. 

Other than that my only real gripe is that the buttons don’t light up, but I guess that may be typical of a cheaper unit. I have an older Elite DSI that has them and it’s a nice feature. 

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

Curious what you don’t like? I have a Hook2 5 splitshot and it seems fine besides two issues I’ve had, both possibly linked to the use to dielectric grease. One was the temp got stuck at 79 degrees (head unit replaced under warranty) and the other was the connectors not staying seated because of air pockets created by the grease. 

Other than that my only real gripe is that the buttons don’t light up, but I guess that may be typical of a cheaper unit. I have an older Elite DSI that has them and it’s a nice feature. 

just not a fan definitly don’t like how you can’t run downscan/sonar at the same time. and I hate the way the cables plug into the back of the unit compared to how it use to be 

10 mins ago, peterwilliam said:

just not a fan definitly don’t like how you can’t run downscan/sonar at the same time. and I hate the way the cables plug into the back of the unit compared to how it use to be 

I’m with you on the cables but on mine you can run downscan and sonar at the same time.  Must be a difference in the screen size or maybe you have an X model?

6 mins ago, drmevo said:

I’m with you on the cables but on mine you can run downscan and sonar at the same time.  Must be a difference in the screen size or maybe you have an X model?

yes exactly brotha